The C5 aftermarket wheel complaint thread, help!

Diamonds

Plain and simple.

"My friend" is interested in buying a C5 corvette. He thinks that the wheels that people run on this bodystyle of vette are often too commonly seen.

Teh truth is, I do like CCW wheels, they are great, but i see them everywhere. I'n not looking to pony up and buy HRE's (me being honest, i dont have 5k to throw at wheels, especially when they are extremely common)

Then you have every copy-whore basement company that makes fored wheels that are great quality, but essentially they are jsut a variation or knockoff of another forged wheel,..... it's all been done before.

Then you have the Cray wheels which are about 2300.00 a set (very reasonable...) but cosntructed just like every other pressure cast (i assuem that they must be pressure cast due to the price) wheel out there so there really is no advantage (construction-wise) to buying them.

So finally (my last rant of the thread) the other son-of-a-bitch is that corvettes run a 5x120.65 (4.75) which is extremely close to BMW's 5x120 bolt pattern, thus allowing me to fidn something new and unique....

^^^^ ......but upon research i have found that some agree that they fit without "rolling" issues and some disagree that they will roll "true".. (I'D LIKE EVERYONES OPINION/FACTS about this)

So basically, thank you for listening to my rant.

I want (from you guys)

1. pics of C5's with reasonably priced unique wheels ($3,500 or less)

2. verification (one way or another) if i can run a BMW bolt pattern

3. other thoughts or opinions

TY

Despite your comments about the CCW's being too common, I think their C14 and C10 are the best wheel for the money on the market right now. Where else can you get forged wheels in any custom fitment you want for $2700.

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/gallery/corvette/c5/c14/4l.jpg

If you force the 120x5 wheels onto a car MEANT for 5x4.75 you WILL break the studs. Ask me how I know. I recently sold dragknee my Falken Koblenz which were 5x120 that were bolted onto my Camaro 5x4.75 aka 5x120.65 THEY DO NOT FIT. Sure, they mount and etc. but after a few dismounts and remounts the studs will bend and come off with your lugnuts. DO NOT put those wheels on that car unless you want to make the road less safer then it already is. That being said, Vettes are cute :)

Edit. I ended up replacing every lug which was NO fun. Ask my brother James (Gillbot on here) and a few other guys on LS1tech about running GTO wheels/BMW wheels on a Vette/FBod bolt pattern, it just isn't safe.

• Confused 1

If you force the 120x5 wheels onto a car MEANT for 5x4.75 you WILL break the studs. Ask me how I know. I recently sold dragknee my Falken Koblenz which were 5x120 that were bolted onto my Camaro 5x4.75 aka 5x120.65 THEY DO NOT FIT. Sure, they mount and etc. but after a few dismounts and remounts the studs will bend and come off with your lugnuts. DO NOT put those wheels on that car unless you want to make the road less safer then it already is. That being said, Vettes are cute :)

Edit. I ended up replacing every lug which was NO fun. Ask my brother James (Gillbot on here) and a few other guys on LS1tech about running GTO wheels/BMW wheels on a Vette/FBod bolt pattern, it just isn't safe.

^^^ PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, that's what i like!!!

I am convinced! Thank you sir!

^^^ Redrilled in the original 5x120 holes? I dont think that is a good idea, that will allow for "wiggle room" for the lugnut to but loosen and ruin the wheel, redrilling a 5x114 might be an option, dual lug pattern never hurt anyone.. .hmmm

Andy, please explicate on your idea!!

My suggestion was to redrill the existing holes.. I'm sure there is a way to do it without the wiggle room you're worried about. I can't say that I've ever personally looked into something of that extent but I hardly doubt it's possible.

Tell em to get a C5Z06 or he's wasting his time....

QFT. the seat-o-pants meter can tell a difference turning, braking and accelerating.

oh and if you haven't found wheels that look good on the car and that not may people have than you haven't tried. there are so many wheels out there its not even funny and in the price range you want. and who cares if they are cast or not. mine on the vette are cast and they are stronger than the fordged wheels. also only weigh 21lbs. 18 x 10.5.

QFT. the seat-o-pants meter can tell a difference turning, braking and accelerating.

i am a corvette novice, what are the major differences between the c5 and c5zo6

oh and if you haven't found wheels that look good on the car and that not may people have than you haven't tried.

I have seen different wheels, some that i have liked, but to me there was nothing that i would consider "breathtaking"... and talk about the classifieds etc... there "ain't shit" on those boards...

there are so many wheels out there its not even funny and in the price range you want.

I = newb

and who cares if they are cast or not.

I kinda do, spun barrels are so much less brittle than cast barrels, plus... cast wheels just look cheap, and the centers are so convex (normally), i hate it

mine on the vette are cast and they are stronger than the fordged wheels. also only weigh 21lbs. 18 x 10.5.

your wheels? from a noob perspective, they look like the 2001 Z06 Alcoa wheels (which were in-fact forged)

But to counter your last point without turning this into a full-blown argument... Forged wheels are almost 100% always stronger than a cast replica/counterpart.. not always lighter (denser metal).. but most definitely stronger. Even the most high tech casting technique usually fall short of a forged product.

they look cool for stockers, but i want somethign more agressive... are they 01 z06 alcoa wheels? if they are, they are forged.

i am a corvette novice, what are the major differences between the c5 and c5zo6

your wheels? from a noob perspective, they look like the 2001 Z06 Alcoa wheels (which were in-fact forged)

But to counter your last point without turning this into a full-blown argument... Forged wheels are almost 100% always stronger than a cast replica/counterpart.. not always lighter (denser metal).. but most definitely stronger. Even the most high tech casting technique usually fall short of a forged product.

they look cool for stockers, but i want somethign more agressive... are they 01 z06 alcoa wheels? if they are, they are forged.

you are right and wrong on your metals. the 2001 wheels were made my alcoa and are forged. the 2002-2004 were made by speedline and are a spun cast, that makes them stonger and lighter than the forged 2001's. they look the same, the speedline wheels have there name cast into the back of them. they cut 1/2lbs per wheel by going with them.

c5 to c5z is huge, not only is the weight less but they went crazy doing it. the windshield is 5lbs lighter but just as hard, the suspension is way different(shocks, sways, springs, alignment) the LS6 is in it and the M12 transmission, it has different gear ratios than the MM6. Fixed roof on the vert frame. no fog lights, it got brake ducts. manual power seat with a 6 way power driver. the cluster says Z06 on it. Ti exhaust from the axle back.

there is more so you can read up on it here.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showpost.php?p=1551356372&postcount=4

i wouldn't waste money on a non C5Z, even with upgrades you would have the same money in it than if your "buddy" just bought a Z. if "he" wants to ride in mine or look it over just PM me.

you are right and wrong on your metals. the 2001 wheels were made my alcoa and are forged. the 2002-2004 were made by speedline and are a spun cast, that makes them stonger and lighter than the forged 2001's. they look the same, the speedline wheels have there name cast into the back of them. they cut 1/2lbs per wheel by going with them.

c5 to c5z is huge, not only is the weight less but they went crazy doing it. the windshield is 5lbs lighter but just as hard, the suspension is way different(shocks, sways, springs, alignment) the LS6 is in it and the M12 transmission, it has different gear ratios than the MM6. Fixed roof on the vert frame. no fog lights, it got brake ducts. manual power seat with a 6 way power driver. the cluster says Z06 on it. Ti exhaust from the axle back.

there is more so you can read up on it here.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showpost.php?p=1551356372&postcount=4

i wouldn't waste money on a non C5Z, even with upgrades you would have the same money in it than if your "buddy" just bought a Z. if "he" wants to ride in mine or look it over just PM me.

I feel like I should take notes

http://www.fikse.com/y_street.html

http://www.budnik.com/roadwheels.asp

http://www.hrewheels.com/wheels.html

i don't even know where else to look i have looked at so many wheels lol. you can also get ahold of IPS or Wheel Medic, pretty sure either one of them can set you up with many books of wheels to look through.

HRE are too expensive for me. And every pic that people posted are what i consider to be "all-too common"

You know what, i just realized something... i'm in denial.... Basically, i keep wanting to see wheels with flare (japanese high end)... and all these wheels are so "american".... i have come to terms with it, fuck!!!

i want to see the C5's with the wheels that 95% of a vette forum would say "those don't belong on that" (and im not referring to cheap skinny honda 17x7s or gangsta-ass 22's) ....you know, like.... show me some Work wheels on a corvette, Show me some AME wheels on vette, SHOW ME SOMETHING!!!!

^^^ I am searching as well on a daily basis, i just want the experience vette guys to "throw what they know" out there!!!

Thanks guys!

Vette with TE37's... even though you cant tell.... (disregard the wing)

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Mike%20Garrett/Random_Snap/vette1.jpg