NHRA Drag Racer Dead :(

ChevyMan1972

Everyone,

My dad just called me and said that about 1 hour ago Scott Kalitta DHL Solara fuel funny car, age 46 was killed today from a crash in NJ. Jim Head is number one in qual. But this is sad new's in the NHRA..

It is not posted yet online but it will be soon..

RIP Scott!

Daniel

E-towns run off area is way too short.

at the speeds they are going now i think all the tracks should have longer run offs. this isn't the 60's anymore.

i saw the crash when we went out to dinner and it was the worst one i have ever seen. the shoots were tangled together.

E-town is one of the oldest tracks and their run off is like half of what most tracks have.

That will change now though.

Yeah, it's just sad that it takes a death for people to wise up. A friend of mine did this as a design project in his crash safety class.

Everyone,

I just wanted to share some things that I have been thinking of, as I sit here and look around on the net for exactly what happened to Scott, it breaks my heart. Here it is 2:30 am in the morning my wife and 3 kids are all a sleep as I toss and turn in my bed thinking about Scott and his family. My dad has been working with the NHRA and Jim Head for over 30 years, my father spends over 9 months on the road racing and doing what he loves to do. As I sit here watching the videos of the racers talking about the event today and talking to my father on the phone 800 miles away, I am hurting inside...I am lost for words about this hole situation...the fact that it could happen to Him or my father I pray to god for there safety and keep them in our thoughts knowing that god will be with them doing what they do best.

Here is a link to a video that has just put me into tears, I could not hold them back, thinking of all the people that I know that have lost there lives the last couple years, George...we are still thinking of you my friend you will never be missed. It is going to be a rough couple weeks in the NHRA, next weekend is Norwalk's tour the 27th - 30th There will be an erie feeling around the pit's next weekend without Scott being there.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3455678&categoryId=2378529

Good night everyone and please stay safe out there, our lives can be taken from us at any point...as is the case for Scott Kalitta :cry

Thanks for reading

Weaver family

Having a short runoff is one thing. But having a fucking CONCRETE WALL at the end is ridiculous. I know it's an old, historic track but the NHRA should make better choices about where they choose to run their races.

Having a short runoff is one thing. But having a fucking CONCRETE WALL at the end is ridiculous. I know it's an old, historic track but the NHRA should make better choices about where they choose to run their races.

Yea it might hav been better to run into the trees... but i think thats why the wall is there... to protect the tree line. Probably someones property who doesnt care about anyone else and wont sell an acre to let them extend it. Im sure theyve tried to before.

Just out of curiosity, I took a look at the track on Google Earth. The concrete wall doesn't cross the track perpendicularly, its actually a continuation of the right lane wall that gradually sweeps around BEHIND the sand trap, and at no point is it more than 10 degrees of angle across the track. Behind the wall is a thin strip of trees, and then the reason for the short run-off....Pension Road, which is the ONLY access road into the entire motorsports complex and airport! PLUS.... right across Pension road is a wooded area with lots of topo lines. Dunno what it was/is, but it's steep!