Rally Guys

,,,,,,comma,,,,,,

I just went to my first rallyX on Saturday to watch Draco-REX.

It was really cool, basically an AutoX on dirt. Mostly Subaru's, there was an Evo, new SI, and 2 MKIII Golfs.

I think you just have to sign up online, and have a helmet.

I would not use your DD though, seems to be pretty rough on the cars, lots of dirt/rocks/big bumps etc.

RallyX is like any form of racing; you have to be willing to break it, to make it. But if you're just out there for fun, you don't have to beat on your car. To a point, RallyX can be easier on your car than AutoX since there's less side-loads on the car.

But overall, it's a hell of a lot of FUN! :D

You don't need anything to race RallyX except a car and a valid driver's license. Every race I've gone to has had loaner helmets even.

Like anything, your car has to pass tech, but all that means is that you have belts, good wheel bearings, a battery that's secured, and nothing that can get under your brake pedal.

OVR is the local region, you can find their website at http://www.ovr-scca.org/ I also go to races in the Dayton area which is the Western Ohio Region ( http://www.worscca.org/ ) And sometimes to the Detroit Region ) http://www.detroit-scca.org/ ) You can find information, schedules, and registration from those websites.

I don't pay as close attention to AUtoX, but there should be plenty of those. FOr RallyX, OVR is on hiatus (So we don't fill your drag racing engines full of dust) until September, but WOR is having a two-day event August 16th and 17th. To get full points, you have to be there both days, but you can only show up for one day if you just want to have fun. Then there's another 2-day for OVR in September, and ANOTHER 2-day in MI in Oct. Finally, the national championship is in Nashville at the end of October which is a 3-day event.

Most RallyXes are one-day events like AutoXes. We're just hitting a bunch of ends and beginnings all at once (end of WOR season, Beginning of OVR season, and a National + end of Divisional in MI).

I'm currently trying to decide between going to the WOR 2-day on the 16th and 17th, or going to a new type of event in MI on the 16th. There is a SuperMoto going on that day, and the organizer wants to have an exhibition of rally cars on the course so he's asking for rally-looking cars to come race and there's some good prize money on the line. I can't decide. The new event sounds like fun (80% tarmac, 20% dirt) and the possible money for the top 5 places is nice. But WOR is just a GREAT region for RallyX and Smoke and Mirrors raceway is just a fun track.

If anyone has any questions about RallyX, and/or would like some help to get started, please feel free to PM me. I'm more than happy to help.

^^^^^^^^ Listen to Draco........He was throwing down some great times last weekend(Best of the day I believe)

Did you ever get your antenna back?

Well, best in the first half. I was too slow to recognize what I had to do with my suspension in the afternoon. If I had listened to my gut feeling after the first run, I would have held onto my lead, if not fastest time.

As for the antenna, I got it back, but the mast is broken. I'm debating whether to have it fixed, or go to another antenna solution since this one didn't work well.

I've decided to go to the WOR 2-day RallyX 8/16-8/17. If anyone would like to check out RallyX, you're welcome to tag along and come watch, or even come race.

WOR has a "Rental Car" that you can drive for the day for $25 (in addition to the regular registration fees). So if you want to try RallyX but don't want to commit your car just yet, you can get a taste of it. Last race there was a newbie who tried out the Rental Car. He was talking about a new car he was getting that he was planning to AutoX. After the race, he was thinking of how to modify it to run RallyX. :)

Both days will have races, but you don't have to attend both to race. If you just want to have some fun in the dirt, you can come whichever day you like. I'll be hitting the road 7:30-8:00am Sat morning, and will be camping on-site. You'll know me by the crazy blue bugeye with all the stickers.

FWIW, if it isn't stupid hot that weekend, I'll be going to both the WOR and OVR 2-day events as they're a good value. However, I won't be competing for place, I'll just be driving for the fun of it. That means if anyone wants to come out for the first time, I'll be available to give rides or to go for rides with people so you won't be twisting in the wind all on your own.

This may be a bland questions but what do I need to do to get started in SCCA racing like drivig courses exc.

Also if I buy a stock wrx what needs done to make it race ready?

As far as courses, I don't know if they offer any RallyX driving courses, but if you want to do a Rally driving course, Team O'Neil is the most well-known in the US. I'm considering going later this year. The only down-side is the cost.

http://www.teamoneil.com/