How to clean a big plastic water tank?

XChris1632X

I just got two 500+ gallon plastic tanks for a good deal and I would like to clean them out. I have no idea what they stored in them before hand, but neither one smells very harsh. I need at least one of them to haul freshwater back to my house. We are having problems with our well and our sistern(sp?) is running low due to the lack of rain water. I just want to make sure I am not going to contaminate anything. What can I use to ensure that these tanks are safe to use?

I'm gonna second the opinion that you shouldn't use them for drinking water. Only use new tanks, or tanks that you can be sure were only used for drinking water before.

Tanks that size could have been used for any number of horrible chemicals, many of which would either not be neutralized by bleach, or could produce even worse chemicals in reaction to it.

our water buffalos get a gallon of bleach, 1/2 fill with water, 8 hours of bouncing around behind a vehicle. these are stainless tanks that have only had water in them, however. For your tanks, after a through cleaning and rinsing fill with water, let set for 24 hours, then send a sample to the co health dept for anylis. They can tell you how safe it is.

Well the worst thing that I thought might have come in them was some type of degreaser. I will try to clean them up and atleast send a sample out to get it tested. If it doesnt test alright then I will know it is no good. If it does then I am safe I guess.

Gut tells me to drink bottled water at your place :confused: IMO, I wouldn't use anything like that for water going to my family for consumption.

I just got two 500+ gallon plastic tanks for a good deal........I have no idea what they stored in them.........I need at least one of them to haul freshwater back to my house........ What can I use to ensure that these tanks are safe to use?

Gut tells me to drink bottled water at your place :confused: IMO, I wouldn't use anything like that for water going to my family for consumption.

We actually only drink bottled water. We use the the water I am talking about that would come through the faucets and for showering/washing dishes. I am going to at least give it a shot washing, I'll send a sample in to get it tested. If it does not come back good then I will use the tank for diesel fuel or something. I wonder how much cheaper I could get the fuel if I went to a distribution place and had them fill up 575 gallons on the spot? I would have enough fuel to last me two years.

Definitely get it tested. I'm sure Dr. Rick can chime in with detail, but be aware that your skin will drink in contaminants just like pouring them down your your gullet.

We actually only drink bottled water. We use the the water I am talking about that would come through the faucets and for showering/washing dishes. I am going to at least give it a shot washing, I'll send a sample in to get it tested. If it does not come back good then I will use the tank for diesel fuel or something. I wonder how much cheaper I could get the fuel if I went to a distribution place and had them fill up 575 gallons on the spot? I would have enough fuel to last me two years.