Boating Question

Drewhop

I'm thinking about picking up a boat and i looked up some info but a lot of it I just don't know what I need.

I guess I don't need a Boating permit because I was born before 1/1/1982.

What do I need to do?

What do I need to keep on boat with me to make sure everything is legit?

What is good boating etiquette?

What are some of the rules and laws I need to know once I am on the water?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks Andy

The legaleez stuff you can find on the DNR website.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/watercraft/tabid/2726/default.aspx

Best possible boat etiquette. Learn how to launch and recover the boat in 3 minutes or less. Boatramps cause people to lose 50 IQ points.

If its my first time launching boat should I take a big sign that says

"I am going to need more then 3 minutes" Or wait until other people clear out so i can practice lol.

If its my first time launching boat should I take a big sign that says

"I am going to need more then 3 minutes" Or wait until other people clear out so i can practice lol.

your first time i would recommend taking someone that knows what they are doing with you, or going to a ramp that is barely used. Week nights are generally a good time to go practice stuff like that on Alum.

Main things you need are:

Flares/distress flag, audiable horn or some kind, life vests for everyone on the boat, throwable life presever, flame supressor thing on your carb.... I'm sure there is more that I am forgetting. If you wanna meet at Alum sometime I can help you launch it sometime, I only live 10 mins away.

I should have the boat this weekend but I have to do a bit of work on it before its ready for water. Its a 16 Foot Aluminum Fisher Marine boat with 60 hp Evinrude Outboard Motor on it. Nothing fancy but it will do what I want it to do.

Thanks for the help I will let you know if i need help in the next couple weeks.

Ugh, boat ramps. So many retards.

I've actually had people compliment me (well, people on my boat, since I was moving too quickly to chat) about how they were glad to see someone that knows what they are doing.

I can typically get the boat in the water, have someone start it, and off the trailer, in about a minute...two if there are any issues. Pretty much the same getting back on; normally it is waiting on whomoever is behind the wheel to get it up on the trailer; once on, I'm out of the water in 30 seconds to a minute. It's really not that freaking hard.

As for things to do to have proper etiquette:

- Don't cut off other boaters, and stay as far from others as you reasonable can.

- Any time you see someone in distress, come to their rescue. It's not like you can call AAA on the water.

- Be efficient at the ramp. When you are getting your vehicle, have someone drop you off at the dock, then PULL AWAY. NEVER, EVER tie off the boat and prevent others from using the ramp. That pisses me off so freaking much.

- Make sure your boat is in running order BEFORE trying to get it off the trailer. Start it at home every time until you are sure she is running solid.

Other things:

- Always pay attention to the depth of the water. Put the outdrive up in shallow areas. Don't try to get on plane in shallow water

- Spare props are your friend. Or if you do a modular prop like I have (Piranha), spare blades.

- Never start your boat without having water feeding it. VERY BAD.