Corrective glasses people...

excell

As much as this pains me to say, I need glasses. I still have 20/20 vision, but my eye exam revealed that my muscles are working too hard to near focus, which is causing distance focus issues and giving me terrible strain and discomfort. The eye doctor recommended at the very least a set of reading glasses, but said I'd do much better to get a bi-focal.

1) Is it really worth it to get a bi-focal and wear them more regularly than to get a set of readers that I take on and off as needed?

I went to Rinkov and while I was pleased with my exam, they were pretty high-pressure on the glasses up sell.

2) Is there a more down to earth and/or cheaper place to get my prescription filled? I have insurance, but they only pay x amount.

Thanks. :(

I have had glasses since I was about 12 years old. I am nearsighted. I would have to say get bi-focals if your eyes are straining now i know from personal experience the headaches can suck. I was i think 20/18 or vice versa and glasses completely eliminated all problems I was having. Alot of the bifocals have seemless design so you can not even tell they are bifocals. Just my two cents.

Hope it helps

I would just go to walmart and get a cheapo pair of reading glasses if that is the bare minimum that you need. As soon as you start wearing glasses all the time your eyes deteriorate(sp) even faster, at leat that is what happened to me. I have just recently made the switch to contacts and that is ALOT better than have to worry about glasses all the time.

I have been wearing glasses off and on my whole life. If you don't mind wearing glasses full time get them. If not just go with the readers. I'm investing in some contacts here in the next few months I'm getting tired of wearing glasses

I would just go to walmart and get a cheapo pair of reading glasses if that is the bare minimum that you need.

I'm considering that too. ~$20 seems like a cheap way to decide if full-time wearing is really for me.

If you don't need glasses full time, then don't don't get ones you have to wear full time. I've never liked bifocals, they always annoyed the shit out of me. You can't just look around in different directions, you end up having to move your head more to be able to focus through the right part of them. But anyway, if you have no trouble with distance seeing, just get them for up close, and at the exam be sure to tell them you use computers a lot, and be prepared to wear them the whole time you are in front of one. That's probably the main cause of your eye strain, to be honest.

I have a cane from my grandfather you can have next there old man :) oh...wait.....I'm old too :o

IMO, get the el-cheapo's from wallmart. I did. Only really where them when I'm reading and even then it's not really necessary, but feels better for me.

I'm fighting the far-sightedness with a passion.

Everyone reacts different to glasses. I have worn them since I was about 12 years old. I just can't go without them anymore. Who cares what it looks like, you'll forget about that when you don't have to strain anymore or get headaches. Rinkov sucks, I didn't like them very much when I went there 6-7 years ago, my boss went there and couldn't even wear the damn glasses they hurt his eyes and gave him a headache. Lens Crafters FTW, nothing but good luck with them, my daughter, and my wife. I would suggest a second opinion. You could try the cheapies from WalMart, but those aren't prescribed so it isn't really the same. Good luck with that.

I wear my glasses all the time, for the last five years or so... they really arent that bad.

Buy the reading glasses to see if youll actually wear any at all before going out & paying a lot of money for prescription glasses.

+1 for the wal-mart "cheaters". break them, lose them, youre out 20 bucks, no biggie.

if ant insists on calling you "four eyes", you can always remind him of his incredible transforming waistline.

I bought my glasses down there and I can't see goddamit!

Good opinions in here, thank you all for your insight. I'm gonna head to Target tonight to check out a pair of cheapies. I gotta do something soon, my eyes are killing me. :(

if ant insists on calling you "four eyes", you can always remind him of his incredible transforming waistline.

LOL