Another thread for the Mechanics

XChris1632X

What do you guys do to protect your tools? Last summer I brought my box home from work while I was away in basic training. My barns do collect a lot of moisture and a lot of my tools, especially my snappy impact sockets started build surface rust. My work has always been pretty dry but I am still having the same problem with them developing a bit of rust every couple weeks. Right now I am soaking and coating them with PB Blaster, but I leave in November for Saudi Arabia for 6 months and I do not want them ruined. What would you guys suggest for preparing them?

I wash all my tools and tool box with WD40. The only rust on my toolbox is where I've dented it or put deep scratches in it, but even then, it's only minor.

Never tried PB...

Thinking about this, I have a funny story about loooooonnnnngggg term tool storage. Out in NM at the family ranch, we went to an estate auction. While there, I bought a gooseneck flatbed. There was a toolbox on the front and when i got it home, I opened it to clean it out and ready the trailer for paint. I found 4 five gallon buckets inside. I was thinking, WTF? I tried to pick them up and thought, WTF is in there.

I got them out and was pouring the first bucket into a 55 gallon oil drum, when...SPLOOSH...I got fucking oil all over me. Well, you've probably figured it out by now, so yes, they were full of handtools! After a quick run through the parts washer, they came out spotless.

Apparently, the old man put them in there on purpose to preserve them. I talked to his grandson later and he also found some other tools the same way. We still aren't sure when he put them in there or why, but it worked!

Anyways, I'd suggest heavy doses of WD40 or possibly dipping them into oil and then placing them in bucket for easy storage somewhere.

I wash all my tools and tool box with WD40. The only rust on my toolbox is where I've dented it or put deep scratches in it, but even then, it's only minor.

Never tried PB...

Thinking about this, I have a funny story about loooooonnnnngggg term tool storage. Out in NM at the family ranch, we went to an estate auction. While there, I bought a gooseneck flatbed. There was a toolbox on the front and when i got it home, I opened it to clean it out and ready the trailer for paint. I found 4 five gallon buckets inside. I was thinking, WTF? I tried to pick them up and thought, WTF is in there.

I got them out and was pouring the first bucket into a 55 gallon oil drum, when...SPLOOSH...I got fucking oil all over me. Well, you've probably figured it out by now, so yes, they were full of handtools! After a quick run through the parts washer, they came out spotless.

Apparently, the old man put them in there on purpose to preserve them. I talked to his grandson later and he also found some other tools the same way. We still aren't sure when he put them in there or why, but it worked!

Anyways, I'd suggest heavy doses of WD40 or possibly dipping them into oil and then placing them in bucket for easy storage somewhere.

I have always been told the WD contains water and without constant lubrication will actually enable things to draw rust.

I really might just get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with oil and all the tools I think will rust. My chromies I don't have to worry about though, never had a problem. Has anyone noticed that lately Snap on's chrome is not up to par. A couple of my bigger ratches are peeling like crazy. They def will not waranty for this either.

Guest Removed
I really might just get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with oil and all the tools I think will rust. My chromies I don't have to worry about though, never had a problem. Has anyone noticed that lately Snap on's chrome is not up to par. A couple of my bigger ratches are peeling like crazy. They def will not waranty for this either.

put them in the vise and break them, or bend the hell out of them...

they will take care of it then...