Columbus: #1 place to retire says Forbes

TimTaylor751647545500

Columbus: #1 place to retire says Forbes

Factors like the cost of living, jobs and access to health services make these cities tops for those in their second acts. A significant number of Americans will soon retire, but many won't be looking so much for a place to settle down as to live it up. That's what they'll find in Columbus, Ohio. This river city tops our list of most affordable places to retire, thanks to reasonably priced housing relative to income and a 4.5% inflation rate that allows a buck to stretch a little further than other quickly growing areas. With tens of thousands of Ohio State Buckeyes, folks will enjoy the verve and energy that comes with a bustling college town.

http://images.forbes.com/media/2008/08/27/retire_10.jpg

Home to the Ohio State Buckeyes, Midwestern Columbus has a low cost of living and affordable housing--seniors seem to get along just fine. More than a fifth of folks over 65 are employed, and that age group only constitutes 6% of persons living under the poverty level, which indicates that independent living is en vogue in this river city.

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/americas-most-affordable-places-to-retire.html

I've also lived in Rochester, NY, Biloxi, MS, San Antonio, TX, and Sacramento, CA. Columbus has been my favorite place to live, mostly for the reasons they list there. Even though the winters aren't that bad (compared to Rochester, where I was born), if I were to change one thing, I'd reduce the snowfall even more. But I really like it here. I think if you've lived in a few other cities you might realize that it's not that bad here... :nod: