question for the engine builders

natedogg624

Keep a shop vac nearby, to pick up the old gasket pieces. Rags to keep stuff falling down in where you can't get at it. Something always gets in. Drain it out with the oil. If you turn the engine sideways, stuff falls off, not in.

i rebuilt a 22re, i don't remember the thermostat being like that.

ahh, but i'm more of a honda guy. or was anyways.

I just redid it in June. I was shocked when I saw it.

Honda huh, I enjoy Honda's..........in my rear view mirror. Although some of those darn integra's give me a run for the money. otherwise I have never lost yet to a honda.

I just redid it in June. I was shocked when I saw it.

Honda huh, I enjoy Honda's..........in my rear view mirror. Although some of those darn integra's give me a run for the money. otherwise I have never lost yet to a honda.

ohh, i could think of some that would give you a run for your money ;)

This is what I would do:

1. The circlip or 1/2 ring centered but not really that important as long as it is there and yes it is short but you can look at both ends for signs of breakage or wear.

2. Start with fingers, move to putty knife, finish with utility knife blade. When using the blade or a sharp putty knife, lay it almost flat against surface and work it side to side but do not scratch the surface. Wipe surface with brake cleaner,carb cleaner,simple green,mineral spirits, anything that will clean the oil off. I usually go straight to the utility blade.

3. Leave the gas off or out of your tank till you turn it over a few times. This is just a trans repair the engine is already broke in you don't need oil in the cylinders but a small amount won't hurt anything. As far as assembly lube I would use motor oil ( doesn't matter what kind thicker may be better ) other additives may mix with your oil and get on your clutch plates.

4. When you do start it up, let it idle, keep an eye on the oil light in should go out in 3-5 seconds.

Good Luck