FastTrax School Review at Nelson Ledges in Ohio

TwitchMacabre

On 18 June, I drove up to Nelson Ledges http://www.nelsonledges.com/ for a track school with Fasttrax http://www.fastone.com/ The day started of like any other track day, reregistration, and a tech check. Then the riders were split into an A group and a B group. A group were the faster riders and riders that already did a previous B Group day. B group are folks that have not been to the Nelson Ledges track yet. There were 30 bikes total for the day. 26 in B group, 4 in A group. Being my first time to Nelson Ledges I went into the B Group. After registration and Tech inspection we split into our groups for the classroom brief/ first class. The instructors first question in B group was "Who has been to a track before"? I was the only one to raise my hand. So i got kicked out of B group and sent to A group. A group had 4 riders with 4 instructors. The way A group worked was, they assigned us to one instructor while on free instructor rode around evaluating our performance. So three groups with a roaming instructor. There were 3 sessions in the morning, and 4 in the afternoon that lasted 25 mins apiece.

First session was track familiarization and the instructors could get a feel for our level. Second sessions was to work on reference markers, third session was body positioning, for the rest of the days sessions was to work on individual goals. One thing I wanted to work on was entry speed, so an A instructor worked with me, one on one with that. Then the last sessions was to crank of laps, working on the stuff I learned that day. At the 5th sessions, these Ohio boys and a Brit did not fair so well in the heat. 91F. They would be out for 10 mins then come in cause they were making mistakes, not crashing but showing mental fatigue. Good on them for being safe. One girl in the A session crashed twice in the morning, 1st time went off track, 2nd time scrapped her center stand on her Ninja 250.. she got a ride to the hospital for hitting her head a little too hard.

When you get to A group, you can asked to be evaluated by a instructor to see if you can attend the racer school. One of the students on a R1 LE was being evaluated, as the day got hotter, in the last session he got mentally tired and went off the track. No crash just missed a turn, being smart he went into the pits. So the Last couple of sessions, it was me and 3 instructors on the track. MOTORCYLE BLISS! What really helped me out was using reference markers. Brake hard at the bridge, turn in on the asphalt patch and apex at the dead squirrel. My body position was good, except I kept my head in behind the windscreen, the roaming instructor would pass me, then while in front of me bang on his helmet then point out. I got the clue. I knew my head was in the right place if I felt the wind on my neck while in a corner. Overall a very good track day, I got much out of it.

Fasttrax gets two thumbs up. They create a positive family atmosphere, encourage growth and learning while ensuring everyones safety.

No action pics, but some of the SV at the track, and my chicken-stripless tires. :)

Who was your instructor? Clutch had Lee, on an R6, the first time, and Mike Molnar on a CBR1000 for his test. I'm being nice by saying Nelson is rough, but one thing we payed attention to was the fact that every one that rides it loves it. Tod and his Mom do a good job of running Fasttrax.

Pops

I've always liked Fastraxx. They were the first school I ever did.

Pops is right about Nelson. I absolutely love that track, but I don't think I'm going to go riding a bike on it. On the other hand, it would be great training for riding on the street as you have to dodge the patches in the road...haha. I think I'll stick to cars up there.