Myrtle Beach and Bike weeks...

Putty

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some relation that lives very close by, and they have said the second week is a problem.

Black Bike Week is a much younger crowd..so I'm not surprised there are more idiots and incidents.

Having said that, you can't tell me that the first bike week was not an issue either. The # of deaths alone during the first rally is enough to throw a flag up.

Just look at the stupidity at the Dragon, a lot of people going down there and treat it like a race track. Look how Tennessee reacted. Dayton and Sturgis are different deals. A lot of the activities have been moved out of Sturgis and to the Buffalo Chip and the Broken Spoke...........

I've read about Myrtle Beach wanting to shut this down for at least a year now. I also remember reading an article in a fairly mainstream bike mag (SR, 2WT, or Motorcyclist probably???) a year or 2 ago about BBW & how it needed to be better organized & less rowdy

Kind of how Ft. Lauderdale got tired of their "party" reputation & the crowd it was attracting, and put the clamps on Spring Break.....Even though they were kinda the "original" spring break capital

This is probably why both weeks were canceled.

http://naacpblogs.naacp.org/blog/?p=31

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2023747/posts

In reading other articles, this strategy allows the City of MB to do what ever they want because there is no bike week.

I cannot believe that most of the national chain restaurants closed during the bike week. Some really bad stuff musta been going on. I just can't believe the House of Blues, Damons and other name brand would just close their doors.

I just read the NAACP article with all their lawsuits, + the other link. Can someone explain to me why there needed to be a second, segregated bike week anyways? Isn't one week enough for everyone to attend?

Just look at the stupidity at the Dragon, a lot of people going down there and treat it like a race track....

That wasn't entirely the issue at the Dragon. The main issue was the number of emergency runs and injuries that occurred on 129. And guess when that became an issue - when all of the HD';s descended upon the place about 5 years ago and instantly began crashing all over the place.

For 20 years prior to that, they were no problems as only sportbikes and sport tourers frequented the place - they had crashes as well, but not 10-15 per day. In the 1980's the place was pure heaven to ride. Then the Harley's came and fucked it all up with talentless riders, loud pipes, group rides of 25 bikes, etc.

Fuck Harleys. Fuck'em all.

Edited by Earache

That wasn't the issue at the Dragon at all. The main issue was the number of emergency runs and injuries that occurred on 129. And guess when that became an issue - when all of the HD';s descended upon the place about 5 years ago and instantly began crashing all over the place.

For 20 years prior to that, they were no problems as only sportbikes and sport tourers frequented the place. In teh 1980's the palce was pure heaven to ride. Then the Harley's came and fucked it all up with talentless riders, loud pipes, group rides of 25 bikes, etc.

Fuck Harleys. Fuck'em all.

now are you upset with the Harley's or cruisers in general? because In most threads I'm left to assume that people are grouping My cruiser in with the Harley people cause all harley's are cruisers.... cept for the Buells... is this the case? If I have a cruiser I'm just as bad as the Harley people of which you speak? Just trying to clairify...

now are you upset with the Harley's or cruisers in general? because In most threads I'm left to assume that people are grouping My cruiser in with the Harley people cause all harley's are cruisers.... cept for the Buells... is this the case? If I have a cruiser I'm just as bad as the Harley people of which you speak? Just trying to clairify...

Your cruiser is quiet, you ride within your limits and generally act like an adult, (from what I've seen anyway:D). If HD guys acted like this then I, and I suspect some at Myrtle Beach, would have no problem with them.

I don't see too many metric cruisers doing stupid shit. And it's probably a smaller percentage of HD guys that do stupid shit. But I can't remember the last time I saw an HD with a factory pipe still on it. So I end up lumping almost all HD's together and not including metrics in that group.

edit: Have you guys been to Daytona before? I can't imagine having that mess in my city. People would revolt against it like they're doing in Myrtle.

The MotoGP races hads a lot of bikes, but few HD's. I never heard of any traffic, noise, public drinking or public sex act issues with the crowd at all. Think it'd be the same if we had a huge Harley event in Indy?

Edited by Earache

Your cruiser is quiet, you ride within your limits and generally act like an adult, (from what I've seen anyway:D). If HD guys acted like this then I, and I suspect some at Myrtle Beach, would have no problem with them.

I don't see too many metric cruisers doing stupid shit. And it's probably a smaller percentage of HD guys that do stupid shit. But I can't remember the last time I saw an HD with a factory pipe still on it. So I end up lumping almost all HD's together and not including metrics in that group.

what if I told you I've been looking at aftermarket pipes to improve the power band and airflow , but would make my bike a bit louder then stock.... would you feel the same?

what if I told you I've been looking at aftermarket pipes to improve the power band and airflow , but would make my bike a bit louder then stock.... would you feel the same?

Are you trying to define the point at which people turn into "motor reving at stoplights" douchebags? I don't know where that line is and what makes people want to cross it.

It's not just the pipe, it's how these people chose to behave.

Are you trying to define the point at which people turn into "motor reving at stoplights" douchebags? I don't know where that line is and what makes people want to cross it.

It's not just the pipe, it's how these people chose to behave.

gottcha.... like I said just trying to define what makes a douche in your eyes.... and kinda amplifying the point that not all cruiser riders are that way... And, even if I had a harley I probably wouldn't be that way either...

gottcha.... like I said just trying to define what makes a douche in your eyes....

And it's not like my opinion is worth anything anyway:badgerrock:

Edited by Casper
fixed quote

gottcha.... like I said just trying to define what makes a douche in your eyes....

And it's not like my opinion is worth anything anyway:badgerrock:

well, in certain ways it is... one way it matters is this, I wouldn't want to ride with you if you felt that my owning a cruiser (by definition) meant that I was obnoxious or a " douchebag" , it would be an unfair assumption of my character. So, knowing where your opinions and feelings lie is very important, at least to me anyway... I couldn't ride with someone that didn't respect me.. I'm sure the same goes for you...

Edited by Casper
fixed quote

well, in certain ways it is... one way it matters is this, I wouldn't want to ride with you if you felt that my owning a cruiser (by definition) meant that I was obnoxious or a " douchebag" , it would be an unfair assumption of my character. So, knowing where your opinions and feelings lie is very important, at least to me anyway... I couldn't ride with someone that didn't respect me.. I'm sure the same goes for you...

Hey Chris......Here's my stab at it, FWIW.

Even though both bikes are classified as "cruisers", I personally think there's a different mentality/personality/thought process that buys each.

Generalizing....Harley's tend to be "club" bikes. You're buying almost more for image & the social life that comes with the brand. Harely has brainwashed you into drinking the kool-aid with everyone else, to buy their inferior product 'cause it's "cool". A link to the ol' "wild, wild west". They've actually convinced people you're an individual outlaw if you buy/ride with the herd. I think some of these "sheep" are the problem children & trouble makers, 'cause they can't think right/wrong for themselves

V-Rod owners are a little different though, as I think they fall more into the next category, even though they stayed HD, but are still shunned by some of the "faithful". Hell.....Harley's are so "socially acceptable" now....I actually feel more of an outlaw on my sportbike if I ride it to any of my kids events where other parents are. I can just imagine what they're thinking of me....."Ohhh....he's one of those punks" ;)

I think metric cruiser people fall into 2 main categories......They either love that type of bike's look/aesthetics &/or riding style, but are prudent enough people to know they want something more reliable, affordable & well built than HD's overpriced junk......Or they're buying a metric as a "step up/training bike" 'cause they can't afford a Harley yet. If the latter's the case.....Please see above 18.gif

Generalizing again....I think it takes a more independent thinker to buck the trend/herd & buy a metric cruiser knowing full well you're gonna take grief for it all the time from the HD zealots, but sticking to your guns anyways for what YOU want.

Anyways.....That's my take on how you & your bike are different.

That being said.....Do I want a Harley some day? Sure....though I can't picture when that would happen. It would have to be as a 2nd bike, I think, 'cause I don't envision myself as an HD "guy" & that being my only ride. But I've ridden a few of my friends, and they are a fun change of pace....for a little while.....So I guess I'm a hypocrite to my own opinion/theory! :D

hide.gifflamethrowingsmiley.gif

Edited by Fonzie

gottcha.... like I said just trying to define what makes a douche in your eyes.... and kinda amplifying the point that not all cruiser riders are that way... And, even if I had a harley I probably wouldn't be that way either...

ill help ya out chris............. you are a douche......... end the thread now... quickly:(

:lol: :lol: