long distance riding

bigbluebird

I had a 2004 SV650S. I rode it 580 miles in 1 day from Cleveland Ohio to Norfolk Virginia. I had the Suzuki Gel Seat. It is great for about 450-500 miles. Those last 80 miles sucked. I was alright up until that point. I only stopped for gas so I didn't take that many breaks. I have since sold my SV and bought a Hayabusa. I already started the mods for a ride down to the Gap. I will be sending my seat to Tobin. His seats are better then any aftermarket seat out there.

I thought you were trailering down to the Gap. Change of plans?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 2004 SV650S. I rode it 580 miles in 1 day from Cleveland Ohio to Norfolk Virginia. I had the Suzuki Gel Seat. It is great for about 450-500 miles. Those last 80 miles sucked. I was alright up until that point. I only stopped for gas so I didn't take that many breaks. I have since sold my SV and bought a Hayabusa. I already started the mods for a ride down to the Gap. I will be sending my seat to Tobin. His seats are better then any aftermarket seat out there.

Good to see you made it over here. Gonna make it to the Bash in April?

I will be sending my seat to Tobin. His seats are better then any aftermarket seat out there.

A Corbin seat is 5X the seat a Tobin is based on comfort.. Trust me I had both and the Corbin is the seat to get.. I know I'm going to catch hell but a Tobin seat is 50% looks, 40% fad and 10% comfort. It is a fad with Hayabusa owners. Matter of fact, the guy who used to make Tobin seats broke off and is making his own I do believe. It is still the stock pan with different padding(sometimes less) and a new skin. People who bought them swear by them.. Then the people who actually ride long distance go and buy a Corbin.

Same thing with the Pazzo levers IMHO.. They look good but I don't see much difference in feel..

• 2 weeks later...
Just take the trip,have good rubber under ya and have some warm clothes and good rain gear,a break down will give ya a story to tell. I ride an old bike and just pack it as I see fit so just do YOUR ride any way you want to...

DSC_0006-1.jpg

I gotta say I love my mustang seat on my bike and the nelson rigg bags def hold the gear I need for long trips....

Just take the trip,have good rubber under ya and have some warm clothes and good rain gear,a break down will give ya a story to tell. I ride an old bike and just pack it as I see fit so just do YOUR ride any way you want to...

DSC_0006-1.jpg

I gotta say I love my mustang seat on my bike and the nelson rigg bags def hold the gear I need for long trips.... love the nelson rigg bags....

Some bar risers, Helibars or those $300 adjustable ones will help out with the back problems, the 1 1/2" Helis made a big difference on the ZX6 for the occational trip to Iron Pony.

A nearly upright position works best, it puts less weight on the wrists/shoulders and lets you move around more.

I've found the KLR is a serious long trip machine, upright and LOTS of legroom, hell I can let my feet hang free over the pavement without any worry of them dragging unless I go into a turn. The PO put on the Kawi gel seat, don't know if that helped since I haven't sat on the stock 08 one.

I'm going to take the EX500 to Arizona in a few weeks since the KLR still needs some work from the wreck, it's getting some risers even though it's a "sporty" standard position, I may even rig up some highway pegs on the front of the frame. That may come in handy after they put all that titanium through the knee.

A tank bag with a map window is pretty freaking handy too. Good raingear, you never know when you'll end up in a downpour, wet clothes will cause hypothermia before you know it.

If you're going far, basic tools. 3/8" ratchet with metric sockets and a 6" extension, a few wrenches, allen wrench kit, make sure you have what you need to pull off your wheel to change your tires. Flats are a fact of life. Chain maintenence stuff, like oil/wax.

I've never used one, but from what I've read an iphone or smart phone with net access can find cycle shops, motels, resturants, weather, traffic problems. Sounds like a lifesaver. A lot of people like GPS units too, but to get the waterproof ones is $$$.

Edited by psyco1

Just make sure your head stays in "clean" air, if it puts all that wind at head level, it'll buffet your helmet around, my KLRs PO was a tall guy and had the Kawi tall windshield on and it gave me a case of bobblehead. That was changed to stock quickly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i am still looking at a few bikes but i want something that is not going to kill me i want to get it next season then ride all season and get ready for christmas 2010 so i can see my parents here is the trip.from (Fairfield to destin florida 791miles) is goin to be with my truck ( 599miles from in-laws house to my house in florida )

Edited by Reaper

• 1 month later...

planning a few trips this year so i decided to up my game when it comes to camping equipment. i wanted to go super light so i found a bug hut to keep the critters off, two tarps to keep the rain off and my butt dry and a super light sleeping bag. total weight of the kit is only 5 lbs

plus i figured i needed a bit more space to carry everything since i don't have all the carry space like steppenwolf i had to get creative. so i modified a duffel bag to hold all of the kit

(pics of the bike kitted out to be added later today)

bug hut

b967233c-2ddf-4025-88db-f2c0efaa1522.jpg

so here are the pics

i took a standard duffel bag and added some loops

it holds my sleeping bag, shelter, and 5 days of clothes with a little extra room and since it is held on with buckles it is an easy on easy off when you get to a stop and want the bag off

and all this for about 40 dollars and a little stitching

and since it all worked out so well i might spring for a red bag to match the bike

bag1.JPGbag2.JPGbag3.JPG

You can count on that! We aren't planning our first trip for at least another week or two, but I promise I will post some pics of the bikes all loaded down and of course pics from the trip that I imagine are going to make everyone jealous