Camshaft help (yeah another one of these threads)

V8 Beast

In looking at my dyno graph I've noticed my car is more quick than it is fast. So if you were me would you go for more top end, or just reduce weight and be quick?

Current cam 228/232 .588/.595 110+1. Range is from 3000rpm-6600rpm

-Makes 350rwtq at 3000rpms

-Peaks at 420rwtq around 4800rpms

-HP Climbs through 5900rpms then flattens off through 6400rpms

More info to help you help me... 3600 stall, 3:73 gears, 205 66cc heads, automatic car, 4100lbs current race weight.

Dont know what I was smoking when I posted this. Weight is 3500

Current cam 228/232 .588/.595 110+1. Range is from 3000rpm-6600rpm

-Makes 350rwtq at 3000rpms

-Peaks at 420rwtq around 4800rpms

-HP Climbs through 5900rpms then flattens off through 6400rpms

3600 stall automatic car.

you have no idea what your car really makes HP or TQ wise. only if you put the engine on the dyno will you know. TCI told a buddy of mine that chassis dyno will tell you nothing in a high stall auto car.

on the engine dyno he put down over 650 horse with spray but in the chassis dyno only 415hp. yet he still ran 10.90's in a 4000lbs car, with the drive train he has 650 flywheel is what it would take to put him in the high 10's.

i myself think that 3600 is too high of stall, but what do i know, i have a hand shaker:lol:

put a LS7 in it;)

LOL! Yeah the numbers were just to give an idea. On the track I ran an 11.1 @120mph if that sheds any more light on it.

I'm making my winter wish list and I'm pretty sure that I will not be doing an engine swap.. unless I am given an offer I cant refuse ;)

Edit: Oops, I put 3600 stall and automatic. When's the last time you saw an M6 with a torque converter :o

Guys keep in mind that this car uses a lock-up converter, and i beleive Dyno Brian does his pulls with the converter locked. From what I have found with these LS1s he should be right in the ball park for a good converter.

Brian if you want to go faster, going to an LSx with a 4" bore or bigger will really allow you to open up the heads and go with a bigger cam. The stock 3.9" bore just really limits what you can do once you've got good heads and cam on it.

Guys keep in mind that this car uses a lock-up converter, and i beleive Dyno Brian does his pulls with the converter locked. From what I have found with these LS1s he should be right in the ball park for a good converter.

Brian if you want to go faster, going to an LSx with a 4" bore or bigger will really allow you to open up the heads and go with a bigger cam. The stock 3.9" bore just really limits what you can do once you've got good heads and cam on it.

coughLS7cough4.125borecough4.0strokecough :)

you have no idea what your car really makes HP or TQ wise. only if you put the engine on the dyno will you know. TCI told a buddy of mine that chassis dyno will tell you nothing in a high stall auto car.

on the engine dyno he put down over 650 horse with spray but in the chassis dyno only 415hp. yet he still ran 10.90's in a 4000lbs car, with the drive train he has 650 flywheel is what it would take to put him in the high 10's.

i myself think that 3600 is too high of stall, but what do i know, i have a hand shaker:lol:

put a LS7 in it;)

I have always ran Brian's Car with the TCC Locked. No Stall while on the dyno.

put a LS7 in it;)

Sounds like that dude needs a new transmission contact and a new converter.

Something doesn't add up with that combo. My old car went bottom 11s/high 10s making 440whp with a non lock. The car weighed 3200lbs without me in it.

Either that guy was running a lock and didn't lock it on the dyno or his car had issues on the dyno. Possibly a horrible converter with far too much slip. What did the graph look like?

So how much for that LS7 if you already have your own cam and heads?

Is that the one that was destroyed by a certain hotlapping C6z?

it was jasons engine. i may be wrong on this but these heads may out flow the ones you have, they are massive

okay dick. Maybe I should buy some shocks and springs, might not stand much chance against your Z06. Although a big course could be interesting.

Dare I take an interest in auto x and set my sights on you?

you would have so much fun at it, autocross>drag racing. ask paul and chad.

Sounds like that dude needs a new transmission contact and a new converter.

Something doesn't add up with that combo. My old car went bottom 11s/high 10s making 440whp with a non lock. The car weighed 3200lbs without me in it.

Either that guy was running a lock and didn't lock it on the dyno or his car had issues on the dyno. Possibly a horrible converter with far too much slip. What did the graph look like?

its a non lock up converter 502bbc with a 400 behind it in a 79' TA. IIRC he has a 3400 or 3600 stall and 3.73's

its a non lock up converter 502bbc with a 400 behind it in a 79' TA. IIRC he has a 3400 or 3600 stall and 3.73's

Any idea how much it drops between shifts? If it's too loose it will be like 200-400. Does the car sound like it never changes gears?

A GOOD converter should see ~5% slip or less.

Really sounds like his converter is too loose. Might pick up quite a bit if it is...

Also, to stay on topic, the whole quick/fast thing is retarded to me. The words are synonyms - they mean the same damn thing.

I don't see why you'd want to make more horsepower and less torque (I think that's what you're trying to say in the post anyway?).