Is there a cheap form of road racing?

Guest GMoney

I was wondering if there is cheap form of road/rally racing that i can get into? I have heard of races where at the end of the race you can buy anyones car after the race for $1000 or something like that. I want to run it on a track with other cars but would still like to have the ability to autox it. I also would like something semi-local like OH, IN, PA, NY type thing. Anyone know of anything like this. Miata racing comes to my mind?

Thanks

I was wondering if there is cheap form of road/rally racing that i can get into? I have heard of races where at the end of the race you can buy anyones car after the race for $1000 or something like that. I want to run it on a track with other cars but would still like to have the ability to autox it. I also would like something semi-local like OH, IN, PA, NY type thing. Anyone know of anything like this. Miata racing comes to my mind?

Thanks

Define "cheap".

While I have not heard of any "claimer" type classes in road racing for a long time, there may be a club out there somewhere that is doing it. Most of the ones I've heard of are grassroots drag racing or circle track.

The most bang for the buck and the closest thinkg to "cheap" in wheel to wheel road racing is kart racing. Check out http://www.msokc.org/ and follow the links for a lot of good "how to get started" info.

Next up would be autocrossing and rallycross. The upside is that you can generally use your street car so incremental investment is almost nil. The downside is that seat time is limited to a handful of runs a day and it is not wheel to wheel. It does teach you how to drive and set up your car.

For autocross, check out

http://www.ovr-scca.org/_autocross/autocrosshome.asp

For rallycross check out

http://www.ovr-scca.org/_rallycross/rallycrosshome.asp

Next step up is a step up in speed. Various clubs do what they call "track days" or "HPDE's" (high performance driving experience) where you drive on a track but there is either no passing or limited passing. NASA has been the pioneer on this although SCCA is starting to do it, and some tracks do it on their own (specifically Nelsons Ledges).

Next up would be entry level road racing via SCCA or NASA.

For NASA, go to

http://www.nasaproracing.com/

For SCCA, go to

http://www.ovr-scca.org/index.asp or http://www.scca.org and follow the "How To Get Started" stuff.

When I did national level road racing in the mid '90's, my budget was about $1,100 / weekend to run top third of the field. This included travel, vehicle, repairs, expendables, etc. in order to run a competitive effort. I suspect it is closer to double that now because cars and tires are twice as expensive.

When I did regional level road racing from 2000 to 2003, my budget was $500 / weekend to run in the top 1/3 of the field. I suspect it is slightly more expensive today, maybe $650.

When I did kart racing at Circleville in 1998 to 2000, it was less than $100 / weekend. Probably around $150 today.

Buy a kart. End of story.

x2. A buddy of mine came to see me in autocross several years ago but decided to opt out. He then came across Kart Racing for his special needs child who has since come alive and is thriving due to his involvement. Now both him and his some compete and have cars of their own....along with a trailers, parts, etc..... :)

I think the track is south on 23 outside 270 somewhere. Evidently the Ricarts are big into it too.

x2. A buddy of mine came to see me in autocross several years ago but decided to opt out. He then came across Kart Racing for his special needs child who has since come alive and is thriving due to his involvement. Now both him and his some compete and have cars of their own....along with a trailers, parts, etc..... :)

I think the track is south on 23 outside 270 somewhere. Evidently the Ricarts are big into it too.

Circleville Raceway Park is off 23.

http://www.circlevilleraceway.com/

Thanks guys I know about kart racing and know the owner of circleville raceway pretty well. One of my friends runs the supermoto stuff out there. I have bent more than a few axels out on that track. I have been on mid-ohio in a shifter kart and can says that is pretty boring. I like rubbing and bumping that my friends and have done on the karts at circleville and thought it would be great to do in cheap cars. I have had my evo out on the circleville track more than once and had a blast every time even in the wet.

I just think it would be a blast to buy a $500 dollar car, lighten it up, make it safe, and go do some rubbing with some freinds on a track. All for under like $2000 and was wondering if there was anything like this in the USA. I think that this is popular in europe and just wonder if it was here also.

Thanks guys I know about kart racing and know the owner of circleville raceway pretty well. One of my friends runs the supermoto stuff out there. I have bent more than a few axels out on that track. I have been on mid-ohio in a shifter kart and can says that is pretty boring. I like rubbing and bumping that my friends and have done on the karts at circleville and thought it would be great to do in cheap cars. I have had my evo out on the circleville track more than once and had a blast every time even in the wet.

I just think it would be a blast to buy a $500 dollar car, lighten it up, make it safe, and go do some rubbing with some freinds on a track. All for under like $2000 and was wondering if there was anything like this in the USA. I think that this is popular in europe and just wonder if it was here also.

I've never seen anything like that in sanctioned road racing events. The "Crazy Compacts" class at Columbus Motor Speedway sounds similar in concept to what you are asking about, but it is circle track, not road racing. It is, however, real racing.

From what I know, the closest thing to what you are looking for is SCCA's Improved Touring category racing. You can buy an older race ready car for around what you are looking at, although it most likely won't be competitive. But, you will have a bunch of fun.

However, SCCA frowns on "rubbing" and you won't even get through Driver's School if you display it. Once you get your racing license, you will get thrown out for repeated infractions. Personally, I don't believe it belongs in road racing at any level, but hey, I'm a guy who did all my own body work and liked to keep my car looking good.

If you get to be known as one who uses the chrome horn, your competitors will take you out if the officials don't take care of you first.

I've never seen anything like that in sanctioned road racing events. The "Crazy Compacts" class at Columbus Motor Speedway sounds similar in concept to what you are asking about, but it is circle track, not road racing. It is, however, real racing.

From what I know, the closest thing to what you are looking for is SCCA's Improved Touring category racing. You can buy an older race ready car for around what you are looking at, although it most likely won't be competitive. But, you will have a bunch of fun.

However, SCCA frowns on "rubbing" and you won't even get through Driver's School if you display it. Once you get your racing license, you will get thrown out for repeated infractions. Personally, I don't believe it belongs in road racing at any level, but hey, I'm a guy who did all my own body work and liked to keep my car looking good.

If you get to be known as one who uses the chrome horn, your competitors will take you out if the officials don't take care of you first.

I know most forms of racing frowns on any type of contact, but i really don't have any fun until you can "push" the person in front of you to make a error. Like at circleville, its a blast with the friends a few bent axels or hubs later. We'll looks like i will have to pick up a kart this winter and start calling out people on CR to a kart race.

Anyone know if i can take a kart to a autox?

I know most forms of racing frowns on any type of contact, but i really don't have any fun until you can "push" the person in front of you to make a error. Like at circleville, its a blast with the friends a few bent axels or hubs later. We'll looks like i will have to pick up a kart this winter and start calling out people on CR to a kart race.

Anyone know if i can take a kart to a autox?

Sure can take a kart to an autox. They have classes for 125 shifters as well as 100cc regular drive karts. Not sure what the specific rules are, but I would imagine locally they would let you run anything that was close.

The local SCCA Solo Chair is Andy Bell and he runs a 125 Shifter. His email and phone is on the OVR SCCA site.

Also, Craig on this site runs a shifter and can advise.

As far as pushing somebody to make an error, that's different than nudging or punting someone. All is fair there.

I was in a race over at IRP and there was a group of six of us going at it hard for 4 or 5 laps, swapping places all the time. Big fun. I screwed up a downshift under hard braking, got axle hop, and just touched the leader in front of me as he entered a right hand turn. Spun him out, and slowed me down while I did everything I could not to hit his passenger side.

That was just a very light nudge, and an honest mistake, but I felt like crap as I consider myself a pretty clean racer. After the race, I went over to offer him a beer and apologize, and looked at his car, and it didn't even leave a paint mark.

Eight years later, I happen into the same guy, his Dad, and brother down at the 24 hour race at Daytona, and he still busts my chops about it. All in good fun at least.

If you're willing to spend $1,000, look at the Mid-Ohio school's Lapping program

http://www.midohioschool.com/

Its $950 or so for a day using their car so you can rev it as high as you like, push as hard as you want and not worry about tires or brakes. No direct competition but lapping is allowed and you will be on people's tails in the corners. From personal experience I can tell you seeing a Camaro SS half a mile ahead of you at the end of the back stretch and having the front of the TSX on his bumper by the carousel/beginning of the front stretch is a great feeling, and you get to do it all over again as he pulls away from you on the straightaway.

Competetive Karting isn't as cheap as taking your DD autocrossing. I raced Karts when I was younger and would do it again in a heartbeat if I could afford it, but I won't go if I can't be competetive. Believe me it costs a lot more if you want to win, buying a used kart and going for fun only lasts for a little while before you either want to go faster or get bored with it.

Thanks again guys. I am not looking to punt people, but rubbing is racing and it happens if your going fast enough and push hard enough. Hell i just watched the Stig trash a CCX on a track by himself. Trashcar, F1, indy, they all get into each other at one point or another. I just don't wanna get into some one or have some one get into me and have us be pissed.

Sure can take a kart to an autox. They have classes for 125 shifters as well as 100cc regular drive karts. Not sure what the specific rules are, but I would imagine locally they would let you run anything that was close.

The local SCCA Solo Chair is Andy Bell and he runs a 125 Shifter. His email and phone is on the OVR SCCA site.

Also, Craig on this site runs a shifter and can advise.

"Cheap" is a relative term in all types of racing, period. What is "cheap" to one person is big bucks to another. That said, after doing a little road racing on a shoestring, Improved Touring is your best bet if you have to do cars. The cars are cheap, but you still need a trailer, tow vehichle, spares and usually a crew person. $200 entry fee minimum and a drivers school or two. Then their's tires....

As to the karts, after trying a lot of "rides" over the years - I'm having more fun now with the shifter for less money than I ever spent. As mentioned elsewhere - "competitive karting" can be very pricey as well. A lot depends on you personal goals. Older shifters are very competitive in SCCA solo events. You can race locally and be competitive as well (it appears) although not many are running 125 shifters as Circleville. At $15 to go down and "practice" as long as you like, it's cheap fun - and it doesn't take much to transport a kart. A set of the sticky tires is $200 - less than I paid for one tire on the car!

Keep in mind there will always be someone willing to spend a fortuen on the best equipment so they can win a $5 trophy, but at least with the karts in Solo, cubic dollars doesn't seem to make a big difference. Seat time and set up seem to be the key - and at $15 a day for practive time and cheap comsumables, the kart deal has worked out best for me.