Mach 1

Wonderboy

So I just VERY recently became interested in the 03-04 Mach 1's. I've been searching up info online about them for the past couple hours and Im still left with alot of questions. First one is, how cheap can I pick one up? I've seen prices from $15-$20k but those were all out of state and with very low miles. Second question is, would an intake, exhaust, and tune be enough to hit 12's or would I probably need some nitrous also? I saw some sites saying that stock ones have gone as quick as 13.2 but most were in the mid 13 area. Third question is which is better, H pipe or X pipe and why? And the final question is, is this something worth while to pursue or should I look into something else? Thanks for any info/ insults that are to come.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe 90GT Dan has gone high 12's with exhaust and drag radials.

X-pipe from what I know equalizes flow between both banks, and tends to flow a little better. For the average driver, exhaust, intake, gears, and a tune with sticky tires should run into the 12's. 3.73+ gears will work miracles on any mod motor car. Especially a 4V mod motor.

I believe 90GT Dan has gone high 12's with exhaust and drag radials.

X-pipe from what I know equalizes flow between both banks, and tends to flow a little better. For the average driver, exhaust, intake, gears, and a tune with sticky tires should run into the 12's. 3.73+ gears will work miracles on any mod motor car. Especially a 4V mod motor.

4.56's n/a ftw

Now this car will be regularly driven so what gear is going to be a good balance of functionality and performance. I dont want to be pegged a redline when Im cruising down the freeway. Well, I guess I should get the car first before I worry about that. Im also having trouble finding them in OH. I did an autotrader search and came up with nothing. Do you think I can find one for around $12k?

The older cobras have the n/a 5.4 dohc motor correct? How do those compare to the mach?

Nope, 4.6 DOHC N/A. They're slower than the Mach 1's, but with the right gears, bolt ons, they're still pretty quick. You might be able to find a clean Mach 1 for $15K range, but most I've ever seen go for more than that and have pretty low miles. I remember wearing out a yellow mach 1 in my Z28 a while ago :cool:

True, an f body would be the more affordable route i suppose. At this point in time Im not even all too picky, I LOVE my sentra but, I really need to go fast. I dunno what to do really, I have been planning on a new car purchase for a while and Im having a crazy hard time deciding. The only reason I started thinking about a mach is because there was one in the shop the other day and it really caught my attention for some wierd reason, and Im far from being a ford guy (or domestics at all really). But, I have come to realize that if I want to go fast for cheap then Im just gonna have to suck it up and buy some good ol' american muscle.

Not to turn this into a apples to oranges mustang vs Corvette thing but....

I dont get the fatuation with mustangs... i really dont. The new be all to end all GT500KR is infact just as quick as the 385hp 2001 Z06... Congrats to all those men at Ford for only being 7 years behind in performance of the compitition.

Put it this way... the 03 Cobra ran the same times as the 95 ZR1 did... so it took them 5 years to make up 1 year of the performance spread... by my calculations, Ford and GM should have a pretty balls to the wall battle in about 2043.

Not to turn this into a apples to oranges mustang vs Corvette thing but....

I dont get the fatuation with mustangs... i really dont. The new be all to end all GT500KR is infact just as quick as the 385hp 2001 Z06... Congrats to all those men at Ford for only being 7 years behind in performance of the compitition.

Put it this way... the 03 Cobra ran the same times as the 95 ZR1 did... so it took them 5 years to make up 1 year of the performance spread... by my calculations, Ford and GM should have a pretty balls to the wall battle in about 2043.

you drive a volvo....