Time Warner Cable - sound delay?

zeitgeist57

I keep movies on in the background while I'm on the computer, and I've noticed when I look up that there is a delay in the sound to what the picture is showing.

Explained differently, I hear dialogue before the characters' lips move. It's not long, maybe a few tenths of a second, but it's annoying and leaves me curious whether anyone else noticed this or knows why it happens.

I keep movies on in the background while I'm on the computer, and I've noticed when I look up that there is a delay in the sound to what the picture is showing.

Explained differently, I hear dialogue before the characters' lips move. It's not long, maybe a few tenths of a second, but it's annoying and leaves me curious whether anyone else noticed this or knows why it happens.

Yeah, mine does that occasionally. (It seems to happen after I've shut off my TV [but left my cable box thing "on"] and then, after a while, turned the TV back on.) It goes away as soon as I change the channel; for instance, as soon as I notice it, I will flip the channel up or back one, then go back to the original channel, and the delay is gone.

I have no idea what causes the delay.

Never had that problem. I use Time Warner.

A little tip just in case:

Be sure if you use the same line for your internet and tv, etc, your cable line should be going into your router first BEFORE any splits. Your HDTV/HD cable box is next, then the rest. The most important is your internet/router first. If you have too many splits, etc, you can also degrade your signal. Old cable lines can cause problems, incorrect cable lines that aren't capable of moving all the info your internet and cable sends/receives, bad or wrong type splitters (soo many cheap ones out there, it's best to get one from a cable guy, you can usually get them to just give them to you), and loose connectors all contribute to bad signals.

Thanks, peeps. I have no explanation for it, but I'm glad I'm not alone with this.

I almost never turn off the cable box. In our bedroom, my wife and I have a TiVo box and it doesn't have the delay...ergo...I think it's our OnDemand box. Stupid thing.

Thanks, peeps. I have no explanation for it, but I'm glad I'm not alone with this.

I almost never turn off the cable box. In our bedroom, my wife and I have a TiVo box and it doesn't have the delay...ergo...I think it's our OnDemand box. Stupid thing.

That prabably has a lot to do with it, my digital on-demand box stays on all the time.

Think of your cable box like Windows. It's actually good for you to occasionally reset it. Most have a soft reset, as well. I generally just unplug my box (hard reset) for about 30seconds and then just plug it back in whenever I start to get little weird anamolies, ie; freezing, slow working, etc.

It goes away as soon as I change the channel; for instance, as soon as I notice it, I will flip the channel up or back one, then go back to the original channel, and the delay is gone.

I started doing that, and it does indeed work. Thanks for the suggestion! http://smiliesftw.com/x/tomashthumb.gif