New standalone for my rotary

Twistedrx7

Looks like i came across a good deal on using a different standalone. It is a Tec3r from Electromotive. This way i can get a new wiring harness since mine is pretty brittle from such a large amount of heat over the years. Also, I do not need any more resistors for High imp/Low imp injectors. It comes with a better ignition system 150mj and two step. It also comes with a new trigger wheel, sensors, and a few other things as well. Also, the previous owner has already taken care of making it plug and play.

Downside, i have to take off my working omp and block it off. So i will have to premix, yet the upside is it will help with carbon build up.

Now, i just have to sell my PFC with commander and Datalogit, coils, harness, and omp. Hopefully that means i wont have to pay too much for this new ECU.

Also on this list for this winter hopefully is Aquamist, Springs, and get this new kit painted.

Let me know what you think.

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Electromotive-155.asp

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me ask you this. Who has experience tuning with it? It wmay be great but unless you have someone with some experience with it, you are stuck with a novice tuning your car. Asnd as we all know, one oops and you have an apex seal careening through your turbo like a bull in a china shop.

Just food for thought!

tec3 has had some problems, but the tec3r hasnt had any along with the tec gt.

Mike,

I can understand your thinking on that, but when it comes down to things i can travel to get it tuned. It is either that or get a new wiring harness with ignition system for about 2 grand or get a whole new ecu with the harness and same ignition specs for less.

But you are right i just need to find someone that has a lot of experience tuning these and really knows their shit.

Jake, I got your PM about the pricing for the tec GT, I was going to recomend the Tec3R. However I see you are talking about the Tec3R now. I will get pricing for you for both. I don't know if you know this, but Logan has tuned at least 3 of them. One on his 3 rotor, one of Peters car, and another on a cutomers. I know Logan said by far it is his favorite ECU to tune. Just keep that in mind vs. taking your car out of state to have it tuned. Taking your car out of the cars primary enviorment isn't a great idea, sea level will affect the tune amongst other things.

Jackson

Jake, I got your PM about the pricing for the tec GT, I was going to recomend the Tec3R. However I see you are talking about the Tec3R now. I will get pricing for you for both. I don't know if you know this, but Logan has tuned at least 3 of them. One on his 3 rotor, one of Peters car, and another on a cutomers. I know Logan said by far it is his favorite ECU to tune. Just keep that in mind vs. taking your car out of state to have it tuned. Taking your car out of the cars primary enviorment isn't a great idea, sea level will affect the tune amongst other things.

Jackson

Ya i was talking about the Tec Gt, but than i was talking to someone else who would be able to get me everything for 2k that includes everything coils, sensors, plug and play, trigger wheel, harness and so on. That was for the Tec3r.

Joe, seriously. Most of us LSX people can say the same thing about the "old and outdated" LT1.

Honestly, how many times are people told to dump their LT1 car and buy LSX when they mention doing an engine swap?

I mean, the body kit may be one thing, but quit dogging every person that mentions anything not a V8 or turbo V6.

Tec3 on a street car is a waste of money. Keep the Power FC.

Car is going to be more autox and drag than street.

Also if i want to go 20b later i dont have to change the ECU.

What makes you say that this is a waste of money for a street car anyway?

Everyone that says dont do it, why dont you list some reasons as to why using this standalone is not a good choice. When i say list reasons i mean educated reasons.

Everyone that says dont do it, why dont you list some reasons as to why using this standalone is not a good choice. When i say list reasons i mean educated reasons.

Jason owns the RX7 store...im sure all his reasons will be educated...

and yes i know you know that he owns it.

you could always look at a AEM EMS,

93-95) Mazda FD RX7 M/T only (Clearance) $2,310.78 $1,299.00

horsepower freaks has them on sale for $1,299

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/AEM/Engine_Management/Engine_Management_Stand_Alone/EMS/1275

only reason why im saying that is that more people can tune them and have a greater knowledge of them. im running one in my car and its really one of the best things ive done to my car imo.

Yeah i havent seen very many AEM EMS units on an RX7 however i could say the same thing about the electromotive. However it does not come with a new harness and coils. And it doesnt look like it has as many options as the Tec3r does. I looked into the AEM a long time ago when i first got the rx7, but was deterred

You need to get on the MicroTech gravy train.

no, he really doesn't. microtech REALLY sucks, I've dealt with it myself and seen plenty of other people deal with it. When something needs be sent to fucking australia and back 4 times for a problem that they know can't be fixed, the product sucks.

For the rotary newbs and ignorants, The PFC is a "joke". I know because I have tuned mine. Don't get me wrong, the PFC is one of the best units out there for mild bolt-on cars. But beyond 400 whp, I just don't trust it. As far as the AEM unit, now that is the real joke for the fd. As far as that unit goes, for supras it is the shit, for the FD, it won't start the engine. I am serious, I know the AEM very well, I couldn't get my friends FD to start with the AEM, nor could the tuner that went to the AEM school. However, I plugger in my PFC and I could get it to start and drivable on a vacuum tune in under an hour.

Jake, Trust me, You will not go wrong with the Electromotive unit. From first hand knowledge of seeing the box, it is the shit.

Jackson

the Elecromotive is a very nice unit, but as mentioned doesn't have all that much support in the turbocharged rotary world. Most of the people that run it have done so on N/A 3 rotors.

If you have a tuner with experience with the system and you're confident that they'll do the job correctly then I would go with it.

You'll also want to take a nice hard look at what you want to do with the car as well. The PFC is pretty dated by today's standards, but you can also find many more people with the experience to tune it which keeps it pretty close to plug and play. I think that the PFC can do just about anything that a car running stock twins would want/need. If you're looking to go single and big power (didn't sound that way when you said auto-x, but you also mentioned a small bridge so I'm not sure) then I'd look at a new system, but if you're staying twins and in their power range then I'd stick PFC.

For the rotary newbs and ignorants, The PFC is a "joke". I know because I have tuned mine.

Jackson

This has to be the funniest quote of all time.

99% of RX-7 owners use the Power FC. I just tuned one on a car that made 620 RWHP. The Power FC is no joke, but implying that you tuned one is.