New standalone for my rotary

Twistedrx7

no, he really doesn't. microtech REALLY sucks, I've dealt with it myself and seen plenty of other people deal with it. When something needs be sent to fucking australia and back 4 times for a problem that they know can't be fixed, the product sucks.

What kind of problem were you having?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the rotary newbs and ignorants, The PFC is a "joke". I know because I have tuned mine. Don't get me wrong, the PFC is one of the best units out there for mild bolt-on cars. But beyond 400 whp, I just don't trust it. As far as the AEM unit, now that is the real joke for the fd. As far as that unit goes, for supras it is the shit, for the FD, it won't start the engine. I am serious, I know the AEM very well, I couldn't get my friends FD to start with the AEM, nor could the tuner that went to the AEM school. However, I plugger in my PFC and I could get it to start and drivable on a vacuum tune in under an hour.

Jake, Trust me, You will not go wrong with the Electromotive unit. From first hand knowledge of seeing the box, it is the shit.

Jackson

That"s funny my car made 620rwhp at 22lbs on a pfc, and there are plenty other cars we have tuned making 500plus. I guess you have to really know how to tune to get those number. Jake you already have the right computer for all of the mods you want to do to your car, I can get you a new wire harness for around $600-$700 dollars. You don't need a ignition amp until you go over 15lbs of boost. If you have any question, give me a call or stop by.

What kind of problem were you having?

the internal ignitors overheat and fuck up and dont work. Microtech knows about it, and they cant fix it. The internal map sensor also never worked right. it would randomly display anywhere from -30psi to 30psi with the engine just attempting to idle. The person I bought it from had issues with an RPM glitch, sent it in to get fixed, sold it to me, it was still fucked, so I sent it in, never worked, traded it back to my friend who sent it in again and it still never worked. At the time he worked for a shop with very close ties to microtech and they told him that their internal ignitors just dont work right when they get to hot, which was all the time.

If you are thinking of going 3 rotor down the road then nothing wrong with doing the Tech3 or Microtech. If you are just staying 2 rotor then dont waste the money on the others. The Power FC is half the price and plug and play.

its half the price and less than half the features. It all depends what you're trying to do. Making big power is definitely possible with a PFC, but personally I'd trust a fill standalone more in the long run.

Its not even that much more expensive when you consider how much you can make selling off your stock ecu, wiring harness, and stock sensors. If you're doing a proper 400-500hp build anyway, the extra $500 dollars for a full standalone (E8 is way cheaper than electromotive and still very good) isn't going to break the bank.

its half the price and less than half the features. It all depends what you're trying to do. Making big power is definitely possible with a PFC, but personally I'd trust a fill standalone more in the long run.

Its not even that much more expensive when you consider how much you can make selling off your stock ecu, wiring harness, and stock sensors. If you're doing a proper 400-500hp build anyway, the extra $500 dollars for a full standalone (E8 is way cheaper than electromotive and still very good) isn't going to break the bank.

No one buy's a stock computer, i've thrown out about 50-100 of them. Also you need to figure in labor cost to wire up the stand alone wire harness and that's not cheap.

well to add fuel to the fire, this unit is plug and play i am looking at. It already has the plugs and sensors to go with it. It would just need pluged together. It kind of takes the headache out of dealing with what goes where.

It is a used unit with less than 5k on it. It is a hell of a deal as well. The electromotive units usually go for anywhere around 2k for the tec gt up to 3k for the tec3r. Now the Tec3r i am looking at getting is only 2k. That comes with the trigger wheel, harness,coils, sensors, and already plug and play. The only thing that might stumble me for 20 minutes is plugging in the LC1 to the unit.

Zavier - i can get a brand new harness for 700 or so from ray at malloy. Yet when i was pricing ignition systems it came to about 1000 easily with the msd blaster hvc coils and the Jacobs street fire amp. That way i could set up a 2 step/antilag. however since the electromotive has the ignition system already that puts out the same 150mj that the msd does it is hard to resist.

It comes down to do i want to spend the money for a new harness and ignition and keep the PFC. Or step up the ECU for more function and control and include that harness and coils and trigger wheel.

I am not harping on the PFC it is a great unit and has a lot of control over the car. It also has a lot of support with people using it to rely on. It eliminates having to run more gauges to see what is going on since they display on the screen. The downside is that it is very outdated. engine control has come a long way over the years, it is just time to step up the game for them.

My goal for the car is a single turbo probably a gt35r or to4z later. The engine is a small bridge port. So i am looking at upper 400 if not 500hp.

No one buy's a stock computer, i've thrown out about 50-100 of them. Also you need to figure in labor cost to wire up the stand alone wire harness and that's not cheap.

This is correct i have 2 sitting at my house right now waiting for someone to buy them, along with many other stock parts.

that's probably true for a stock FD ecu, for the S5 TII ecu I had I got $150 bucks. Also, I'm assuming you would be able to install it yourself, otherwise yes the standalone is harder (and therefore more expensive) to install.

For the rotary newbs and ignorants, The PFC is a "joke". I know because I have tuned mine. Don't get me wrong, the PFC is one of the best units out there for mild bolt-on cars. But beyond 400 whp, I just don't trust it. As far as the AEM unit, now that is the real joke for the fd.

Jackson

what the hell are you talking about? I know dozens of cars making well over 400rwhp on the PFC , including my own

in this entire thread i would trust what Jason and Zavier are talking about. i bought a power FC after having troubles with a haltech and it works wonders its a great unit and will stand up to big numbers. its also very easy to tune and understand, and my car will make over 450 with a power fc in the spring.

in this entire thread i would trust what Jason and Zavier are talking about. i bought a power FC after having troubles with a haltech and it works wonders its a great unit and will stand up to big numbers. its also very easy to tune and understand, and my car will make over 450 with a power fc in the spring.

Well i remember you pming me on rx7club a long time ago asking me about josh's old rx7 at denny dotson. until you get some more time under your belt and experience i cannot really take what you are saying to the bank.

I'm getting ready to pull a tec 3 out of a local car here to replace with a pfc, maybe you might want to buy this one. Also you might want to try and find out why the guy is selling the tech 3.

A tec3 or tec3r? the tec3 is an older model that had a few problems. The guy i am buying from is selling to go to a wolf standalone, his tuner has a lot more experience with that system. His setup is a stock port engine with a gt35r.

what the hell are you talking about? I know dozens of cars making well over 400rwhp on the PFC , including my own

I didn't say it wasn't possible, I just say I don't trust it. Of all the people making 400 or more whp on a PFC, how many motors are they on? That is the point, with a better ecu that is properly tuned you will get more longjevity out of a higher end ecu vs. a PFC.

Jackson

I didn't say it wasn't possible, I just say I don't trust it. Of all the people making 400 or more whp on a PFC, how many motors are they on? That is the point, with a better ecu that is properly tuned you will get more longjevity out of a higher end ecu vs. a PFC.

Jackson

only if you use cheap stock mazda seals.

tech 3, but for what you are doing the pfc is good for your set up. Used that money for the turbo kit and hks twinpower.

I am not a fan of the hks twin power all it does is restrike the spark.

I would much rather have the tec3r if it came between those two.

I am not choosing between shops here. I am looking at which is the better ecu. I know you guys like the PFC and that is fine, and logan and them like the electromotive. If the electromotive is going to applicable to my setup and allow me to expand more in the future great. The PFC kinda limits that and doesnt expand with your car. you usually have to add stuff onto it get achieve what the tec3r has.