Anyone in here intersted in...

87GT

Search Google for the x-clamp mod. I did it on mine... you also need some new thermal paste from newegg for the cpu and gpu.

Give me a bit and i can find a write up for you.... I did mine and my cousin did his and it fixed it the 3 ring of death. However mine didn't have the 3 rings of death .. it would continually lock up on forza 2 ... ended up being a bad dvd drive. but i did do the mod myself and it still worked afterwards :D

Here is an existing writeup here but i was going to make my own. Oh well. Oh and I have the parts list from home depot so you don't have to buy their kit. Also you don't need the xbox "opening tool". A precision screwdriver works fine.

http://llamma.com/xbox360/repair/ring_of_light_x-clamp_fix.htm

Here are the official home depot part numbers:

Qty - 8 Machine Screw Pan - Phillips 5 x 10mm (DR# - 313) UPC - 030699 801282

Qty - 16 Flat Washer Nylon #10 (DR# - 610) UPC - 030699 869381

Qty - 16 Flat Washer Steel / ZINC Plated 5mm (DR# - 606) UPC - 030699 363087

Do NOT use the 'hex' head screws as an alternative, they are too large and cause your motherboard to bend when you screw it all back together.

Note: The 'DR#' is the 'drawer number' and may not be the same at every home depot. I've visited 3 now with the same drawer numbers, but the upc and description is the best way to find it. If you still can't find it go find an older male worker. They can usually find the screws almost immediately

Here is an existing writeup here but i was going to make my own. Oh well. Oh and I have the parts list from home depot so you don't have to buy their kit. Also you don't need the xbox "opening tool". A precision screwdriver works fine.

Do NOT use the 'hex' head screws as an alternative, they are too large and cause your motherboard to bend when you screw it all back together.

Note: The 'DR#' is the 'drawer number' and may not be the same at every home depot. I've visited 3 now with the same drawer numbers, but the upc and description is the best way to find it. If you still can't find it go find an older male worker. They can usually find the screws almost immediately

Good luck man... i did mine in about 5 hours.. but then again it was saturday and i was drinking some brew :D

Hope it works out for you. I will sell you my extra one cheap if you need parts or another xbox 360.

Thats the one i followed and no problems!

Good luck man... i did mine in about 5 hours.. but then again it was saturday and i was drinking some brew :D

Hope it works out for you. I will sell you my extra one cheap if you need parts or another xbox 360.

I did my fix a long time ago. It probably took me 3 hours and 1 hour was just removing the thermal paste. It wasn't that hard just many steps. If you can fix an engine in a car you can fix an xbox.

Kids are getting one for christmas. Whats the issue with these?

There shouldn't be an issue with the newer systems. Are you buying a new or used 360? The new ones they redesigned the heatsinks on the chips. You shouldn't have an issue like on mine which is one of the first few boxes they made. But by all means send it into Xbox if you have a warranty and have them fix it for free. Only problem there is you won't have a system for a month. That is too long of a wait for me. I rather fix it myself.

I have one that has the red ring and the warrenty info is missing so I don't think I can send it in. I'd like to see a write up if you put one together. Thanks.

ps- If you don't do one no worries, I'll reseach when I get bored. That home depot part list would be useful though.

Xbox red ring of death writeup

1. Cuss alot. This really does help. Maybe, throw some things around a bit. Nothing to heavy or important. You've already got one thing broken, right?

2. Blame someone else. This can be a girlfriend or better yet, a roomate. Were you abused by your parents? Blame them.

3. After making up with whoever you chose above, step outside with that person for a little bonding time. Bring your xbox with you.

4. Start by seeing how far each one of you can throw it. Then try to beat it. Use your imagination. The world is your gameboard.

5. Buy PS3. Bonus points if at least half the money used to purchase the PS3 was acquired during step 4.

6. Enjoy a "red ring of death" free gaming experience. :D