Garage Heating - Gas or Electric?

KillJoy

I am in the planning stages of finishing our Unfinished, Deteatched Garage.

Currently, there is only 120V Service in the Garage, and NO gas line.

I am wanting to put in a Garage Heater, and have NO CLUE which would be "better". Both will need some work to install (possibly 220 Service or Gas Line). It will not be used on a regular basis, so energy comsumption is not a MAJOR concern.

Our Garage is about 20'x20'x8'.

If you were in this situation, which would you choose and why?

:confused:

KillJoy

How often are you going to be in the garage? Do you want it temp controlled all year round? If you're only wanting to heat it 4 or 5 times a winter, a small kerosene or propane heater is plenty to knock the edge off.

If you'll be in there much more ofter, I vote gas, if you already have gas service at your house.

I have a 23,000 BTU kerosene convection heater. ($100 @ tractor supply). What I like about it, is that it heats the garage PLENTY and doe not require plugging into the outlet like the torpedo heaters. The reason being that if my power goes out I can use this heater for a little while. Even though its kerosene, it is safe to use indoors, just as a safety measure I have a carbon monoxide alarm too.

I have a unit similar to this. Ventless design. Ours has the optional fan with it. Our garage is 2.5 cars and an extra 5' deep and is attached. Master bedroom is above it, so keeping it at 60 degrees most of the winter really helps both the garage and inside our home.

A nice programmable thermostat kicks the place up to 70 in the mornings for when the wife is loading up the kids in the van. If I go out there to work, I can bring the whole place up to a nice 70-72 within 15 minutes or so.

http://www.heater-store.com/images_products/vent_free_natural_gas_heater_b733.jpg

I have a unit similar to this. Ventless design. Ours has the optional fan with it. Our garage is 2.5 cars and an extra 5' deep and is attached. Master bedroom is above it, so keeping it at 60 degrees most of the winter really helps both the garage and inside our home.

A nice programmable thermostat kicks the place up to 70 in the mornings for when the wife is loading up the kids in the van. If I go out there to work, I can bring the whole place up to a nice 70-72 within 15 minutes or so.

http://www.heater-store.com/images_products/vent_free_natural_gas_heater_b733.jpg

I have this in a large basement, and it roasts people on high.

I used a propane infared heater in my old detached garage

I don't even go in the garage at my apartment its barley big enough for the car :(

if your going to fiinish the walls I would put some kind of plywood over the insulation instead of drywall its more durable and gives you tons of mounting options for shelves and cabinets later and you can still paint it

I used a propane infared heater in my old detached garage

I don't even go in the garage at my apartment its barley big enough for the car :(

if your going to fiinish the walls I would put some kind of plywood over the insulation instead of drywall its more durable and gives you tons of mounting options for shelves and cabinets later and you can still paint it

Did you guys move? I thought you had a house over here.