Time Warner HD channel listing?

street pilot

I don't even think you can get HD without the box. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

There are Clear QAM channels, but usually not more than what is required to be rebroadcast by the FCC (locals)

If its over the air, its through some big ass antenna on Time Warner's end.

The way I understand is analog OTA broadcasts are ending in Feb, not digital.

I can definitely get HD without an antenna and without a converter box. Anyone with a ATSC tuner should be able to as well!

I've got a tap into a basic cable feed at my shop hooked up to a small HD TV with a built in QAM tuner. We get about 10-14 HD channels. ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, VS, WOSU (3 of them), Weather Plus and maybe a few more. Also movie channel previews.:rolleyes:

Can't remember the exact channel for each feed though. That info is written on a piece of tape by the TV but I'm not there.

We just do the auto-tune thing on the TV and go with that. We'll do that a couple times a month to see if anything new pops up.

And the over the air feeds aren't going away. Just the analog portion is going away. Digital over the air will still exist. You just need a TV with the appropriate built in tuner to make use of said signal.

I've got a tap into a basic cable feed at my shop hooked up to a small HD TV with a built in QAM tuner. We get about 10-14 HD channels. ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, VS, WOSU (3 of them), Weather Plus and maybe a few more. Also movie channel previews.:rolleyes:

Can't remember the exact channel for each feed though. That info is written on a piece of tape by the TV but I'm not there.

We just do the auto-tune thing on the TV and go with that. We'll do that a couple times a month to see if anything new pops up.

And the over the air feeds aren't going away. Just the analog portion is going away. Digital over the air will still exist. You just need a TV with the appropriate built in tuner to make use of said signal.

Thanks, this is basically what my setup is. Problem with auto-tune on my TV is it finds a couple hundred channels, half of which are just black. So I have to sort through those to find the "live" ones.

If its time warner and you think about it and could get me the channel for CBS HD I would greatly appreciate it.

It's going away in like 22 days anyways. Over the air that is.

Hunh...

Cable companies, as far as I understand, are required to send digital (HD??) channels over their lines using QAM which is a form of modulation (hence the M). It's basically 1 way to 'compress' and 'decompress' the signal. Some TV's have QAM tuners built into them. Some cable companies (IIRC Timer Warner, but not WOW) send the channels you can normally get OTA without any encryption. So you can get 'basic cable', hook it up to your tv with a QAM tuner and get your basic/analog/SD channels PLUS those HD channels.

SD/analog terestial/OTA brodcast=NTSC

HD/digital terestial/OTA brodcast=ATCS

HD/digital via cable=QAM

Unencrypted QAM is commonly refereed to as Clear QAM

I though this at one point too, but I'm not sure anything is required because AFAIK WOW doesn't offer any clear QAM channels.

Maybe you should call and inform them of the law lol

QAM-based HD programming of local stations is sometimes available to analog cable subscribers, without paying the additional fees for a digital cable box. The availability of QAM HD programming is rarely described or publicized in cable company product literature. If cable providers provide rebroadcasts of locally aired programming, they must also carry rebroadcasts of high-definition digital locally aired programming, in an unencrypted form, that does not require the customer to use leased equipment, per FCC Sec. 76.630 and CFR Title 47, §76.901

Maybe you should call and inform them of the law lol

Lol, maybe... maybe Joe can chime in. I don't care that much. I do have WOW, but have an HD box so it doesn't really matter that much.

Maybe if I were at home I could test it, but I'm not.

Hmm, looked a little more and I guess they do have to provide those channels. I had just read that WOW didn't at some point in the past... I think.