Carrying a Firearm (General Question)

Drewhop

I have never taken a CCW course. What I am wondering is if I were to go hiking/canoe trip/other misc outdoor activity where a handgun might provide a added level of security what are the laws governing what I can carry and where.

For instance going fishing at local public land.

Or taking a nature hike.

On state campground.

I am just wondering cause I honestly dont know the laws on these type of things.

Generally only time I have a firearm is A. I am going to range to shoot. or B. Going to go hunting. or C. to a friends house to shoot.

Guest tbutera2112
a permit to conceal is still required to openly carry a handgun in a vehicle.

KillJoy

that is listed under carrying in a vehicle, it doesnt mean that you can only open carry in a vehicle and not anywhere else....the very first thing says ohio is an OC state, so im assuming that means as long as you have a conceal carry permit, you can open carry in public places as well...but i dont know that for sure, thats what i was asking

that is listed under carrying in a vehicle, it doesnt mean that you can only open carry in a vehicle and not anywhere else....the very first thing says ohio is an OC state, so im assuming that means as long as you have a conceal carry permit, you can open carry in public places as well...but i dont know that for sure, thats what i was asking

You can OC in Ohio without a CCW. The only thing I'm unsure of is park carry. I know National Park CCW was passed, but I heard something about LOLbama reversing that. I'm not quite sure what that's all about. Also, national parks are not state or city parks, so that's another thing I'm unsure of.

Guest tbutera2112
You can OC in Ohio without a CCW. The only thing I'm unsure of is park carry. I know National Park CCW was passed, but I heard something about LOLbama reversing that. I'm not quite sure what that's all about. Also, national parks are not state or city parks, so that's another thing I'm unsure of.

why does that link say that you need a permit? maybe i read it wrong...ill go check again after i type this...that seems odd that people can just strap a gun to their side and walk around in public with no permit or anything at all...bet this wont last long now that obama is in office lol

**edit - yep i did read it wrong

Ok so from what I am reading that if I am OPENLY carrying a weapon meaning, that it is in complete view for anyone to see. Basically a side holster. Then I am aloud to carry a weapon in the above places I stated.

I guess I am looking for comfirmation that I am aloud to take a side arm with me to protect my family in the wild if need be. I spend a huge amount of time outdoors during the summer and if my family were to be attacked by a wild animal (think rabies) it would be nice to know I could deal with the situation.

Guest tbutera2112
Ok so from what I am reading that if I am OPENLY carrying a weapon meaning, that it is in complete view for anyone to see. Basically a side holster. Then I am aloud to carry a weapon in the above places I stated.

I guess I am looking for comfirmation that I am aloud to take a side arm with me to protect my family in the wild if need be. I spend a huge amount of time outdoors during the summer and if my family were to be attacked by a wild animal (think rabies) it would be nice to know I could deal with the situation.

ill sell you a double barrel shotgun for $175 incase a big ass bears attacks you

Again, I'm not so sure about OCing in a park. You'd have to do some more research on that to be certain.

So did a little research and this was a quote that I found.....

"The Ohio Revised Code, as most legal codes, proscribes behaviors - it does not generally enumerate things that are permitted. Anything not so proscribed is legal by default. The Ohio state constitution does say, in pertinent part:

The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security; but standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and shall not be kept up; and the military shall be in strict subordination to the civil power.

So, in the absense of anything restricting it, carry on."

as well as this http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/gp9.68

I tend to open carry in the summer on the bike. It's IWB, but my tee shirt rides waaaay up with the wind. Totally visible. Never an issue. Passed by cops too

Obviously, you've never ridden through Westerville like that.

Here is the most informative post in the thread...

Click this link, scroll down to page 11 and read from there on.

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevention/pubs/200808_ccw_book.pdf

This is the most up to date version. If its not listed here then you can carry. BTW you can carry in parks.

• 3 weeks later...

theres registration in ohio? holy shit. i hope i dont get in trouble with all the guns ive bought from vances and there was no registration.

but really, are you asking us if its legal for you to carry a stolen gun? if so, lock slide back, load round, release slide, look at business end of barrel, pull trigger.

no i understand not to carry a stolen gun let alone prob wouldnt be good idea to own one, i just wondered if there was anything that required all ccl holders to reg a gun to carry or what not, i havent been thro all the ccl laws or classes so i was just curious

my question stems from a few guys at work bickering over it and i just thought id ask outside the box to more knowledgable ppl

one claimed you had to carry a reg'd gun and another said didnt matter, just was curious who was right

no i understand not to carry a stolen gun let alone prob wouldnt be good idea to own one, i just wondered if there was anything that required all ccl holders to reg a gun to carry or what not, i havent been thro all the ccl laws or classes so i was just curious

my question stems from a few guys at work bickering over it and i just thought id ask outside the box to more knowledgable ppl

one claimed you had to carry a reg'd gun and another said didnt matter, just was curious who was right

No such thing as a registered gun