Avoid Cycle Search! Warning Females!

ScrappyGrl

Few things I am taking from this.

1) PLEASE DO NOT FLAME ME - How is this a chauvinistic thing? You are implying by the thread that they were disrespecting you because you were a girl. Where in any of the story was that shown? Could it be they are just idiots and act like idiots all the time? I just feel a little compelled to say they might not deserve you implying it was because you were a girl...

Now, onto CS...

1) Mitch is an idiot. He needs either fired or put into the wash bay to clean bikes. He has called to apologized, the owner is on a public forum apologizing for Mitch's actions and in doing so, confirms that Mitch was wrong and went overboard. This is something that needs to be addressed and taken care of. There are PLENTY of good salesman and women out there that can act professionally and avoid the pitfalls that many inexperienced sales people fall into.

2) The OTD comment is so freakin' out of hand that I laughed and wondered how a shop can even make it sound like it is a joke. In today's market, there are a LOT of hidden fees. There are GREAT deals being advertised only to come and find out that the total price out the door was almost twice the amount advertised. Sure, Doc fees and license fees and tax are to be included, but it doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to understand that those fees shouldn't be the same amount as the unit price. OTD questions are legit and should be responded to in a manner that makes sense. The ONLY additional amounts that can be added to an actual OTD price is based on insurance, warranty, etc. You can give them an OTD price and it should include unit cost, set-up and shipping (BS fees), Doc and related fees, and tax. That's pretty basic and easy to get to a customer asking a price. You can then inform them that fees can be in addition to the OTD if they choose the warranty, insurance, etc.

You making light of this and allowing your employees to not understand it is not something that should be tolerated by yourself and especially the customers.

3) Customers are to be treated with respect. Getting to know your customers is rule number one for ANY salesman. If they grow to learn and befriend a customer, the sales person can maybe relax a bit and be less robotic, but they need to be professional at all times. No excuses. The fact that you apologized and Mitch did, as well means that it is seen as a mistake. Take care of it. There's WAY too many people on here that have negative things to say about you guys from now customer service to too high of prices for the bikes you have. The discount you use on here should by no means be to the point stuff is free, but if you use it to simply persuade customers to come in and they can get a better deal if they don't mention the OR deal, then what good is it to allow you to advertise on here? What good is it to waste your money in doing it?

The list you provide is entirely up to you. However, don't make it sound like a special when people who aren't members can get a better deal...

4) I'd avoid coming onto a public site and apologizing. In doing so, you are admitting guilt and admitting wrong doing occurred. That looks bad to potential customers. I think the chauvinistic comments are unfair, but I think the way you treated the customer was wrong. Now, with you coming on and essentially saying you did do these things and that the employees were doing what she stated and yet you seemingly think it was taken out of context is not good for business. Do it all side bar and off line. It's better for you and the business as a whole.

The bottom line is that people will always complain even if they aren't in the right. Happens everyday. You only hear complaints about shops and never the good. Look at the posts. More negatives for shops than applauds for shops... That being said, you can handle the issues that need addressed in a manner needed off line. No emails, no PMs, but with a phone call or a face to face if they come back. It's business 101 stuff...

Good luck and I think the OP has merit to being upset. I think you guys have made some errors and hopefully, they are taken care of. I know the employees at MOC were regarded as not so great and to hire a guy from there doesn't bode well. Especially when he is the center of a now public issue...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend, who is a guy, treated similar when he went to look for a bike.

But honestly, it happens all over, and its not gender specific.

Ive had bad experiences with guys treating me like im a 'dumb girl' and i knew damn well what they were telling me was a load of shit because id already done my research ... and others where they were really nice and helped.

One of the places here, Ride Now .... bad reputation for upselling, BADLY. and jerking people arround.

But anytime i went in there when i first got my bike, they were alway willing to help and were super nice about it.

I agree that sometimes women are treated differently, nothing you can do about that. I work at IBM ... it is a good ole boys club.

Believe me when i say its all in how you handle the situation.

What ive learned, dont play the game. Go in smart and know what the facts are.

Knowledge is power ... for me it quickly put those types in thier place,

and they typically know they cant harass you any further.

In most cases you get respect from that person from that point on.

At least in my experience thats how things have always turned out.

I think this is the same in any 'dealership' situation ... for guys or girls.

If you know what you want, and you've done your research .... they typically cant sell you ocean front property in AZ :)

They either give you what you want, for what you know you can get it for .... or you just go someplace else.

There are A-holes no matter where you go.

Im sorry for your shitty experience though :(

earlier someone said, dont give them your business, and tell your friends, word of mouth goes a long way ...... + 1

and good luck finding your gixxie !

Yep, poking fun at people you just met and trying to sell a big ticket item to, is a great idea.

As a potential customer, very blunt advice.

I don't care if your salesman isn't from Ohio

I don't care if he or she is having a bad day

I don't care about your cost or overhead

I don't care about your infrastructure or buildings

You only matter because you have something I may wish to purchase

I do care if I am insulted in any way,

I do care if I feel that I am getting ripped off

I care if about how I am getting treated

I care about price and service

I care about your location

Cold and one way, sure. It is my money and there are a lot of people out there that want it and can meet and fulfill my expectations.

Like most on this forum, I do my homework before I go to the store. I know what I want and why. I don't need you to try to sell me anything. Do you have what I asked for???? Show it to me.

Few things I am taking from this.

1) PLEASE DO NOT FLAME ME - How is this a chauvinistic thing? You are implying by the thread that they were disrespecting you because you were a girl. Where in any of the story was that shown? Could it be they are just idiots and act like idiots all the time? I just feel a little compelled to say they might not deserve you implying it was because you were a girl...

Now, onto CS...

1) Mitch is an idiot. He needs either fired or put into the wash bay to clean bikes. He has called to apologized, the owner is on a public forum apologizing for Mitch's actions and in doing so, confirms that Mitch was wrong and went overboard. This is something that needs to be addressed and taken care of. There are PLENTY of good salesman and women out there that can act professionally and avoid the pitfalls that many inexperienced sales people fall into.

Did Mitch go wrong, yes. Is Mitch an idiot? No. We have about 450 individual motorcycle sales last year. A good bit of them he was involve in, and I have not heard a single peep of people feeling disrespected, or discriminated against. He is a good sales guy, but can't be blamed for not meeting 100% of everyone's expectations. No one is perfect. No sales person especially.

2) The OTD comment is so freakin' out of hand that I laughed and wondered how a shop can even make it sound like it is a joke. In today's market, there are a LOT of hidden fees. There are GREAT deals being advertised only to come and find out that the total price out the door was almost twice the amount advertised. Sure, Doc fees and license fees and tax are to be included, but it doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to understand that those fees shouldn't be the same amount as the unit price. OTD questions are legit and should be responded to in a manner that makes sense. The ONLY additional amounts that can be added to an actual OTD price is based on insurance, warranty, etc. You can give them an OTD price and it should include unit cost, set-up and shipping (BS fees), Doc and related fees, and tax. That's pretty basic and easy to get to a customer asking a price. You can then inform them that fees can be in addition to the OTD if they choose the warranty, insurance, etc.

You making light of this and allowing your employees to not understand it is not something that should be tolerated by yourself and especially the customers.

This is note. We do toleratte. it. Something we do daily. I also explained why we try not to talk out the door when negotiating. The customer (you or anyone else) has not been properly explained options of a service contract or any other back end product that may be available as well. If we give an out the door price and then you want a service contract, then it is going to change.

3) 4) I'd avoid coming onto a public site and apologizing. In doing so, you are admitting guilt and admitting wrong doing occurred. That looks bad to potential customers. I think the chauvinistic comments are unfair, but I think the way you treated the customer was wrong. Now, with you coming on and essentially saying you did do these things and that the employees were doing what she stated and yet you seemingly think it was taken out of context is not good for business. Do it all side bar and off line. It's better for you and the business as a whole.

This point I can't agree with more. The OP decided that she did not want to attempt to give Cycle Search a chance to work it out with her. She actually threatened with bringing it on the board. I actually believe if I would have gave her the deal she was looking for, I wouldn't be typing here today. Maybe it would have mattered, maybe it wouldn't have. Either way, I did appologize and Mitch has made attempts to call her as he will continue until she answers.

Here are the facts:

1. She came in and had a bad experience.

2. Mitch definately went overboard with the joking

3. Both Cycle Search as a buisness and Mitch appologize.

4. We cannot fix something when we are not given the oppurtunity to do so.

/thread

Did Mitch go wrong, yes. Is Mitch an idiot? No. We have about 450 individual motorcycle sales last year. A good bit of them he was involve in, and I have not heard a single peep of people feeling disrespected, or discriminated against. He is a good sales guy, but can't be blamed for not meeting 100% of everyone's expectations. No one is perfect. No sales person especially.

It only takes one screw up and it can hurt a business quickly. If he acted even remotely like was described, I would say he needs to be sat down and told the way you wish him to proceed...

This is note. We do toleratte. it. Something we do daily. I also explained why we try not to talk out the door when negotiating. The customer (you or anyone else) has not been properly explained options of a service contract or any other back end product that may be available as well. If we give an out the door price and then you want a service contract, then it is going to change.

Again, you NEED to talk OTD pricing. It is common. Trust me when I tell you I know how things work in a motorcycle shop and in sales. People want OTD price and SHOULD get a price. You adding service, warranty, insurance, etc can be all added later or described in detail while on the phone. People get deals and want an OTD price. It isn't stupid and it isn't something that should be taken as lightly as you seem to be doing.

Understand something - there are a LOT of dealers that give stuff away, a lot that play games, and a lot who do stupid stuff like buddy packs. The customers are smart and if they do ANY bit of research, they know what to ask for. If I called and asked OTD on a bike you have, I expect a price for what the unit, Doc fees, license fees, and tax are in total. IF i decide to get GAP, IF I decide to get a service warranty, IF i decide to get an extended warranty, etc., then that can be added later and isn't a concern at the start for most people...

2. Mitch definately went overboard with the joking

4. We cannot fix something when we are not given the oppurtunity to do so.

Mitch needs to be professional. 450 bikes isn't many bikes per year for a shop and if he had his hand in a good number of them, cool. However, he needs to be professional. Like I said, it only takes once. He wasn't. Nuff said.

You CAN fix it and DO have an opportunity to do so. Make your guys act like they should and do not expect less and be aggressive when they aren't acting the way they should. Sales people are the easiest people to handle and train. A great sales person is hard to find - one that can do it rather well. In general, a basic salesman is easy to get and bring up to speed. Therefore, guys like Mitch are pretty easy to come across and if he knows his job can be pulled from him for acting unprofessionally, maybe he'd take it a little more serious, no?

Again, good luck.

For the record, our complaint was purely about his behavior. The price wasn't the factor. We knew what OTD meant and refers to, hence our using that phrase. We did not threaten anything in a lame attempt to get the price we wanted. We simply felt like we endured some unprofessional behavior which came across as though they were mocking us. Believe me, we aren't a pair of feminists on our high horse trying to knock the common man down a peg. LOST said it well, it was Scrappy's money and they just didn't earn it. They probably won't earn mine either due to this experience. Yes, it may have been a one time thing, but it was your first impression with us. First impressions make or break. Lizard also made many good points about what salesman should and shouldn't be.

I also found it odd that this was brought up "she mention(ed) that the people at Hind's were the nicest she had ever met.." Once again, first impression. I knew people on here had trashed that place for service, but it was on the way back home, so why not just stop and check it out. Our first impression from the place was that we were treated very nicely and nobody joked about a phrase that we said. So yes, they were nice. Will she give them her business? It depends if they earn it, just like any other motorcycle shop. She's not looking to help you make money, she's looking for the deal she wants, just like LOST said.

No I don't work there. Not since 2007...and then back in 2001. I don't even know what to say really. If you honestly felt humiliated or that it is an sexist environment you have very thin skin.

I haven't read through ALL the drama on this thread but I will tell you that customer service is NUMBER ONE on my list. If I am treated badly by someone I will not ever buy anything from them. If I have already purchased something from a company and I am treated badly without it being rectified I will never buy from them again. Just ask MAG. The people that used to service my land rover were rude and inconsiderate. I shortly turned that in for something else at another dealership. I will never buy a car from MAG again. I LOVE the service department with the car I have now but then again they are known for their service. Well let's get back to bikes....I had money in pocket and was went looking for a bike to purchase on a nice Saturday morning. I initially went to hinds and they treated me very similar to the lady that went to cycle search minus the ghetto environment :p. Well let's see I went about 20 miles south and bought my suzuki that day!!! I don't let people treat me like crap! This woman has every right to think these people are rude and insensitive. It has nothing to do with the "thickness" of her skin but has everything to do with the integrity and character of the company that she is giving her money to!!! ;) I think in society today people think it's ok to be rude to customers. This is not the way to run a buisness.

I would think with todays economy that shops would be bending over backwards to get a sale.

It is nice to know that there are still some places that sale items that no one really needs that can still treat customers in such a way as to lose sales.

:confused: why are you trying to make me feel semi responsible for what the salesman said? In my first post I did appologize for what happened, I did not support or defend him in any way. The thin skin comment was general about society today. They get their feelings hurt and want a public appology. As for me fitting right in when I worked there...you're probably right. We all had a common interest and had fun at work and outside of work.

I have stayed quiet for too long. I can't believe that Cycle Search continues to try to defend themselves on this forum. A business with more sense doesn't continue to belittle a customer...nor continue to argue on a "public forum"...they try to make things right personally. They go out of their way to do anything to rectify the situation. If I were the owner of that company...I would have both of those men in my office first thing Monday morning. The posts have made that company continue to look bad! I am sure that people will think twice before buying a bike from them.

At this point, I don't even want an apology from that man. I think that both have them have belittled me in person and on this forum. The only apology I would ever accept would be from the owner of the company. Too bad I was told that I couldn't talk to the owner because ..."he doesn't talk to the customers." Cycle Search would have to do some serious a$$ kissing to EVER get my business back... or the business of any of my friends. I hope they have learned from this situation. They should take all of their customers serious, not make jokes about the things they say, and not laugh at their concerns.

Thank you fellow Ohio Riders for your support. Never feel bad for standing up for what you think is right.

Wow...lots said in that. Now that you have managed to speak you part, I will speak ours.

1. Mitch's last intention is to insult or humiliate you or any customer that walks through the door.

2. I spoke to you and your friend prior to you leaving, and at no time did I sense there was a problem. Nor did you mention there being a problem.

3. When you called in after leaving, I did apologize for his behavior, and went into explaining why he did not want to talk numbers in the "freezing ass alley". We stive to put things down on paper when talking numbers.

4. The banter about the "out the door" "regional slang" as you call it was nothing more than a joke, possibly overdone, but a joke non the less. Both Mitch and Jason(coworker) both felt that it was an understood joke.

5. The close out deals are just that. The satandard OR discount is 5% off retail price, which I explained to you. The $4000 + tax and fees is in fact less than what the retail price we had on that bike($4995) minus the OR discount($249.75). I also mentioned that the closeout prices are it, that bike in particular we would have made an amazing $221 on. Does anyone think we had more room to move on this? I didn't.

6. You would have recieved a phone call from Mitch appologizing to you for todays events given you would have answered the phone in the three times he called you.

To finish up here, when you called, I asked you how I could rectify the situation. You said "you just needed to think about it yourself and come up with something", and had nothing to add. I always aim for customer satisfaction. I am truely sorry that you had a bad experience, but after reading this, I doubt anything I would try to do for you would result in you changing your mind. So you will recieve your appology, and my offer of $4000 + tax and fees is still available to you. For the other potential female customers out there, you can also check with Ananda (SchmuckGirl) on here in relation to an experience with our shop. We sold her a GS500 before she upgraded to her GSXR. I would be willing to bet that her thoughts would greatly differ from what you have read here today. I look forward to seeing more girls make it by the shop!

Oh wow, I got tossed into the mix. It's true that I bought my first bike from Cycle Search, Mitch actually helped me with the 500. (The interesting thing is that he tried to talk me into looking into an SV650 and I had it in my mind that it was NOT what I wanted but sometimes I wonder if I had purchased that bike, maybe I wouldn't have upgraded to the 600.)

Anyway, my 500 wasn't idling right after I brought it home and Cycle Search went out of the way to send a truck to pick it up, clean the carbs, and bring it back to me so that I was not inconvenienced. Mitch then called me back to follow up and make sure everything was ok. I'm sorry to hear that he has had a run in with another person on this board but I don't think it's ok for pictures to be posted of him and threats to be thrown out there. (Scrappy girl says she has something up her sleeve in the first post).

I do appreciate the sponsorship from Cycle Search and while I agree that their prices are a bit high, I found that when I went into the transaction fully educated, we were able to reach a mutually satisfying deal.

After reading this post I will never buy a bike from Cycle Search........unless they have what I want for what I want to pay. If they crack a joke I will laugh and crack one back, if they try and belittle me I will try and belittle them, tit for tat, but in the end I will leave them my final offer and they can accept or decline. If I don't like them or I can't get a deal I won't go back. Remember the rule of business, the guy with the money makes the rules.

Edited by phugitive