Got the GLI chipped yesterday (review)

Rustlestiltskin

My car: 2004 vw jetta GLI 1.8t 6spd

Mods before the chip: (not including the non performance mods)

Magnaflow 2.5in. catback exhaust

ARP R1 diverter valve

AWE boost gauge with vent pod (lol not perf. mod but put it here anyways)

DieselGeek short shifter kit

I thought long and hard at which chip company to go with. I narrowed it down to either Unitronics or APR. What ended up being the deal breaker was that APR had a couple extra options and also that an APR dealer was 10 min. away. So I thought it was time and take advantage of the deal APR had going on with they're chip special so I drove to the nearest APR dealer (10 min. away:cool:) and got it done.

The advertised hp/tq increast vs stock is this:

stock: 180hp/170tq

APR 91 oct: 209hp/242tq

APR 93oct.:215hp/247tq

APR 100oct:???hp/ ???tq:cool:

So 35hp/77tq increase over stock

Took less then an hour before It was ready for me.

4 programs came with the fully loaded package:

stock

91octane

93octane

100 octane race map

(3 other non performance programs came with the car also)

*valet mode

*security mode

*throttle body alignment mode

All these are controlled via ur cruise control switch which is baller as hell since no other company gives you that option on top of having the ability to switch through programs at will.

First thoughts

Before I left I clicked through the programs and made sure the 93oct. program was set in.

Well the car already broke loose in first but now with this chip it smokes them off. I also gotta watch it in 2nd at times or else they'll go up in smoke too.

Acceleration change was night and day. doing a 40roll pull is a whole diferent beast and just the car pulling in general is completely diferent.

I was also told my gas mileage would go up a few(already getting 32+ on the highway before the chip so we'll see) Usually my stock boost levels would spike at 10psi and just stay around that.

Now its spiking around 15-17psi and holding 13-14psi to redline. The car is also soo much more responsive. I mean you'd think after getting 35hp/74tq increase that this was expected and it was. I love the car more now and I can't wait till I see some more performance increases after the 3in. dp w/ catless testpipe here in a week or 2. Its like a whole diferent car now and I wish it came this way from the factory.

In the end I could've went with other company's that have more aggressive chips (giac+x, unitronics stage 2) but I ended up going with APR for they're options that came with the chip along with the fact that if I ever need anything from them I can just drive 10min. to they're dealer.

lasting thoughts:

I'd recommend this chip to anybody wanting to up the power of they're car. You cant beat the power increase for $500. A chip should be the first mod on ur list everytime and APR got my vote.

Comming soon:

review on the 3in. downpipe w/ catless testpipe :)

Fantastic.. I wasn't kidding you when I said it was a night and day difference :)

Does the car have a boost gauge? With all my mods I'm spiking to 22-23psi and holding 16-17 to red line. I'm jealous you can switch between your programs on your stalk though. I just get.. one program

You'll notice more gains as you get more of your parts installed :D

Fantastic.. I wasn't kidding you when I said it was a night and day difference :)

Does the car have a boost gauge? With all my mods I'm spiking to 22-23psi and holding 16-17 to red line. I'm jealous you can switch between your programs on your stalk though. I just get.. one program

You'll notice more gains as you get more of your parts installed :D

Yea. I got a AWE boost gauge with driver side vent pod. It looks completely stock during the day and at night.

I cant wait til I put a lil 100octane in the car and run the 100oct.race program!!!

:thumbup:

Here's a pic of it in my car.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj288/Dubs740/driversideinterior.jpg

And thats not a stain on the driver seat lol. I had wet hands from washing it and the water left a few fingerprints.

Notice the euroheadlight switch too :)

I'm going to get some high res. shots of the car up soon once I get a nice cam. what camera do you use for ur pic taking?

Damn you. I told myself I would resist modifying my DD. I keep hearing about how well the 1.8T responds to the APR chip, and I'm definitely close to going for it. Where did you go to get the work done? Did the $500 include installation?

Careful, Mike. That's a slippery slope you're heading towards......

So where can I get this done, and did the $500 include installation? :D

Careful, Mike. That's a slippery slope you're heading towards......

So where can I get this done, and did the $500 include installation? :D

Don't worry, it's not first on the list. Tune Z32 -> GLI timing belt -> Z32 rust -> GLI chip

And ummm, ahem, why are you asking questions sir? Going to chip that gorgeous Audi are we? Oh and, today would make for a great photo shoot day......

Awesome.......

The stg 2 (flash and dp) should net you a few more hp and tq to top off your basic bolt ons.

You will never see that kind of hp/$ ration again, so might as well leave the engine alone after that lol.

Nice man, I like everything about your car. Love the color, but what in gods name were they thinking with that steering wheel...then again I can't talk. My car has the same steering wheel gm used in the 93 Camaros lol. Good gains though! How do these things work? Do they just install the chip and bam theres the power? Or does it need tuned?

Aye paul, you should trade me dash vents to match your vent pod.. I've been wanting the GLI vents :(

Mine are the non-shutter style just like your vent pod.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c8/eightsixgts/IMG_2480.jpg

Nice man, I like everything about your car. Love the color, but what in gods name were they thinking with that steering wheel...then again I can't talk. My car has the same steering wheel gm used in the 93 Camaros lol. Good gains though! How do these things work? Do they just install the chip and bam theres the power? Or does it need tuned?

Its a file on a computer. The computer gets plugged into the obd style port and downloaded like a computer file. And then you have a different car.

Takes about 30 minutes total.

And ummm, ahem, why are you asking questions sir? Going to chip that gorgeous Audi are we? Oh and, today would make for a great photo shoot day......

I wouldn't mind a little extra punch in the A4! My brother has been looking into mods for his 1.8 TT as well.

Today would be a great day! Im getting ready to head to the car show, though. Soon enough, hopefully. This camera gear has been staring at me all winter!

That is cool you chipped your car. Glad everything worked out for ya! I always wanted to chip my last civic light up the check engine light turn on as a "shift light". I don't know anything about that on VW's is that something you could do?

That is cool you chipped your car. Glad everything worked out for ya! I always wanted to chip my last civic light up the check engine light turn on as a "shift light". I don't know anything about that on VW's is that something you could do?

Never heard of that.. but interesting idea

Aye paul, you should trade me dash vents to match your vent pod.. I've been wanting the GLI vents :(

Mine are the non-shutter style just like your vent pod.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c8/eightsixgts/IMG_2480.jpg

LOL, keep looking on vwvortex for GLI partouts. I see them all the time

I just can't wait to see the diference when I fill my tank up with 100octane and run the 100oct. race map. :D

Not as much as you are going to see once you put the TP in and go back for the reflash perhaps.

Did you already have them do the TP program in advance ?