Buying a Purebred German Shepherd Dog

hpfiend

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone could offer any recommendations to breeder, hints, suggestions to buying an AKC sheperd dog. We have always had mutt shepherds before but would like to try a purebred this time. We would like a female as we figure it would be a little smaller and less agressive.

Thanks,

Andrew

I'm not familiar with any breeders, I would really suggest looking for a German Shepherd rescue. You can find pups and adults through rescues and they need you more than breeder's dogs.

i hate peta, you know how they say dont kill animals, it was on yahoo the other day, they killed over 2000 pets and only adopted 4 out last year, tell me how screwed up that is, i wish i could help on the shepard thing, my mom used to bread pugs:rolleyes: she probably used to know someone and i def dont know of any shepard shelters

We got our GSD from a rescue out of Grove City called Shepherd Haven, German Shepherd Rescue. http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/OH520.html

Do you ever plan on breeding the dog? If you do then the Rescue won't be for you. If the dog isn't already 'fixed', they make you get the dog 'fixed' per the contract.

Thanks for the help guys!

We checked out the shepherd haven but they didn't have anything my mom liked (female puppy)

We ended up getting a 14 week old AKC German German Shepherd female puppy from a breeder we found through petfinder in Columbus. Just had the 72 hour check-up yesterday and she is A-ok. gauranteed hips and elbows and full breeding rights if we ever go that route. She seems very smart already. Any recommendations for puppy training classes?

Thanks,

Andrew

Thanks for the help guys!

We checked out the shepherd haven but they didn't have anything my mom liked (female puppy)

We ended up getting a 14 week old AKC German German Shepherd female puppy from a breeder we found through petfinder in Columbus. Just had the 72 hour check-up yesterday and she is A-ok. gauranteed hips and elbows and full breeding rights if we ever go that route. She seems very smart already. Any recommendations for puppy training classes?

Thanks,

Andrew

If you dont have the change for classes, it helps to get a behavioral book. It's alot like dealing with small children, don't let anything get to you, keep your cool, repeat often.

Show the dog who the alpha is...

Repetition is key.

We use a rubber ball or a piece of rope as a treat instead of dog bones when were trying to teach him something new. He still gets all the milk bones he can eat.

Repetition is key.

The only time I had to use force with him was when we had to give him ear medicine and he bit me. 3 years have went by and we've NEVER had that problem again. He takes his medicine with only minor wiggling around now.

Repetition is key.

BTW... I am looking for a GSD puppy myself... Could you send me the info on where you picked up yours?

thanks

one more time......................Repetition is key!

Be prepared to spend thousands on hip replacement surgery at some point in the dogs life. German Shepards are known for having hips go out.

Way to read..:rolleyes:

He bought from a breeder with Hip Guarantees. Most respectable breeders offer this service.

pet smart = fail... everyone stay away

We had a great teacher and a good time at petsmart.. so i dont agree..

Do you have a story to share with us for that insight?

Our dogs walked away with much more comprehensive training than i had ever given them. We took them to beginner classes and Nathan and I were both taught MUCH better methods on training than i was brought up on.. (The dogs were 8 and 10 when we took them)

We had a great teacher and a good time at petsmart.. so i dont agree..

Do you have a story to share with us for that insight?

Our dogs walked away with much more comprehensive training than i had ever given them. We took them to beginner classes and Nathan and I were both taught MUCH better methods on training than i was brought up on.. (The dogs were 8 and 10 when we took them)

I stand corrected... PET LAND stay away...I LOVE PETSMART...my bad yo!!