getting started, a few questions.

pontiacfreak142

As soon as i get my tax refund im going to start building my motor. I have the 4.8/5.3 LR4 for those that dont know. Ive been doing research and found that i could bore it out to LS1 specs and put a 4.00 crank in it which equals a 383.

2 questions though before i do start. im pretty sure they are both yes, but a buddy told me he didnt think it either was possible with a stock block, so im making sure before i go off buying shit.

first one, is it possible to safely bore a 5.3 out to LS1 specs?

and second, will a 4.00 crank work in my motor?

A 4 inch crank will deffinetly fit in any LS engine, the bottom of all of them is identical. I have heard of a few people ruining blocks by trying to take them .100 over, however there are more and more places everytime I look around that are doing iron 5.7s. So my advice to you would be to take it to the machine shop and find out. Its not like you have a lot into the block.

If you aren't already on LS1tech, get on. Then your login will work on PerformanceTrucks.net and you will find lots of info on these smaller bore blocks. Just do some searches on both sites, and most of your questions should be addressed.

A 4 inch crank will deffinetly fit in any LS engine, the bottom of all of them is identical. I have heard of a few people ruining blocks by trying to take them .100 over, however there are more and more places everytime I look around that are doing iron 5.7s. So my advice to you would be to take it to the machine shop and find out. Its not like you have a lot into the block.

If you aren't already on LS1tech, get on. Then your login will work on PerformanceTrucks.net and you will find lots of info on these smaller bore blocks. Just do some searches on both sites, and most of your questions should be addressed.

thanks scoot, ill definately be checking out that truck site.

yea im going to take it to the shop as soon as i get my tax return. if it doesnt work out i already have an LS1 lined up to.

i can afford to do it with out my tax return, but i have a few other things to buy right now, so im just gonna use my return to have the block bored. what do you care anyway? its my money....

Don't mind him Gary, we are way more obsessed then 95% of this board. I'm sure you and I would give up a lot just to enjoy our cars. :cool:

LR4 if I recall is a V8 truck motor.

That would be correct, the same block gets used for both the 5.3 and 4.8 trucks with the only difference being in the crank stroke. It can be bored out to stock sized 3.898 bores, making it an iron 5.7 with the 3.622 stroke crank, or throw in a 4" stroker crank and it magically becomes an iron 382 kickin the shit out of alot more then you think.

Guest tbutera2112
same thing. Anyways, as I'm sure a plethora of forum nerds have asked before, why throw money at the sixer instead of swapping in an LSx?

read more.

Gary,

If you haven't found some stuff here are some suggestions:

pistons, yes it's what I went with but you'll need these specs

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LPE&Product_Code=LS1105898I06&Category_Code=

crankshaft, Flatlander carries the K1 line of Carrillo, everything I can find on this stuff it should be a quality piece,

http://www.flatlanderracing.com/

I bought my Scat h-beams from Phillips Racing while my engine was there and he had the best price on them $300 with the arp 2000 rod bolts.

You could spend more money, but if you are realistic with your goals these parts should be plenty strong. It comes down to you being honest with your plans, if you aren't going to boost it or run big spray I''m sure that this would live a long time. Going more extreme I think the pistons would likely not take the abuse because they are a weaker forging, but I'm not afraid of them and neither should you. Those little cylinders and pistons should be able to take all the abuse you can dish out N/A and handle some spray.

your both idiots, you shoulda given up that extra nos so you didnt blow in the first place dummy.. but i do have a set of stock ls1 heads if ya want them....have suporting mods for a cam....

Umm, free? I'll take them.