F-15 flying over downtown....

Putty

I used to live on base when my dad was stationed at Kincheloe AFB. We used to watch SR-71s and B-52s do touch and gos while picking wild blueberries next to the runway.

You have no idea of loud without hearing all 8 of a B-52 engines at full throttle, while watching the wings flapping from the weight of fuel and wind

i know its not an airshow but have any of you been to the air force museum in dayton/springfield? lots of cool planes there, they have an SR-71, F-22, F-117 etc on display

i try and make it once a year it is the only place in the world where you can get close to a b-2.

i remember hearing when the thunderbirds were down in south america they were doing the centerpoint maneuver and one plane was told to speed up and it accidentally broke the sound barrier and shattered every window in the parking lot. :)

There has to be record of this somewhere.

I've heard sonic booms a couple times. Boom is a very apt word as it isn't a crack or a rumble. It's a single boom that surprisingly doesn't reverberate very much. I've only heard them from a distance though. I can't imagine what it would be like at air-show distance.

As for the worry about spies, that's kind of silly. Whether a plane is trans-sonic or not isn't much of a secret. The big secret is their top speed, but they don't need to hit top speed to break the sound barrier.

i try and make it once a year it is the only place in the world where you can get close to a b-2.

A B-2 Shell...... still cool though.

BTW I still want to know what the SR-71 really does...

My dad works at WPAFB and helped with testing on the F-22 engines, in the late 80's!!!! Can you imagine what the have now, unreleased to the public.

A B-2 Shell...... still cool though.

BTW I still want to know what the SR-71 really does...

My dad works at WPAFB and helped with testing on the F-22 engines, in the late 80's!!!! Can you imagine what the have now, unreleased to the public.

wright patterson ftw

I was just down in Santee, South Carolina last month and there is an air base close to where we were at and there was all sorts of cool shit flying over. Couldn't tell you what kind of jets flew over but there was there of them, just at cruising speed they were loud. There were a few blackhawks that flew over and chinooks too.

Sonic boom.....me, too. We need to hit an airshow where they allow it. Wright Patt the fail on this.

When I was out a the National Training Center in Ft.Irwin California, we had Air Force TAC's aka tactical air controllers with us. We had F16s dropping 500 pounders in a simulated target structure. Heard them crack the barrier a few times. It was pretty cool to hear, but nothing compared it to the A10s that did a mock close air support straffing run. 2 A10s huggin the ground and letting their GAU-8 30mm's cut loose will stand the hair on your neck up. That shit made you feel like you were playing with titties for the first time. It was that amazing. :cool:

BTW, you wanna go to Nevada by Nellis during Red Flag to hear some sonic booms and crazy flying.

Technically turbofans are jet engines, just a different kind. I've heard everything up close except for the b52 and the sr71 (even though thats what I always wanted to fly), and honestly I gotta say the meanest sounding one to me is the F4. I've heard 22s, 15s, and 16s all day and yes they are bad ass as hell, but something about those two huge GE turbojets just sounded so freakin sweet.

Wish I could have seen the fly-over, I thought I heard a non-commercial today when I was on campus but didn't see anything.

And yes, the military can break the sound barrier over mainland, but they usually require a certain elevation and a certain distance from residential. But if they need to haul ass, they'll do what they gotta do

Cool. I used to live on Cape Cod, home of the Otis Air National Guard Base and PAVE PAWS. I got to see all sorts of planes flying over head. Watching a C130 doing low-speed maneuvering is like watching a magician float his assistant. Your eyes tell you there's no possible way it should stay in the air, and yet it doesn't fall.

Otis guys are here with us now and they said that their planes are gone and their flightline isnt even operational for them anymore.

And you think 130s are fun to watch. Imagine the same thing with C5s. Lol, even taking off you cant help but think "this thing seriously cant be going fast enough to take flight". They do it all day long at Lackland.

i'm jealous. i wanna see. And speaking of loud i want to hear a plane break the sound barrier before i die.

Some airshows still do them, and if you know where to go jets will still do them in training in remote areas. Our 16's will be in Mich this summer for two weeks and I am told the do them often up there once they get away from things.

Sonic boom.....me, too. We need to hit an airshow where they allow it. Wright Patt the fail on this.

Wright pat isnt supposed to allow it anymore do to the complaints from so many people being such a high populated area.

It's probably actually from the Air National Guard base in Springfield.

I watched 2 F-15's do touch and goes and play around in the sky there on the 4th of July about 6 years ago. It was a pretty awesome sight. Nothing like seeing an F-15 come in for a landing, go full throttle and pull straight vertical into the sky until you couldn't see him anymore.

Thats my base and I can assure you they are not ours. We don't have 15's. Only 16s. Our base is soley for training f16 pilots. Any 15's you see there are usually from WPAFB. The ones flying over downtown are prob from WP. Toledo has a couple "ready" planes but they prob wouldnt be using them for shows, and St. Lous planes are the same way. Those are all the closest f15 bases.

If you enjoyed watching them do touch and goes, you can go up there most days of the weeks and sit off route 68 and watch them do it for hours. Jets are cool as fuck but damn after seeing/hearing them day after day, you start to hate them. It seems like they only wanna fly when you are trying to take care of/talk about important things.

to my knowledge U.S. military planes aren't allowed to break the sound barrier over U.S. airspace/mainland anymore

They still do. It is just becoming a lost art due to heavy population and bitchy old people in big areas. I think it was in the Air Force times where they talked about it.

We went to that P-51 show they had at Rickenbacker 2 years ago. Great show. I like airplanes but I don't know them enough to point out many. They had an F-22 there and I was blown away when they would do low altitude approaches that by the time you saw or heard it you would've been dead.

I grew up near an airforce base down south and remember hearing booms as a kid. They would rattle the school windows.

Technically turbofans are jet engines, just a different kind. I've heard everything up close except for the b52 and the sr71 (even though thats what I always wanted to fly), and honestly I gotta say the meanest sounding one to me is the F4. I've heard 22s, 15s, and 16s all day and yes they are bad ass as hell, but something about those two huge GE turbojets just sounded so freakin sweet.

Wish I could have seen the fly-over, I thought I heard a non-commercial today when I was on campus but didn't see anything.

And yes, the military can break the sound barrier over mainland, but they usually require a certain elevation and a certain distance from residential. But if they need to haul ass, they'll do what they gotta do

the loudest plane I ever heard and still love is the F-14, back when I was a kid going to the air show that was the only plane I wanted see do its demo, that thing was loud as fuck, I loved every second

And you think 130s are fun to watch. Imagine the same thing with C5s. Lol, even taking off you cant help but think "this thing seriously cant be going fast enough to take flight". They do it all day long at Lackland.

Thats my base and I can assure you they are not ours. We don't have 15's. Only 16s. Our base is soley for training f16 pilots. Any 15's you see there are usually from WPAFB. The ones flying over downtown are prob from WP. Toledo has a couple "ready" planes but they prob wouldnt be using them for shows, and St. Lous planes are the same way. Those are all the closest f15 bases.

I've seen those C5s flying low and slow, not only do they sound like a couple of dying birds fucking but they do look like they're going to fall right on top of you. But they are the biggest plane we've got, so you can't complain too much when they actually work.

I was going to say I didn't think springfield had 15s, I flew over there once and only saw the falcons. But its ANG and I really don't know much about it