'Special Plates' fee increases coming

Zeppelin

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on this. There will soon be an increase in the cost of a driver license and normal vehicle registration. I think each is going up $5-$15(I am not sure of the exact amount on this one yet). Along with that are the following 'special plate' increases as well. An 'initial' plate, like say '1LE' is going from the current $10 additional annually to $25 additional annually. A 'reserved' plate, like say '1 FST BRD' is going from the current $35 additional annually to $50 additional annually. I'm not exactly sure when the fee increases will take effect, but it will most likely be around June/July when the new fiscal year begins, maybe sooner. I personally am dumping our initial plate when the increase takes effect. I didn't mind the $10, but am not paying $25 extra, on top of some kind of a standard vehicle registration increase.

At least it is only once a year for this kind of thing, but damn, paid off or not the more toys you have the more this kind of things adds up to make them non affordable. I wasnt even home this year for my birthday but someone went ahead and took care of getting all my registrations updated and it cost me a shit load.

All the things I had to get registered this year

-Dodge ram with specialty plates

-Dakota

-Saturn

-CBR

-4 trailers (1 boat and 3 waverunners)

-Ski registration for the water

and I am not even doing the Camaro this year. This shit adds up.

I'll be honest, that blows. Likely this is in response to the fact that they've been trying to get rid of front plates (and thus increasing profits by charging the same for only making one plate) but had it shot down each time.

Problem is that I have 3 cars registered in my name and I'm sure that my wife will love the fact that having a personal plate on the FD DOUBLES the cost of the registration for that car.

All the things I had to get registered this year

-4 trailers (1 boat and 3 waverunners)

Wing nuts and swap plates between trailers. Do you think cop looks anything beyond a trailer plate with a current sticker. They care more about the vehicle doing the towing (at least non-commercial stuff). Even if they pull it up, it's a trailer with your name registered to it, as trailers don't have VIN's and titles. :)

Wing nuts and swap plates between trailers. Do you think cop looks anything beyond a trailer plate with a current sticker. They care more about the vehicle doing the towing (at least non-commercial stuff). Even if they pull it up, it's a trailer with your name registered to it, as trailers don't have VIN's and titles. :)

i know someone that has 3 trailers and 1 registered tag that is on a magnetic mount.

Larry, fix it :)

Sorry man. Me and the Gov. arent that tight......... If we were, I would try to finagle my way out of having to take 10 days of unpaid 'cost savings' leave each year for the next 2 years.

I haven't heard anything about the logo plates going up, but thats not to say they wont eventually think of that. $10 from the logo plate fee associated with each plate is a BMV 'processing' fee. The rest goes to the organization.