You know for as much as people hate on civics.....

SpaceGhost

I don't believe the honda hype

Me neither. I actually get pretty irritated when I hear someone say "I'm going to buy a honda because they last forever." They are good cars, but definitely not better than the average car.

What are you comparing?

All cars. I really think that if any car is taken care of properly that it will be just as reliable as the next. Some cars require special care but it usually goes hand in hand with the original cost of the car. (ofcourse you get that car every now and again, from any manufacturer, that just doesnt want to co-operate)

Hondas are rust buckets though, its almost a guarantee that it will develop Honda cancer on one of the fenders. The older ones atleast, newer ones havent been around long enough.

My previous comment wasnt aimed at you Ben, I was just talking about the average idiot that makes that statement out of their ass, just because they heard someone say it once.

All cars. I really think that if any car is taken care of properly that it will be just as reliable as the next. Some cars require special care but it usually goes hand in hand with the original cost of the car. (ofcourse you get that car every now and again, from any manufacturer, that just doesnt want to co-operate)

Hondas are rust buckets though, its almost a guarantee that it will develop Honda cancer on one of the fenders. The older ones atleast, newer ones havent been around long enough.

My previous comment wasnt aimed at you Ben, I was just talking about the average idiot that makes that statement out of their ass, just because they heard someone say it once.

Again my thinking is not many cars have wear Items parts that cheap..... I could buy an old BMW for cheap and it may be reliable, but I don't think you are getting new front pads and rotors for under $60. Hell the new rotors are like 2 dollars more than what some cheap places charge to "turn" any rotor.

^^^And not only that, but have you seen the amount of room under the hood in these cars? It's retarded compared to a lot of cars. This makes things a lot easier for a backyard mechanic to be able to do themselves, and save the money from taking it to a shop.

I agree, for their intended purposes, I don't know of many cars that do it better.

I doing a complete tune up, including timing belt/waterpump for under $300 myself, and on some cars I wouldn't even be able to do that job, costing me hundreds more possibly.

Again my thinking is not many cars have wear Items parts that cheap..... I could buy an old BMW for cheap and it may be reliable, but I don't think you are getting new front pads and rotors for under $60. Hell the new rotors are like 2 dollars more than what some cheap places charge to "turn" any rotor.

Trudat

Damn straight....we're still driving, while you're on the side of the road in your broke down pos DSM. :D

QFT

My honda is the best DD I have ever had its safe,reliable,decent power. The only thing my honda doesnt have is a pussy magnet and im ok with that.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa311/wbftfrk/crankwalk.jpg

My step dad bought a 1986 civic 4 door in 1986. I learned how to drive manual in it. The car was sold a few years ago to make room for the new honda accord they bought. The original clutch was still going strong when he sold it. Every weekend he washed and dried and waxed it for hours. It never had honda cancer. No rust ever. I shit you not. Biggest repair he had to do on it was change brakes and rotors.

Damn straight....we're still driving, while you're on the side of the road in your broke down pos DSM. :D

agreed. but thats what the cavi is for. cause 6 days of the week my dsm is on jack stands.

crank walk ain't really that common of a thing either. it just happens to be a fluke in some dsm's.

No comprende senor....

I think he's talking about the rubber strips in the rear quarter panels wheel wells, they line the inside lip of the quarter panel, and overtime hold in moisture and that's how the rust starts on these cars. It takes two seconds to rip them out, it might help if the rust isn't too bad. I got lucky with my 10 year old car, when I took them out it was minty underneath, hope to keep it that way.

as much as i hate our '99 sentra 1.6 because its foreign, it has been very maintenance friendly. dealer replaced front brake pads once, i did a complete brake job with new rotors/drums/etc., replaced the muffler 2 years ago, and did plugs/wires/air filter. that and one set of tires, and a new battery, and the car has been hassle free for 115k miles. it will be for sale shortly for around $2500, but i live in tampa right now.