New/wider garage door goes in Today/Tomorrow

Buck531

I'm excited as hell. For the past 10 years my family has lived in this house I've never been able to put two cars in the garage (so it's just been mine and not my wife's :)).

I'm paying a company a decent chunk of change to come in, rip out the concrete block, frame in a 18x7 garage door. Right now there is a 10x7 barn door that only can fit in one car.

I could have went the standard 16' door, but since the one side to the other side of the man door that is there is exactly 18', I'd have to put new brick in there for two feet. Might as well get the 18' and have a little extra room.

I'll post some pics of the progress later.

The way they did that garage opening is retarded.

Yep. THe peeps that I bought the house off of bought it about a year old in 63 or 64. He build the garage himself as none of the houses here in my neighborhood had them new with the house. He did a LOT of fucked up things to the house that I'm slowly fixing.

Hell. for the wiring to the garage, he tapped right off the meter and ran a line to the garage and put a breaker box (pushmatic) in there. No line going to the house to turn off the power. :gtfo:

Updated pics.

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/buck531/garage/garage%20teardown/

The people who are doing it are called the Garage Guru's. I think they contracted it out to a company called "Just Garages".

I need to contact Sam for some concrete work in the garage too.

Hell. for the wiring to the garage, he tapped right off the meter and ran a line to the garage and put a breaker box (pushmatic) in there. No line going to the house to turn off the power. :gtfo:

you don't need a disconnect in the house if you have a panel in the garage

your going to need some kind of way to get that door open if your power goes out

sorry dad didn't back to you quick enough

They were going to put a key hole in the door to put a key in there to release the emergency hatch.

However, I'm going relocated the door to the side of the garage where the window is. My brother is working on getting a steel door from work and we'll just frame it up.

I'll get some pics tomorrow. Garage door is in, the wireless deal. Shit, the display pad deal inside has the freakin' temp of the garage on it and displays the time. :)

you don't need a disconnect in the house if you have a panel in the garage

your going to need some kind of way to get that door open if your power goes out

sorry dad didn't back to you quick enough

However you are not allowed to double tap a meter can, and you are also not allowed to go very far off the meter without a disconnect (sorry I can't quote the distance, I haven't been doing electric full-time in over 5 years). Buck is right about how sloppy a lot of the shit was done originally, most of the wiring is unprotected as well.

edit: It is looking good Buck, let me know if you still want my help.