Trailer/registration question

Venture Guy

Not sure... I didn't have to weigh mine. The paperwork came with a weight. Also, the BMV is only interested in the unloaded weight. I think my trailer unloaded came to 500lbs or so. When I told them it was going to be a race trailer and should be about 1000lbs at most when complete, the woman said that wasn't important and punched in the weight from the paperwork.

scrap yards can do it. i bought one when i was 17 to carry lawn care shit around, and the BMV sent me to joyce iron and metal. i cant remember if i paid $2 or $7 (lol. i know), but im 99% sure it was under $10. they have you pull up, go in, get a weight slip, take back to bmv and they'll give you tags. i think tags were like $35

Guest Removed
while we're on the subject (thread jack) are trailers required to be insured or is that my choice? do i need to tell my insurance company?

its your choice, but if something happens and it your falt, and the trailer was the cause(ie a wheel comes off it, or it unhooks and smash's other cars) they are not going to cover it. but if some one else smash's the trailer, then they will pay.. a buddie just went thru this last summer. a semi ran over his car dolly, and smashed his truck all up. i say cover it just in case. and limited use normally mean minimal cost's

while we're on the subject (thread jack) are trailers required to be insured or is that my choice? do i need to tell my insurance company?

Yes trailer insurance is CHEAP!!! For my 24 foot enclosed with full coverage on it through state farm I pay $72 a year

Just tell them 1000lbs and be done with it. They won't care of know the difference and nothing will ever come of it if its not right. The only time you should be worried is if maybe it was a commercial vehicle.

its your choice, but if something happens and it your falt, and the trailer was the cause(ie a wheel comes off it, or it unhooks and smash's other cars) they are not going to cover it. but if some one else smash's the trailer, then they will pay.. a buddie just went thru this last summer. a semi ran over his car dolly, and smashed his truck all up. i say cover it just in case. and limited use normally mean minimal cost's

good to know! I guess this is something else to add to my to do list....