new tv...audio help?

Guest tbutera2112

Guest tbutera2112
my new tv has digital audio outputs, and i want to run it through my old stereo receiver that uses the red and white plugs things....is this possible or do i need to upgrade to a new stereo receiver?

What do these "digital audio outputs" look like? Is it a single orange plug? Is it a mini-usb looking plug with a little door over the opening ( optical audio )? It has to have the standard red/white audio outputs, seriously. I've seen them when they're just black w/ R & L labels on them, though. Link to your tv model maybe?

Guest tbutera2112
Red and White are Analog. If your TV has Analog Audio out, (red and White output) Then no, hook it up there. If you want to use Digital out, you must get a Digital Receiver.

tv doesnt have analog audio out, just digital.... there isnt an adapter cord that plugs into the digital on the tv and the analog on my old receiver?

Guest tbutera2112
What do these "digital audio outputs" look like? Is it a single orange plug? Is it a mini-usb looking plug with a little door over the opening ( optical audio )? It has to have the standard red/white audio outputs, seriously. I've seen them when they're just black w/ R & L labels on them, though. Link to your tv model maybe?

heres a pic from the owners manual...its just a plug in... it does not have the standard outputs...i looked, all over it and the owners manual even says i have to use digital

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/SaleenSS90/tv.jpg

heres my tv

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9251481&st=lh30&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1218068505433

# 3 HDMI inputs

Provide an uncompressed all-digital audio/video link for the highest quality connection and they support copy-protected HD broadcast content.

# Inputs

Include 1 A/V (side), 3 HDMI (1 side, 2 rear), 1 RF (rear), 1 component video (rear), 1 HD component video (rear), 1 PC (rear) and 1 PC audio (rear).

# Outputs

Include 1 optical digital audio (rear).

Guest tbutera2112
Dear god how old is this receiver? I have a Pioneer from 99 and it has digital in.....

idk it was my dads...its probably 20 years old, but it still sounds great

it looks like this one

http://static.phing.com/listings/3/39326/760-lnepn0_l.jpg

Guest tbutera2112
Dear god how old is this receiver? I have a Pioneer from 99 and it has digital in.....

can you suggest a receiver i should get? i just dropped a good bit on the tv so i dont have very much to spend on a receiver....but i hate the volume from the tv after playing dvds out of a stereo system for so long with my old tv

can you suggest a receiver i should get? i just dropped a good bit on the tv so i dont have very much to spend on a receiver....but i hate the volume from the tv after playing dvds out of a stereo system for so long with my old tv

There are so many variables. I don't know where to start. But My fist suggestion is one with Digital in. :)

ok ill just go to best buy and look at them i suppose

I have a Yamaha and it sounds amazing.There are tons of recievers to look at just dont let the guy talk you into something you wont use. You could probably get away with an insignia reciever.

Guest tbutera2112
I have a Yamaha and it sounds amazing.There are tons of recievers to look at just dont let the guy talk you into something you wont use. You could probably get away with an insignia reciever.

im happy with how my Technics receiver sounds...its older than i am...so im pretty sure ill be happy with any new receiver...ill just have to go take a look at some of them...their website shows a few for $100, so hopefully i can find one

Guest tbutera2112
i bought a new receiver tonight and i tried hooking it all up and got nothing....so i uplugged everything from the receiver and only plugged in the speakers and the antenna...i cant even hear the radio on it...wtf??

Guest tbutera2112

fuck it...lock it up

went to meijer to get an hdmi cord, got home, realize i need a coaxial too, go to get it, and some piece of shit car falls apart in front of me and something flies into my door taking a chunk out....now ive got $1800 worth of shit sitting here that doesnt fucking work and a fucked up truck door...im taking all this shit back tomorrow and giving up

Guest tbutera2112
What car this time? My gawd you have bad luck with cars.

the fucking harley truck

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/SaleenSS90/CIMG1080.jpg

lol.

i dont know how much you want to spend, but i just picked up an onkyo HTS-5100 7.1 1200w receiver/speaker/sub system for $350. it sucks because its HDMI passthru for audio...wish i woulda dropped the extra for the 6100 and had audio thru the HDMI

Guest tbutera2112

i dont want to spend shit...tuner, tv, and all these fucking cords are all going back tomorrow afternoon

and lol at yourself, i hope your car gets fucked up by some piece of shit too

Guest tbutera2112
i wasn't lol'ing at your car man, chill out. i was laughing about how you're getting overly frustrated over hooking up a brand new tv to a receiver thats probably older than you.

i said twice that i just went out tonight and got a brand new receiver

i missed that post. you've probably got it hooked up wrong, or the receiver on the wrong channel. what kind of receiver did you get

edit - take a pic of the back of the tv and receiver and how you've got it all set up

Guest tbutera2112
the receiver doesnt even work with nothing but the antenna and speakers hooked up, i cant even play the damn radio out of it...im serious that im taking all of this shit back tomorrow

do what you want. you obviously wanted all the stuff to go out and drop a boat load on it. i just figured youd take a little time to try to get it together properly

hopefully they're not going to charge you a restocking fee for having the shit out of the box, and you basically just paid them to take the stuff home for a day