Blew motor last night...

Linc5.0

Yeah you were in it to win it! shit was great. At first i was dead as sleep while the first two times then i pop up and was like DAMN!! Oh when i was driving shants VW some damn deer popped out but that deer was no match for my evasive skills :D

i thought we were all done when that badger flew out of no where.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHA YEA THE DRIVE HOME WAS INTERESTING... btw that goat an my car were a dam good match...first race was good till you missed a gear second race... well you left like linn right on the second honk lol an stayed a car back but didnt pull/lose any ground...then when we were by polaris mexico i thought it wa hgonna be a 20 roll then turned into a 30 roll whcih is my redline an every oen went before i coudl get into 2nd before the rrace started lol ahhh in for pics of my dirty pos

HAHA YEA THE DRIVE HOME WAS INTERESTING... btw that goat an my car were a dam good match...first race was good till you missed a gear second race... well you left like linn right on the second honk lol an stayed a car back but didnt pull/lose any ground...then when we were by polaris mexico i thought it wa hgonna be a 20 roll then turned into a 30 roll whcih is my redline an every oen went before i coudl get into 2nd before the rrace started lol ahhh in for pics of my dirty pos

the first race - i forgot about the traction control so it fell on it's face. :(

the second race - i totally heard 3 honks :) ok maybe jumped a little, i was using the force and it was faster then your honks.

the first race - i forgot about the traction control so it fell on it's face. :(

the second race - i totally heard 3 honks :) ok maybe jumped a little, i was using the force and it was faster then your honks.

hahaha so the force was stronger with you... lol even phil was like wtf... ha

oh an shanton god your car sounds amazing...an way to randomly get in boost...where you trying to stay awake by doing that?

hahaha so the force was stronger with you... lol even phil was like wtf... ha

oh an shanton god your car sounds amazing...an way to randomly get in boost...where you trying to stay awake by doing that?

staying awake sucked good thing the cars had an accelerator. i had to keep sloloming the reflectors to stay awake.

and even with all our random pit stops and driver changes it still only took 2 hours to get from Akron to canal.

is sloloming a word?

staying awake sucked good thing the cars had an accelerator. i had to keep sloloming the reflectors to stay awake.

and even with all our random pit stops and driver changes it still only took 2 hours to get from Akron to canal.

is sloloming a word?

in the paul world dictionary yes: sloloming- to slalom while tired?

Sorry I misunderstood what Jeff was saying. Its all good in the hood

It was good talking to you and glad we are on the same page (Sorry for the misunderstanding on my end). I will have Eric give you a call tomorrow :)

Jeff

A few words on intake air temps......

If a car is properly tuned, intake temps will do nothing except decrease power. Obviously Erik has been racing his car for over a year with the current setup and no problems. The nitrous injection that was installed on the car is only helping the "problem".

Basis for comparison:

1) BONE STOCK Roots blower cars (like my GTP) have intake temps of over 200 degrees (this is why they only run 12* of timing, plus they have 60k warranty's with these temps ;) ) ps. My GTP has 180,000 miles on it and is still going strong with 200+ IAT's

2) Many of the supercharged Corvette kits that we install are 170+ intake temps (this is why you can only run 7* of timing but still make 600+rwhp)

3) Mark's Z06 that has trapped 159mph has 190+ intake temps (with a $2000 5" thick intercooler)......

Any air entering the engine above 100* F does hurt performance, but does not cause any other issues when properly tuned.

Eric

Unfortunately it was the only option to a request of "Just make me the cheapest Intake set-up possible to get some miles on her and we will worry about changing/upgrading it later".

The build was pretty extensive and the intake was the absolute last part that went on so I didn't blame him at all to be honest. Erik knows it has needed to be changed to lower IAT's and allow a better over-all tune and when he decides it is time for an upgrade I am sure it will be upgraded. If the motor has to come out sounds like now is as good a time as any...

Jeff

it's not my car that has high IATs due to the placement of the filter so i prolly shouldn't care, i just hope you help your customer in fixing the problem.

i just hope you help your customer in fixing the problem.

Designing and welding a true "Cold-air" Intake won't be hard at all. The existing filter most likely will work fine so its just a matter of welding the tubing all together. Since it sounds like pulling the engine is inevitable there is no better time to do it then when it is all going back in.

Jeff

I logged Eric’s car briefly about 200 yards if that

IAT temps 160-195F

4 deg of knock

max timing at WOT 10 degrees

I don’t know why certain things were done or what eric was told all i can say is what i saw on EFILive and that i saw the filter behind the radiator.

It seems as though your heads are on it and u would want the best results possible.

There is a lot of room in there and several ways to fix the problem.

Putting it there to test is one thing but to let your customer leave with it and drive hard is another.

As far as performance you know as well as I do the high intake temps under boost are more acceptable then with an N/A car due to the oxygen content. And these temps are measured after the air is compressed. We all know we want them lower and do what we can to get them there. It’s hard to believe a shop would let a car go with their name on it that’s down about 50HP and is not as safe as it could be. You said how many true race cars run a MAF as a reason for other people not to run one but think how many NA race cars run 200 degree IAT temps …none.

I think 2 different conversations are going on in this thread. As far as the engine blowing we are NOT blaming the IAT's or more to the point the intake install by IPS. yes we know some cars run high IAT's and yes we know the computer adjusts for them.

As far as I know things are sorted out and everything is good.

i see inlet air temps around 90-110 even in the florida heat/humidity with 18 psi. killer chiller for the win. my air conditioning has an extra heat exchanger to cool my intercooler fluid. my intercooler fluid is cold to the touch--probably 50-60 degrees at all times, and i can make passes at the strip with the a/c on if i want. i run 17 degrees timing

As far as performance you know as well as I do the high intake temps under boost are more acceptable then with an N/A car due to the oxygen content. And these temps are measured after the air is compressed.

ROFL