Blew motor last night...

Linc5.0

It seems as though your heads are on it and u would want the best results possible.

There is a lot of room in there and several ways to fix the problem.

Putting it there to test is one thing but to let your customer leave with it and drive hard is another.

In a perfect world it would be that easy. I could do complimentary paint jobs and cam upgrades and free alky/meth kits or E85 conversions or even buy stickier tires for cars that make good power but can't hook if they have any IPS parts or stickers on them or whatever. It would literally never end...

I can count on one hand the number of cars that the customer has given us free reign to simply "Build it". In those rare instances, anybody can feel free to critique or analyze or pick-apart every last nut or bolt if you would like. Chris Anderson's Z06 (The black one from Texas) is one such an example. There isn't a single facet of the car that isn't exactly how we would have built our own (Except maybe that he wanted to go SC instead of TT). Almost every other car/truck that has come through could have always been better in many different ways. Body / Paint / Tires / Engine mods / Turbo choice / Injector sizing / Tune / Interior / Etc etc etc etc etc ....

Back in the real-world where budgets exist and I don't get funded by Microsoft, it simply isn't possible to make every car "Perfect" or as "Good as it could be" while it is in here getting work done to it.

Jeff

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Removed

As far as performance you know as well as I do the high intake temps under boost are more acceptable then with an N/A car due to the oxygen content. And these temps are measured after the air is compressed. We all know we want them lower and do what we can to get them there.

Very true, Maf's measure IAT, and most some still have a sensor in the intake stream to measure it as well after the air is compressed.

hence why on a bosted car you have to raise FP with boost levels due to the intake charge being under pressure. N/a cars, never a good idea to run High IA temps. cant run as much timing, and we all know why they sell CIA's and ice box's and people go as far as running ice water thru the TB, to get the air temps down, to make more power. but if you was logging -4 knock retard, that would mean even 10* of timing was too much. and yes i have seen on big race motors, spark knock, hammer a bearing right out of the rod (ie the piston and rod was strong enough to take the abuse, and the bearing suffered all the damage) but that was on a 600ci motor, that someone happened to forget that one N2o jet was drilled out larger then the number on the side. like i have stated before, it would be interesting to see the internals of this engine failure. and all the examples giving prior, where boosted cars IAT's.... tuning a boosted car vs a N/a car is just not the same. but i think most novice car guy's under stand that. and this is a subject they cover in EFI101.

OMG you people are amazing........ LOL

Very true, Maf's measure IAT

No

hence why on a bosted car you have to raise FP with boost levels due to the intake charge being under pressure.

Wrong, you do not have to do this, it just helps in the tuning process, IE. Forced Induction kits on stock fuel rails...

N/a cars, never a good idea to run High IA temps. cant run as much timing

It's not a good idea to run high intake temps on any car, forced induction or NA......

tuning a boosted car vs a N/a car is just not the same.

Yeah it pretty much is.....

i think most novice car guy's under stand that. and this is a subject they cover in EFI101.

Been there done that....

Edited by EricZ06

In a perfect world it would be that easy. I could do complimentary paint jobs and cam upgrades and free alky/meth kits or E85 conversions or even buy stickier tires for cars that make good power but can't hook if they have any IPS parts or stickers on them or whatever. It would literally never end...

I can count on one hand the number of cars that the customer has given us free reign to simply "Build it". In those rare instances, anybody can feel free to critique or analyze or pick-apart every last nut or bolt if you would like. Chris Anderson's Z06 (The black one from Texas) is one such an example. There isn't a single facet of the car that isn't exactly how we would have built our own (Except maybe that he wanted to go SC instead of TT). Almost every other car/truck that has come through could have always been better in many different ways. Body / Paint / Tires / Engine mods / Turbo choice / Injector sizing / Tune / Interior / Etc etc etc etc etc ....

Back in the real-world where budgets exist and I don't get funded by Microsoft, it simply isn't possible to make every car "Perfect" or as "Good as it could be" while it is in here getting work done to it.

Jeff

all that makes perfect sence it just seemed to me that it wouldn't have taken a whole lot of money to fix such a big problem and i say again the problem we are refering to is not what blew the motor.

I posted about the IAT temps to clarify for others the differences in Expected IATs between NA and boosted cars and i think i'm being misunderstood i didn't wright that very well and my intentions and reason for posting what i did have been overlooked.

i have nothing against IPS i have nothing against ericZ06 i have gotten several texts about what IPS did to erics car or what they are going to do about fixing it i was simply trying to clarify how one problem did not lead to another. i could have said IPS sucks don't go there but i thought it best to post the truth.

huh, what do you mean you people?

http://finephotoplay.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/tropic-thunder.jpg

WINNNNNARRRRRRRR!!!!!!

I'm all for a good debate guys, just dont get personal or the thread will be locked up.

because this thread is about eric blowing his motor and it turned into a thread about your intake setup and him running 200 deg intake temps.

i was trying to say how they are unrelated.

Gotcha. I really didn't think that was in question but thanks :)

Jeff

Jeff

this is not an arguement statement, just me explaining what I think about budgets. They are never stuck to usually because of unforseen expenses. My first budget was 4k more than originally expected. My second budget was 3k more than expected, just do to things popping up....ie power steering racks, motor mounts, etc etc. It happens...

Wrong, you do not have to do this, it just helps in the tuning process, IE. Forced Induction kits on stock fuel rails...

i dont understand please clearify? you have to raise fuel pressure with boost.. or you have no fuel...

i dont understand please clearify? you have to raise fuel pressure with boost.. or you have no fuel...

You don't HAVE to, idealy you want your pressure drop across the injector to remain the same, given the injector is large enough you can compensate in the tune. This is not ideal but it will work. In a perfect world you do want a consistent pressure drop across the injector.