Columbus Ford Dealers 500

Casper

So there used to be an Indy race in Columbus in the 80s. I believe it was the Pioneer 200. Does anyone have any info about this? I can't find anything online about it.

Correction:

I know now it was the Columbus Ford Dealers 500.

Edited by Casper

Worked that race - the old Ohio State Penitentiary was still standing the first year - the worker registration & party was inside the old yard! In support of the IMSA GT race was a showroom stock race Saturday evening, a "mini enduro" (3 hour?). Most of the cars had knocked their lights off before it got dark. I also recall that with the "ground effects' aero package, the cars were sucking the manhole covers off and they all had to be welded shut after the first practice. Ah, back when "Buck" Reinhart was mayor!

Worked that race - the old Ohio State Penitentiary was still standing the first year - the worker registration & party was inside the old yard! In support of the IMSA GT race was a showroom stock race Saturday evening, a "mini enduro" (3 hour?). Most of the cars had knocked their lights off before it got dark. I also recall that with the "ground effects' aero package, the cars were sucking the manhole covers off and they all had to be welded shut after the first practice. Ah, back when "Buck" Reinhart was mayor!

rofl back when certain interest groups didn't run everything

Jesus although it looks badass, think of how much it cost to put up all of the barriers and close that all off for a week or weekend.

IIRC the labor was mostly volunteer, so it probably didnt cost much at all.

there is no one downtown on the weekends either, so street closings not that big of a deal either :p

If I recall, the event died when they needed some cash from the city to "get them over the hump" (cost of the barriers and fencing that the race had purchased and needed to pay off? - my recollection is a bit fuzzy) after the fifth(?) year. The city council said no, and the event folded.

The money lost (hotels & food for the teams - let alone spectators) vs. the cost makes this look even more stupid.

IIRC the labor was mostly volunteer, so it probably didnt cost much at all.

there is no one downtown on the weekends either, so street closings not that big of a deal either :p

My feelings exactly.