Couple progress pics of my fox

93fox

Guest Removed
I went and picked up a compression tester so we can see if we can find a cylinder leaking down. Will know something about the motor tomorrow in the morning. I am not sure if I can speak for Alex or not. The game plan is get some Felpro MLS head gaskets and have the heads checked to make sure they are not warped. The coolant temp never got over 190 degrees. My guess is the heads have lifted under boost causing combustion gas to leak into the cooling system. Alex changed oil today and there were no signs of coolant in the oil. There is a reason why after market heads have a taller deck thickness around the bottom head bolts which helps keep things sealed up.

was this on stock gaskets? with normal head bolts?

hell those would have blown with more then 6-8 psi

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We tore the car down sunday afternoon/evening. Car went together on monday with MLS head gaskets and ARP head studs. Great care was taken to ensure all threads in the block were chased and cleaned with a tap. Heads and block were cleaned to ensure a good seal. Fasteners were checked 2 and 3 times for the correct torque. I am proud of both Alex and myself for the work performed. I do not like doing this kind of work for a living. However I did enjoy doing the work. One thing we found was a oversized dowel in the block around the cylinder where combustion was making it into a water passage. I can not confirm that this was the problem. However this is the cylinder that failed.

I spent the day getting the dyno up and running. A CMOS battery going bad caused the dyno computer to crash. You have no idea what a pain in the ass it is to get the winpep and CDS software working in harmony.

Goal is to tune the car thrusday morning and head to kilkare.

Also a big thanks to Duff and Smuck for their help. :)

We tore the car down sunday afternoon/evening. Car went together on monday with MLS head gaskets and ARP head studs. Great care was taken to ensure all threads in the block were chased and cleaned with a tap. Heads and block were cleaned to ensure a good seal. Fasteners were checked 2 and 3 times for the correct torque. I am proud of both Alex and myself for the work performed. I do not like doing this kind of work for a living. However I did enjoy doing the work. One thing we found was a oversized dowel in the block around the cylinder where combustion was making it into a water passage. I can not confirm that this was the problem. However this is the cylinder that failed.

I spent the day getting the dyno up and running. A CMOS battery going bad caused the dyno computer to crash. You have no idea what a pain in the ass it is to get the winpep and CDS software working in harmony.

Goal is to tune the car thrusday morning and head to kilkare.

Also a big thanks to Duff and Smuck for their help. :)

What time in the morning, i would love to stop out.. Glad you got it put back together.