Would dealership cover synchro issue?

Tripleskate

I've noticed more and more, recently that my 2nd gear's synchro seems to not work well. Shifting into second has always felt difficult, almost like it was resisting (every other gear is buttery compared to second). Now I've started grinding occasionally for no particular reason. I always have the clutch fully down and it happens under all different types of driving, I.E. low revs, high revs it doesn't really matter. Should the dealership cover replacing my 2nd gear synchro?

jake they should generally take care of you. bring it to them and see what they will do but id remove the short shifter and any other mods to the transmission while you bring it to them

+1.

Since this may involve some serious work, I would even de-mod it as much as possible before you go in.

what year is your 3 and how many miles first off.

2008 with ~19,500miles. I need to find my stock shifter, so the Techs at Byers don't have a shitfit. That and I should probably remove my intake and go back to the stock airbox just as a precaution...

2008 with ~19,500miles. I need to find my stock shifter, so the Techs at Byers don't have a shitfit. That and I should probably remove my intake and go back to the stock airbox just as a precaution...

No need to put the stock airbox back in. It has absolutely nothing to do with the transmission.

when i was working at a local honda dealership we had recalls on 06+ civic si's because syncro problems most K series platforms have them. Have you checked to see if there is a recall on your transmission? as long as you are in your warranty they should take care of it but you must put the stock shifter in before taking it in.

No need to put the stock airbox back in. It has absolutely nothing to do with the transmission.

Ummm, how do you figure that? I think it's easy to argue engine mods=possibly more power=higher transmission fatigue. I know the burden of proof is on them, but it's easy to put the stock intake back on. Putting the stock intake back on=20 minutes and them not having another thing to try to deny his warranty over.

Ummm, how do you figure that? I think it's easy to argue engine mods=possibly more power=higher transmission fatigue. I know the burden of proof is on them, but it's easy to put the stock intake back on. Putting the stock intake back on=20 minutes and them not having another thing to try to deny his warranty over.

Which just causes problems for 2nd gear only???

Which just causes problems for 2nd gear only???

Well regardless of making more or less power, short shifter or not, from my expierence it's 1 or 2 of the snycros that have issues first, then the others start to follow. Usually not as drastic as his case, but you never know.

Given the little info we have I bet it's a combination of some issue with that particular snycro, some missalingement of the shiter/linkage (whether from the stock parts that were never touched and/or the short shifter), and shifting hard into second gear more than others (on the road going from a light fast, you will start in 1st, shift to second and then you'll be going fast enough so you will let off and shift to a higher gear).

At any rate, if it were me, I'm wouldn't bet on the dealership being logical or fair.

They could even try to say that since it's modded he must 'abuse' it and it just happened to be the second gear that he abused first and that's why it's having problem. I'm more coming from the perspective that ansonivan is saying. I don't know the car, but generally speaking it's really, really, easy to replace an intake. 20 minutes=less possible hassle at the dealership.

If I were him I would go as much back to stock as humanly possible.

Logic has nothing to do with this, some dealers will grab any excuse to deny a warranty claim.

It's just not worth taking a chance, re-installing stock parts > paying for transmission overhaul out of pocket.

Exactly my point. However, I can't find the parts for my stock shifter so I think I'm SOL. I think some parts may have been boxed up/moved around to god knows where during the move to our new place. Ugh.

i know with GM sometimes they will only do it if goes out completely and they hint for you to make it go out completely. my buddy's GTO just got a new tranny under warranty.

that must have just been that dealer that hinted that.

under warranty alot of the time i price rebuild high that way its cheeper to replace the transmission. if its something simpile that i just fix it though.

Exactly my point. However, I can't find the parts for my stock shifter so I think I'm SOL. I think some parts may have been boxed up/moved around to god knows where during the move to our new place. Ugh.

Post up a WTB on here and any mazda boards, you know someone has those parts laying around and will let them go on the cheap.

that must have just been that dealer that hinted that.

under warranty alot of the time i price rebuild high that way its cheeper to replace the transmission. if its something simpile that i just fix it though.

it all depends whats cheapest sometimes it's cheaper to replace the whole thing.

I'll trade you straight up. :)

Pffft. Yeah right! :p I still <3 my short shifter, it's height adjustable, got a good short, honda-esque throw to it. Just wish my azn car was better built! lol

---

Edit: However, I wouldn't mind "trading" temporarily, if you wanna borrow my short shifter and I can borrow your OEM one for a day or two.

Edited by Tripleskate