Thinking of getting a Jeep

87GT

So some things have come up and we are debating getting a used Jeep. It will be for the wife to drive daily but I will be driving it when we are both off work. Also we will be using it to haul building material for our house repairs. I think I have talked her out of wanting a wrangler because I think she will hate the comfort level of driving it daily. Plus with mikehaze's incidents with stolen body parts she is not wanting it. Skinner mentioned I should get a Cherokee.

We are looking to spend $5000. Has to have working a/c and 4x4. Anyone have an idea of what we should be considering. Any issues or recalls I should know about on Cherokees? Do the rear seats fold down in the back? How much storage area does it have? Would it be possible to haul an 8 foot posts in the car without the trunk open?

So some things have come up and we are debating getting a used Jeep. It will be for the wife to drive daily but I will be driving it when we are both off work. Also we will be using it to haul building material for our house repairs. I think I have talked her out of wanting a wrangler because I think she will hate the comfort level of driving it daily. Plus with mikehaze's incidents with stolen body parts she is not wanting it. Skinner mentioned I should get a Cherokee.

We are looking to spend $5000. Has to have working a/c and 4x4. Anyone have an idea of what we should be considering. Any issues or recalls I should know about on Cherokees? Do the rear seats fold down in the back? How much storage area does it have? Would it be possible to haul an 8 foot posts in the car without the trunk open?

cherokee defentally. 8 foot posts...eeeeh not sure

folding seats yup are's did

an yes youll be able to find a decent one for under 5k shit we bought ours for 800 bucks :) an it was a BEASSSSSTTTTT sucks we sold it mpg will be iffy but amazing in the winter

$5000 will get you a NICE 2000-2001 Cherokee.

2 and 4 door have the same wheel base and body length, so regardless, you won't be fitting 8ft posts in there with the hatch closed.

Keep it stock if you want the ride to remain "comfortable".

Yeah, $5,000 will get you a NICE late Cherokee. 8 foot posts.....at best, you might be able to strap them to the roof. The best way to haul those would be in a longbed fullsize truck though, so no jeep would be ideal. Or you could just borrow a trailer.

Yeah, $5,000 will get you a NICE late Cherokee. 8 foot posts.....at best, you might be able to strap them to the roof. The best way to haul those would be in a longbed fullsize truck though, so no jeep would be ideal. Or you could just borrow a trailer.

We were discussing maybe getting a truck too but I don't know what kind. What would be a good option for a $5000 truck?

But yes hauling will be in the future. Right now its just fence lumber. Soon drywall and probably house windows etc etc...

Yeah for $5K, you can pick up a nice 00-01 with probably between 100-150K. But the 4.0L easily last into the 300K range. Seats do fold down. 8 foot posts wold be kind of tough. You might be able to fit them in with them sitting on the arm rest in the middle and close the hatch. If not, just strap it down and you should be ok.

Only problem with the last few years of the XJ was a leaking exhaust manifold. Most were replaced under warranty. If not you can pick one up for like $100.

If you are wanting to go just a little bigger and still want a Jeep, I got my 01 Grand Cherokee (WJ) with the 4.0L for $5K out the door. It only had 111K miles on it when I got it. But a Grand Cherokee (ZJ or WJ) will not be but just a few inches longer than the XJ

It's hard to beat the Cherokee for all-around usefulness. It has a great tow rating for an SUV, decent interior space with a fold flat seat (nearly) and they are great for getting around in inclement weather or camping trails etc. It's not going to haul as much big stuff as a truck but a Cherokee can tow 5000lbs, so toss in a cheap harbor freight trailer and you have a replacement for the bed of a truck. It's not always there like in a pickup, but you're not using it on a construction site.

Experienced coils if coil on plug, leaking exhaust manifolds, and water pumps out the ass on the 4.0L. Good trucks, otherwise they are one of the favorites at the shop in the winter thats for sure, I would certainly own one.

Pat (clbsinvders (sp?)) just went through buying one, his biggest issue that stands out in my mind was putting them in 4wd turning and locking the wheel and one of the axles would hop b/c it would not engage/disengage properly if I remember correctly, I'm sure he will comment and be open to talk about it.

Spend a little bit more and get a grand cherokee. V8 option, more room, more comfort, similar fuel econ.

No. Grand Cherokee are ugly and their motors are junk. The 4.0L is a great motor.

No. Grand Cherokee are ugly and their motors are junk. The 4.0L is a great motor.

I know all about the 4.0 being a great motor. I've had a few. They just dont make enough power stock. I haven't seen or heard anything bad about the 5.2 or the 5.9. Your thoughts on the appearance is your opinion so all I can say is that I disagree with you.

I don't really care for a V8 jeep. I don't think GC is what I want. I have been looking on autotrader and 1999 - 2001 cherokee with 100K or more miles are around 5-6K. Does that sound worth it?

We had a 99 GC with the 4.0 and it would get 23mpg on the highway not pulling anything. Albiet a 2wd model though :(

Also, you can find the Cherokees with a NP231 or NP242 transfer case. The 231 is a true 4x4 case whereas you shouldn't use it on dry pavement. The NP242 is nice as it has Jeeps rendition of AWD, kinda. This can be used on dry pavement 100% of time and has no wear effects on the drive train. Personally, I like the 242 because you can throw it in that selection when its raining or light snow etc and have the comfort of all 4 wheels pulling you. I have the NP242 in my 00 Cherokee.

Oh, and it is inevitable. All 4.0's end up leaking around the rear main seals, valve cover gasket, and/or the oil filter adapter.

Pat (clbsinvders (sp?)) just went through buying one, his biggest issue that stands out in my mind was putting them in 4wd turning and locking the wheel and one of the axles would hop b/c it would not engage/disengage properly if I remember correctly, I'm sure he will comment and be open to talk about it.

Yeah, you aren't suppose to do that on dry pavement with a true 4x4 system. That hopping is normal, and can break shit.

$5000 will get you a NICE 2000-2001 Cherokee.

They can be had for less. Keep looking. I love mine as a daily. Solid as a rock, thusfar (knock on wood).

Yeah, you aren't suppose to do that on dry pavement with a true 4x4 system. That hopping is normal, and can break shit.

I use mine only in the nastiness. Even in rain, I don't need it. Just really bad snow/slush. It's a nice thing to have.

The only issue mine has is the leaking valve cover gasket. I'm just too lazy to fix right now.

If I recall, later XJ's had "disliked" heads. Can't remember why, just that they aren't too desirable.

In all, great daily, parts are somewhat cheap. MPG for me is always between 18-19mpg on a 100% stock, 175k mile 4.0L.

If I recall, later XJ's had "disliked" heads. Can't remember why, just that they aren't too desirable.

Correct. The head casting on 2000+ models was "0331" which commonly cracks between cylinders 3 and 4. I went through it with mine and even converted it over to a "0630" head to prevent any future issues.

To the OP, if you get a 2000 or 2001 XJ, PM me with any questions about this issue. I know it inside and out.

Correct. The head casting on 2000+ models was "0331" which commonly cracks between cylinders 3 and 4. I went through it with mine and even converted it over to a "0630" head to prevent any future issues.

To the OP, if you get a 2000 or 2001 XJ, PM me with any questions about this issue. I know it inside and out.

Thank you! I was just too lazy to look it up...lack of sleep owns.

I think mine's still an 0331 head. Or it coulda been replaced, back when it was a Toronto car...

+1 on that like axle shafts and u joints.Also the 5.9 was a 1 year option 98 only.

The V8 engines available in the GC's were all good engines and all of them used in Dodge trucks. The ZJ's (93-98) came with the optional 5.2 and in 98 the 5.9. WJ's (99-04) came with the 4.7 V8 option. But most GC's were sold with the 4.0L. Gas mileage can greatly very between the years and models with the 4.0L. My first Jeep was a 94 Cherokee and I got 26 mpg consistently with mainly driving highway miles. My next Jeep was a 93 ZJ with the 5.2L that I was barely able to squeeze 17 mpg, but that one had some issues. In my current 01 WJ, I get on average 22 mpg, and on long trips 26 mpg.

And as far as the transfer case for the XJ, you have the true 4x4 one (231) and the part-time one (242). The 242 was an option that most people went with. If you plan on doing more off road, then get the 231. But if you want it for the "just in case" get one with the 242. Easiest way to tell which transfer case it has is to look at the selector in the Jeep. 2wd-4wd hi-N-4wd low is the 231. 2wd-part-time 4wd-4wd hi-N-4wd low is the 242. But of course transfer swaps are very common in the Jeep community so ask.

They can be had for less. Keep looking. I love mine as a daily. Solid as a rock, thusfar (knock on wood).

Yes, they can. But I was more saying you can find a mint low mileage (sub 90,000 miles) Cherokee for that price.

Or, you could be like me and pick up a '00 with 93,000 for $1800 ;)