A question about BMW engines

Rustlestiltskin

I going to attempt to change the thermostat on my 1995 bmw 325i 4door. It has the m50 engine (I think) in it. its the 6 cylinder engine. Anyways, Does anybody know where the thermostat is located on these engines and what would be the best way to take it off and replace? I'm not familiar at all with these cars and I have no doubt that I could take it off I just need to know where its at and what would be the best way to take it off. Thanks in Advance guys. Any help/info would be GREAT!!

thanks,

Paul:cool:

Edited by Rustlestiltskin

Guest Removed

all i can see for the 325i for a 95 came with a M50 engine...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/Shop%20stuff/84902116.gif

right above the crank pulley..and yes its plastic and like to leak..look at it and see if you see odd stains around the housing..if so, just order the housing. should be able to get it thru intertrashinal

M50 as stated previously...good motors....except for that plastic water pump housing at the front.

Rob posted a picture of it, you're going to want to replace the housing while you're in there. There are aftermarket ones available in metal that won't crack like stock. You will also want to take a good look at the radiator while you're at it, because the stock ones like to break the stock plastic necks where the hoses connect....usually about the same time this leak happens from the water pump housing (that's where you're going for the thermostat)....which also leads me to that point....replace the water pump while you're in there.

Just to add to what the others have said:

- you will want to remove the fan and fan shroud in order to have better access to the thermostat housing

- if the housing is plastic buy a new one

- buy a new water pump unless you have a record of it being replaced in the last 60K, it's directly below the thermostat so you can save time and future trouble by doing it now.

- check your tension and idler pulleys for bearing noise and play, probably a good time to do them also

- check the serpentine belt for cracks

- if you have no record of the radiator being replaced this is a good time to do that, pulling the radiator also makes the whole job a breeze because of the extra room afforded.

Fan - 32mm reverse threads, you will probably need to make, borrow or purchase a tool to hold the water pump pulley still while breaking loose the fan clutch threads. Occasionally a healthy dead blow hammer tap on the 32mm wrench will get the job done.

It's not a difficult job as long as you go about it the right way, have the correct tools and remove the fan and shroud. Trying to shortcut it will result in frustration and sore hands.

Understeer.com is a local guy who sells all of the parts mentioned, he stocks decent quality stuff (much better than the fail-prone-poo of the chain stores)

"Understeer.com is a local guy who sells all of the parts mentioned, he stocks decent quality stuff (much better than the fail-prone-poo of the chain stores)"

I went to high school with this guy, I think he is on here still (he was). That is where I would send you for anything on an older BMW.