what to buy evo or sti

rruuff

ok, i am looking to buy either evo or sti in the near future. i like the looks of both, so taking the looks out of the equation which one is better.

looking at dependability, power, price of upgrading ect.

any help would be appreciated.

the newest generation. dont know a whole lot about these cars so thats why im asking.

looking for a combination of power and handling

buy a 9. the 10's are still too new to make a lot of power and there arn't that many parts.

.... i ment daily driving drag racing road course autox ? both cars have power an handling.. there dam near the same but the evo is a bettere dragger the sti is a better road courser

imo

Don't know where you're getting that info..........

Evo is the best for the track (as in road course, not drag).

STI is the best for daily driving.

That is what it usually comes down to with these two. Now that is not to say that the Evo can't be driven daily, and the STI doesn't handle well, it simply states what each car is better at than the other.

I would get an Evo 8,9 or 10 over the STI.

IMO...evo's go straight, STI's turn. You will get more HP easier and safer with an EVO.

Yet every major magazine, car tester and journalist seems to think the EVO handles better, and is THE choice for the turns. :rolleyes:

It may do better at the drag strip as well, but they also are the best in the corners.

Yet every major magazine, car tester and journalist seems to think the EVO handles better, and is THE choice for the turns. :rolleyes:

It may do better at the drag strip as well, but they also are the best in the corners.

eeee i dont agree, ive seen more testeers the other way around. atleast on the older stis an evo the new ones suck ass i even remember a test drive episode where they raced an the evo was beter drag an sti better corners. eathier way both cars will do exactally what he wants to do with out any problem my vote is for evo thought lol

IMO...evo's go straight, STI's turn.

I'm not really sure where you got that idea, but ok.

Evo vs STI huh ? Well the STI will make the more comfortable daily driver, can also make big numbers, and is arguably the more reliable.

The Evo 8/9 is easier, and cheaper to mod. So faster for less money, and in pretty much every road comparsion handles better and more aggressivley than the STI. Once you start modding suspensions than its bascially a toss-up.

Really though, you can't go wrong either way.

eeee i dont agree, ive seen more testeers the other way around. atleast on the older stis an evo the new ones suck ass i even remember a test drive episode where they raced an the evo was beter drag an sti better corners. eathier way both cars will do exactally what he wants to do with out any problem my vote is for evo thought lol

C&D on the new STI:

Where it falls down is in the steering department, which is too light and far too vague. Most annoyingly, the only feel conveyed through the steering wheel is in the form of kickback from road bumps

The aforementioned steering is the main culprit—it makes it difficult to figure out what’s going on at the wheels

Those still brave enough to push the STI will quickly discover understeer through almost any type of corner, and the many settings of the center differential don’t seem to offer a cure

C&D on the EVO X:

For starters, it clings to the road. We recorded 0.97 g on a slippery skidpad, fighting oversteer all the while. That’s right, oversteer

Since the skidpad only measures maximum lateral grip, it’s not a consistent indication of good handling, but in this case it’s perfectly in line with the over-the-road experience. The quick steering—2.3 turns lock-to-lock—offers more feel than that of the other cars. The stiff brake pedal is more communicative, too, and the brakes don’t ever seem to fade.

It’s predictable, it’s capable, and it’s more communicative than the competition. That lets you drive it harder and faster, so if you want to get somewhere in a hurry, the Lancer Evolution GSR is the best choice

C&D on 2005 STI:

If you want to pin the tail on the donkey, in a word the culprit is understeer.

But in the business of getting the car to hurry through corners, its behavior was consistently reluctant. This was apparent on various Michigan back roads, and even more apparent at GingerMan, where it's impossible to hide from a stopwatch. At corner exits, the Subaru's torque asserted itself, hustling the car toward the next corner with a will. But the Evo's superior athleticism added up to an advantage

C&D on the 2005 Evo 9 MR:

Where the STi resists turn-in, the MR hunkers down and drags its front end onto the desired line

a little rotation around the vertical axis to reduce the time spent in cornering. This enhances lap times and is far more enjoyable than waiting for understeer to end.

the Mitsu was the quicker of the two cars in the emergency-lane-change test.

This is supported by pretty much every other magazine out there. STI better daily driver, has better corner exit power (ie less turbo lag) and has a much better interior, but the EVO is faster in a straight line and around a track and is more fun to drive.

I'm not really sure where you got that idea, but ok.

Evo vs STI huh ? Well the STI will make the more comfortable daily driver, can also make big numbers, and is arguably the more reliable.

The Evo 8/9 is easier, and cheaper to mod. So faster for less money, and in pretty much every road comparsion handles better and more aggressivley than the STI. Once you start modding suspensions than its bascially a toss-up.

Really though, you can't go wrong either way.

Exactly.............thank you.

Dependability: Subaru

Power: Evo 8 or 9, then STI, then Evo X. The older Evos can be modded for lots of power on the stock block. The STI, from 04 to present, can make good power and the new STIs still have the same basic engine as previous ones. The new Evos have a new engine that hasn't been fully exploited by the aftermarket yet.

Price of upgrading: Depends on how much you want to mod. The Evo 8 and 9 start out with a lot of power really cheap. But then the STI takes over because you can go big power on the stock drive train, whereas the stock Evo drivetrain can be.. temperamental at best with big power. Anyone who breaks a STI transmission was TRYING to. People drag 800hp STIs with the stock gearbox. They often leave the stock rear axles in as fuses because they'll break before the transmission does.

So it's tough to say which.

Personally, I bought an STI. I like Subaru's reliability record. I like their design philosophy. And I wasn't planning to go balls-out on power. The cool Subaru community was a nice bonus. (I also think the Evo 8 and 9 are disproportioned and rather ugly.)

Dependability: Subaru

Power: Evo 8 or 9, then STI, then Evo X. The older Evos can be modded for lots of power on the stock block. The STI, from 04 to present, can make good power and the new STIs still have the same basic engine as previous ones. The new Evos have a new engine that hasn't been fully exploited by the aftermarket yet.

Price of upgrading: Depends on how much you want to mod. The Evo 8 and 9 start out with a lot of power really cheap. But then the STI takes over because you can go big power on the stock drive train, whereas the stock Evo drivetrain can be.. temperamental at best with big power. Anyone who breaks a STI transmission was TRYING to. People drag 800hp STIs with the stock gearbox. They often leave the stock rear axles in as fuses because they'll break before the transmission does.

So it's tough to say which.

Personally, I bought an STI. I like Subaru's reliability record. I like their design philosophy. And I wasn't planning to go balls-out on power. The cool Subaru community was a nice bonus. (I also think the Evo 8 and 9 are disproportioned and rather ugly.)

Whoa Skippie the EVO 8 and 9 are tits. LOL in all seriousness, anyone that owns one of these car will help you make the decision that suits you, dont take advice from people that have never had either of the cars, they dont know anything. I have an 08 STi that i would be willing to let you check out and drive (its stage 2 though). The dealerships will not let you drive either of the cars. I bought the STi for the reliability, cargo space, and the fact that im sure Subaru will still be making cars in the next 5 years. I LOVE the way the new EVO looks, but it didnt make sense to get it with what i am using the car for. Stock for stock, the EVO takes the cake by a hair. Once you start modding, then it doesnt really matter, both will be fast and handle great, just one (STi) will have NAV and can carry a bike and recaro baby seats (i dont have kids, but might just to have the seats) :)

If you're considering an 04-07 (aka GD) STI with suspension mods, you can test drive mine. I'm only Stage 1, so power is nearly stock. But the suspension is heavily modified. AJ rode in it at the T+T autocross.

no wonder why he always talks about wanting an sti