Close Call today ** A look inside the nest **

TTQ B4U

So I was working in the back yard under and around this nest that I only discovered after shaking the tree they were in a bit more than they liked.

I heard the buzzing, paused, looked up about 2' above where I was standing and saw some mighty angry wasps pouring out of a hole in their nest, which is current 1/2 the size of a regulation football :eek:

I ran like a scared little girl and grabbed the kids who were about 15' away in the sandbox. The dog instinctilvely followed....thankfully so.

They quieted down rather quickly and in the end, didn't seem too alarmed with me and my camera standing just below them at about 5' from their nest.

That said, I have done a little research and believe they are Stictia carolina but am not sure.

Anyone confirm this? I've yet to find any information on their behavior to find out if they aggressive or are they just simply worth leaving and not messing with. My main concern is that I do need to finish my landscaping and with two kids, their safety is greater than my love for Mother Nature's creatures.

Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure, but if anyone has information, I would appreciate it.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/114600021/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/114600023/original.jpg

Edited by TTQ B4U

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ICI paint store carries some good foamy wasp and hornet spray that stickshose down the nest good and make sure you get them all. If you had found that in the woods somewhere I'd say leave it, but if anything shakes that tree too hard like a squirrel and you or your kids are outside they are going to sting the shit out of you.

nice pictures btw

Get rid of them! My brother (Big Steve) was attacked by wasps after messing with the nest when he was a little kid... They tore him up.

Once stepped in one of those underground bee hives... They chased me into the house then into the bedroom and continued to sting me. They don't fuck around.

I love finding nests like that, just because they are so much fun to set on fire, and here you are, just sitting on your hands. Take video, add sardonic laughter, show us.

Meh...a You Tube video of me being chased by wasps and screaming like a girl...I can live without that :o

I'm not going to take any chances, but I do want some more info before I end them. I emailed two professors, one I found on the interweb and the other at OSU just to get a better understanding.

If it wasn't for my kids, who as stated earlier, "could" or "might" accidentally disturb them by kicking a ball or something, then I would likely leave them be. Hell, I mowed and chopped around them for several hours and only noticed them after I did something to shake the nest and put them on edge. Otherwise, they seemed very tolerant of me.

I'll very likely take them down, but at night and with raid. I do have a night vision video camera though. :D

Updates forthcoming.

Not wasps, they're hornets. Since they're white, I googled "white hornets".... and found out they're wasps. lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald-faced_hornet

Step one: Place trach can under nest

Step Two: Fill the hole with great stuff

Step three: Cut nest stem and make it wall into trash can.

Step 4: Close trash bag.

That is a beautiful nest. Now...burn it. :)

I leave bumblebees and honey bees alone because they pollinate plants, make honey (honeybees) and, from what I've heard in the science community, are having a tough time surviving for unknown reasons. Until I hear otherwise, yellowjackets, wasps, hornets, anything else I think can sting me is going down pronto.

Not wasps, they're hornets. Since they're white, I googled "white hornets".... and found out they're wasps. lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald-faced_hornet

BINGO! YOU ARE SPOT ON! I got an email back from both professors. That's exactly what they are.

He sent me a couple links including the wiki one. Bottom line is they need to come down.

http://www.vespa-crabro.de/baldfaced-hornet/baldfaced2.htm

He said that I was in 110% danger of being massively attacked yesterday and that two things likely kept me safe.

• It was about to rain and they instinctively are less active during low pressure systems. It was in fact sprinkling very lightly.

• The other main thing is that my yard work dress consists of gray shorts and a grey shirt. That is essentially a camouflage outfit in terms of what they look for. If I was wearing any type of color at all, I would likely have been a major target.

They key for safety he said is to 100% do it at night when it's completely dark. Use a flashlight so shine on the nest, but use one that I don't mind leaving out to drain all night as it will likely be covered with them in a matter of minutes.

Locate the flashlight 10' or more from my position as they will exit to defend the nest even at night. Hornets and Wasps will target the light, so obviously the key is NOT to hold the flashlight.

There you have it folks. I will likely set up my video camera with it's 120x zoom, etc..... :D

More later.

WD40 soak-

Brake Cleaner mist-

Light-

Profit.

= fun show

Whenever I use to find nests like this back in the day or if i'd find tent worms up in our trees, Id carefully cut the limb off if it was in reach and set it out in middle of yard and torch it.