School Me On Boats, I Might Wanna Buy One...

Wease

Been kicking around the idea of buying a boat. Nothing crazy, something in the $5K - $6K range, but it has to be open bow and preferably a V8. Something I can ski/tube/fish from and get my dogs in, if I wish. My neighbor had a nice 19 foot Thompson years ago that he let me borrow and we had a great time with it. Storing it isn't an issue, I've got nearly 2 acres of space and live out in the country.

What should I look for, what should I get? I've been in contact with the owners of these boats, they both seem decent:

1988 Chaparral

1989 Thompson

So school me on what I should be looking for, etc. :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i keep hearing from alot of friends that thre v8s or 4cy supercharged boats get shitty gas milage(or hours per gallon blah) find somethign with a nice powerfull 4cyl or a 6 might save you some money each weekend.

i see a CRAP ton of bayliners out on the lake each weekend all of which are usually towing skis tubes ect. an im sure can be had in your pricerange rather easily.

im new to the boating scene as well so ide love to hear what otehrs have to say cause ill be in the market for the family here next season

check for damange to the lower unit. dryrot in the floorboards(if its got a wooden deck) when we baught our boat, we baught it from pauls marine(in lewis center) everything looked great but first trip to lake erie with it it took a shit. id also recommend only running meijer or sunoco? gas

Like the others said about checking the outdrive,make sure you have someone check that! Also look at the exhaust bellows, shift cable, and the trim angle sensors. Those parts are not too expensive to buy, but the labor is a real killer on those.

Make sure you test it at a lake. Things may look good while it is on the trailer, when you add water the game changes.

Do a compression test on the engine, look for any sign of water in the oil. People have a habit of not winterizing, then getting a cracked block. They forget to tell you about it.

My .02

i keep hearing from alot of friends that thre v8s or 4cy supercharged boats get shitty gas milage(or hours per gallon blah) find somethign with a nice powerfull 4cyl or a 6 might save you some money each weekend.

No.

I own a N/A 4-banger, making 140HP.

Yes, it will pull my 215lb ass slalom skiing, and easily pulls me wakeboarding, or two tubes - you still want a V8. In the end, every time you get in, you'll enjoy the boat, but have V8 envy.

My only solace is my boat does do very well on fuel. I'm sure a carbed 350 in my boat with the correct prop ran at the same level as my 4 banger would achieve fuel results not much worse than what my 4-banger gets, as I have to run the 4-banger a lot harder (of course you'd have to be throttle conscience with the V8 boat in that situation). I also had to sacrifice 4 MPH on my top end in order to get the pull I really needed down below; and that sacrifice also hurts normal crusing speed a bit too. It's always a balance with a prop.

We spoke about this last night, but as I said go for a 350 if possible. Ford motors in boats aren't as common, and when it comes to boat parts (especially older boats), you want stuff to be as common and standard as possible. Don't get an outboard, as for what you want, it will just make you unhappy.

Avoid OMC outdrives; not as good as the Mercrusier drivers, and parts will be harder to find. Not that I'd back out of a good deal because of an OMC drive. Make sure there is no water in the outdrive (if it is milky white, that's bad).

Old school V8 jet-boats are niffty, but very thirsty, and IMO are a niche market boat.

A true inboard boat would be sweet, but will cost you a little more. That said, re-sale will be excellent on one, as true ski-nuts want a full inboard, and a lot of people throw towers on them to make a semi-wakeboard boat they can actually afford (as we talked about yesterday, a true wakeboard boat is a V-drive inboard w/ a tower and some sort of wake altering device, normally balast tanks, wedge, etc. and are very expensive).

Newer Jet-Boats (like a Sea-Doo, Yamaha, etc.) can be very affordable, but the ones in the size you want go up in price a lot more, and they seem to beat on you more than a similar-sized prop boat. Motors seem to be less reliable on these as well.

I have owned many boats and been boating for many more years. My suggestion is always get a test run on the water if your spending serious money. Make sure the floor feels hard and not soft. Check wheel bearings on trailer. Compression check engine if capable. Buy based on what your use will be and you cant go wrong.

Avoid OMC outdrives; not as good as the Mercrusier drivers, and parts will be harder to find. Not that I'd back out of a good deal because of an OMC drive.

Funny, I was going to look at this, which is OMC, but looks to be a good deal... :confused:

I'll make you a good deal on a Formula with a built 350, but low compression - needs to come out and find out whats wrong. I have pics on here - just search my name or send me your email. Let me know what your ball park is. I wasn't going to sell it, but anything is possible.

I too like to have a powerful engine but at the same time dont agree it has to be a V8. My old boat was a 300hp v6. It did more than I ever needed it to. My gf's boat has a 4 cylinder with i think 140hp(?) and if it wasnt for the prop being so tore up and shitty it would have a decent amount of power and last week we still pulled 4 people on tubes with 4 others in the boat. Little slow getting out of the water but again I think a new prop would make the difference. I would want a little more power than what it has myself but I think a nice V6 would be a happy medium when it comes to fuel/power. If $120 every weekend is nothing to you then I would say go V8.

I too like to have a powerful engine but at the same time dont agree it has to be a V8. My old boat was a 300hp v6. It did more than I ever needed it to. My gf's boat has a 4 cylinder with i think 140hp(?) and if it wasnt for the prop being so tore up and shitty it would have a decent amount of power and last week we still pulled 4 people on tubes with 4 others in the boat. Little slow getting out of the water but again I think a new prop would make the difference. I would want a little more power than what it has myself but I think a nice V6 would be a happy medium when it comes to fuel/power. If $120 every weekend is nothing to you then I would say go V8.

i thought it was 190? and is my boat really only a 4cyl?

I will work on my dad about getting a new prop...maybe he'll give in after this season...just maybe

Just cus youve had great love owning a boat doesnt mean everyone does:eek:

A lot of people love owning a boat.

People who don't love owning a boat:

- Buy one with problems, and are typically the people that can't work on stuff themselves.

- Buy a boat, and rarely use it. A number of those people buy one but are too far from any source of water - Sean is my neighbor, and we are ~3 minutes from the O'Shaughnassy (always spell it wrong) boat ramp, and about 12 minutes from Alum Creek Marina. Boating is easy for us. People that don't have time to boat, or make excuses not to boat are others that are not happy boat owners. Our condo was 3 minutes from the Griggs boat ramp. My Reynoldsburg house was the biggest drive, but I still enjoyed it even at 30 minutes to an hour of driving for the places I went...I am a bit more dedicated than some, I will admit.

- Those who won't boat unless it is a full boat. All of our friends are invited any time we go, but we are going regardless of whether you come or not, and we probably aren't going to wait around for you. We will meet you at the dock though. :)

- Those who just can't figure out the in/out procedure. If it takes you more than a minute to get the boat off the trailer once you got it in the water, you are doing something wrong. Same goes for once the trailer is in the water and the driver puts the boat on it, your better be off in less than a minute as well. Those frustrated at the ramps hate boating. Those of us that have it down on boat prep at the house, at the ramp, in/out, and cleanup love boating because we keep the BS to a minimum. You want to enjoy boating, not dealing with all the stuff around it.

My wife and I love boating. I replaced the belt I snapped last Friday after work today (had trouble finding one...it lasted 20 years, so I can't complain, lol). Swapped it out, hooked up the boat to the Avalanche, and my wife and I cruised Alum Creek this evening for a couple of hours. Had a nice bottle of wine out there and enjoyed ourselves. No hassle, no BS, just boating.

Sean, if there are any boats you are serious about, I will go take a look with you. We really should put anything you are set on buying in the water before making a purchase. My Avalanche is all set up for towing, and we can grab the plate off of my trailer on anything you want to look at.

A lot of people love owning a boat.

People who don't love owning a boat:

- Buy one with problems, and are typically the people that can't work on stuff themselves.

- Buy a boat, and rarely use it. A number of those people buy one but are too far from any source of water - Sean is my neighbor, and we are ~3 minutes from the O'Shaughnassy (always spell it wrong) boat ramp, and about 12 minutes from Alum Creek Marina. Boating is easy for us. People that don't have time to boat, or make excuses not to boat are others that are not happy boat owners. Our condo was 3 minutes from the Griggs boat ramp. My Reynoldsburg house was the biggest drive, but I still enjoyed it even at 30 minutes to an hour of driving for the places I went...I am a bit more dedicated than some, I will admit.

- Those who won't boat unless it is a full boat. All of our friends are invited any time we go, but we are going regardless of whether you come or not, and we probably aren't going to wait around for you. We will meet you at the dock though. :)

- Those who just can't figure out the in/out procedure. If it takes you more than a minute to get the boat off the trailer once you got it in the water, you are doing something wrong. Same goes for once the trailer is in the water and the driver puts the boat on it, your better be off in less than a minute as well. Those frustrated at the ramps hate boating. Those of us that have it down on boat prep at the house, at the ramp, in/out, and cleanup love boating because we keep the BS to a minimum. You want to enjoy boating, not dealing with all the stuff around it.

My wife and I love boating. I replaced the belt I snapped last Friday after work today (had trouble finding one...it lasted 20 years, so I can't complain, lol). Swapped it out, hooked up the boat to the Avalanche, and my wife and I cruised Alum Creek this evening for a couple of hours. Had a nice bottle of wine out there and enjoyed ourselves. No hassle, no BS, just boating.

Sean, if there are any boats you are serious about, I will go take a look with you. We really should put anything you are set on buying in the water before making a purchase. My Avalanche is all set up for towing, and we can grab the plate off of my trailer on anything you want to look at.

I agree with all of that but I have also grown up on the water my whole life with boats and jet skis so they are a part of my life. I went 4 years without either and it killed me every summer. Now I have a fishing boat and 3 skis and looking for a wake boat.

P.S. How come you dont make it out to Alum on Thurs if your so close? Word on the street is that some of us are doing a little wakeboarding this week and I am sure we could use some tips from someone who is prob much better than us.

P.S. How come you dont make it out to Alum on Thurs if your so close? Word on the street is that some of us are doing a little wakeboarding this week and I am sure we could use some tips from someone who is prob much better than us.

We just moved up here a couple weeks ago. And from the water I saw last night, I would have just went tubing there last night. If I were going wakeboarding, I'd go to O'Shannasy - much flatter water.

And I wouldn't say I am any sort of expert at wakeboarding. I can do a couple of surface tricks and get a little air, but I haven't been boarding that long. I used to slalom ski a lot, and moved over to wakeboarding.

We just moved up here a couple weeks ago. And from the water I saw last night, I would have just went tubing there last night. If I were going wakeboarding, I'd go to O'Shannasy - much flatter water.

And I wouldn't say I am any sort of expert at wakeboarding. I can do a couple of surface tricks and get a little air, but I haven't been boarding that long. I used to slalom ski a lot, and moved over to wakeboarding.

Most Thurs we go out the water is a little choppy when we first get there but back in the long cove its usually calm and after about the first hour usually the whole lake is flat. There are a lot more wakeboarders up there this year. I bet we see a couple wake boats out there tom.

As far as tricks I think Andrew is the only one of us that can get any amount of air without getting hurt. I don't know how advanced his other tricks are, I havent been boarding with him this season yet either.

You are welcome to come out with us on any Thurs. I still wanted to talk to you about that board if you still had it also, but I wouldn't mind any advise or tips, and I am sure Shanton wouldn't mind seeing some one go that is at any level above ours. I am still working on landing any kind of jumps. I havent got any type of air since I was about 15 when I was little and didn't have a problem landing anything with little skill.

This looks like a really nice candidate. It sounds like its everything you were looking for in the price range right?

Yeah, it's about dead on and looks in fantastic shape... :)