Group Ride Arguing

flounder

Have you wrecked on a large (10+ bikes) group ride?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Have you wrecked on a large (10+ bikes) group ride?

• Yes
    • No

What!! I'm the only one?? What gives??

My very first 'real' street ride. I was in way over my head. Nobody's fault but my own. Newb syndrome' date=' trying to keep up, had put in over 300 miles and just started to fatigue. I came on a downhill, right hand turn that happened to have gravel strewn across it. I went wide to avoid the gravel and I ended up in the berm. The bike was slowing down and the front tire hit a rut, cocked the bars and launched me like a trebuchet. I landed about 20, or so, feet in front of my bike. It sucked.[/quote']

squid :lol:;)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:nono:

Accidents have nothing to do with group rides or people on Ohio Riders. They happen, and usually because of people screwing around or riding above their head. That's all I'm saying.

The following has nothing to do with OR, it is just a general statement:

It is my personal belief that POORLY organized and structured group rides can exacerbate the root causes of crashes, such as inexperience, ego aka pushing harder than you should, putting to much faith in the rider in front of you, deciding to ride on worn tires, etc....

Group rides also can provide a level of safety above solo riding if done correctly.

my first year and half of riding i was always the guy in the back. so i never had to feel like i was holding anyone up.

Ummm BS.. you know that is all mine.. Another reason I love my loud exhaust...:D

on a side note, I'm not going to jinx I hope but.. last year I went on 3 rides as a 6+ bike group and have yet to see someone go down.. I am talking REAL rides not (sorry Col guys) that 10 miles from gas station to taco bell shit. I am talking multi state 500+ mile rides....

It all boils down to riding with people with some kind of common sense.. I would have someone powder me in a min if I thought someone was being retarded around me..:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQg8CvJnjnM

ive heard the taco bell stories, i still dont understand why a bunch of ruff ryder types hang out at taco bell, and i still dont understand why some of you people go, haha

I go there to meet with people then go ride. I don't understand the hanging out there thing. Meet at gas station. Hang out. Ride 1min to Quaker. Hang out. Ride 5mins to Taco Bell. Hang out. I don't get it either.

It is my personal belief that POORLY organized and structured group rides can exacerbate the route causes of crashes, such as inexperience, ego aka pushing harder than you should, putting to much faith in the rider in front of you, deciding to ride on worn tires, etc....

Group rides also can provide a level of safety above solo riding if done correctly.

I completely agree.

I have zero problem telling someone they are riding like a fucktard. I will then pack up and go home. I would rather be walking, and alive than have someone else fuck up my day, becasue they felt the need to show off.

Regardless of the size of the group. I will get there when I get there, safely, with or without the group. Usually at the tail end, cause I'm just cruisin.

I was only in one ride last year with 10+ bikes. It was the Charity ride. That was also my first highway ride. So I was a newb. But I learned things on that one. Like what and what not to do in a large group.

There is nothing wrong with large group rides so long as there is sufficient maps, meeting place info, etc...like we did last year for Hocking. This lets people ride their own pace, forming small groups without feeling pressured to "keep up."

In my opinion, people that have a negative view on group rides are usually the ones who have either done a poor job planning a ride or crashed during poorly planned rides.

:nono:

Accidents have nothing to do with group rides or people on Ohio Riders. They happen, and usually because of people screwing around or riding above their head. That's all I'm saying.

+1

It is my personal belief that POORLY organized and structured group rides can exacerbate the root causes of crashes, such as inexperience, ego aka pushing harder than you should, putting to much faith in the rider in front of you, deciding to ride on worn tires, etc....

+1 Beat me to it.:)

Ummm BS.. you know that is all mine.. Another reason I love my loud exhaust...:D

ok you got me there, i was up front that day.

and you are right our trip was a blast everyone rode level headed (kinda :lol:) and we all made it back home safely 700 miles later

I was only in one ride last year with 10+ bikes. It was the Charity ride. That was also my first highway ride. So I was a newb. But I learned things on that one. Like what and what not to do in a large group.

That was a fun ride.

about everytime we ride in coshocton its 6+ ppl. yes we have had wrecks but we ride pretty much everyday. so our % of wrecks to rides is low. i have personally wreck with no more then 3 ppl inculding myself in the ride. and one time i was puttying around so slow my fat ass coulda been running faster then i was riding haha. i usually try to stay with the guys i have rode with before or see they know how to ride, if its a large group.

Safe group rides:

-Ride the "PACE" (if you don't know what this is look it up)

-Leader waits at intersections/turn-offs for everybody to catch up

-If group is larger with varied skill levels and bikes, split into smaller groups with leaders of smaller groups waiting/keeping track of riders in their group

-Make sure there are at least a few cell phones and phone numbers exchanged

-Very large group rides (i.e. Hocking 2008) need to have maps and designated meeting places

-Don't follow too closely/ride like a jackass

-Make sure bike is mechanically sound

-Make sure rider is physically sound

Lots of other stuff but these are the first few that came to mind.

Safe group rides:

-Ride the "PACE" (if you don't know what this is look it up)

-Leader waits at intersections/turn-offs for everybody to catch up

-If group is larger with varied skill levels and bikes, split into smaller groups with leaders of smaller groups waiting/keeping track of riders in their group

-Make sure there are at least a few cell phones and phone numbers exchanged

-Very large group rides (i.e. Hocking 2008) need to have maps and designated meeting places

-Don't follow too closely/ride like a jackass

-Make sure bike is mechanically sound

-Make sure rider is physically sound

Lots of other stuff but these are the first few that came to mind.

http://www.sportrider.com/ride/146_9306_motorcycle_pacing/index.html

^^^^^^ Great article EVERYONE should read.

I also forgot to add that if you are relying on a sweep rider to make sure everyone is making it safely, this rider should know the route and be experienced enough not to push themselves to keep up (not a good place for the unexperienced to be riding).

I added the one you forgot!! :p

:lol: I thought that was assumed..:confused:

There is nothing wrong with big group rides! All it takes is one person talking to everyone at the start of the ride so everyone knows hand and foot sighns and the 1 over 3 back rule. It is always possible for riders to go down in a big pack because of people riding over their heads and thats the biggest problem with group rides period! It is nice to be in a big group because if your bike goes over a hill you will have plenty of help to get the bike back to the road. I will be leading the slower pack this year like i was talking about in the Junkies thread!

on a side note, I'm not going to jinx I hope but.. last year I went on 3 rides as a 6+ bike group and have yet to see someone go down.. I am talking REAL rides not (sorry Col guys) that 10 miles from gas station to taco bell shit. I am talking multi state 500+ mile rides....

It all boils down to riding with people with some kind of common sense..

I didn't want to jinx us either (knock on wood here)......Plus I think we usually had 6-8 bikes...Not quite 10. Aside from Greg apparently havin' a low speed lay down to avoid a deer.....We were pretty lucky last season. Of course.....I think the intent/nature of our rides is a bit different. I enjoy the destination type rides the best.....Pick someplace we wanna check out/place we wanna eat, and then find some nice twisties to get us there. The ride is just part of the days journey/adventure. Having a track day on public roads isn't usually my sole purpose for saddlin' up

But this concern we're discussing here is the whole reason I usually put that blurb at the beginning of my planning threads...laying down some general guidelines. I know it probably turns some people off, or makes me seem boring &/or parental.....but if it keeps the squids from becoming interested....Then so be it.

I'm no Ricky Racer, & don't have the skills of some on here......But like I always say when we're planning a ride......As long as everyone has fun, & returns in the same shape they left.......I call it a good day thumb.gif