**Huge Gains On just a Tune Look inside!!!**

Evolved8

I'm not trying to be a jerk here I just don't want judged on something that was clearly unfinished. its almost a year later and he just now is fixing the clutch. He also talked to me a few times afterwards never talking about a single problem.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Removed
I'm not trying to be a jerk here I just don't want judged on something that was clearly unfinished. its almost a year later and he just now is fixing the clutch. He also talked to me a few times afterwards never talking about a single problem.

clutch has been fixed for a month or so...

edit..

you can see the date it was here, in the pic

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=296&pictureid=2518

Edited by Removed

he wants to buff you up..

he sure is not as tall, but cant say he is all buff :confused:...i really dont go around checking out customers

I used to pump with him in the weight room and i noticed his buffness. He always said he liked lifting cause it felt like he was cumming or something. He was an odd man.

Last time I talked to the kid was last year... shit was cool then so I'm just curious what happened. It bugs the piss out of me. I don't discount it drove like piss when you recieved it I trust robs judgment but when I talked to him last he said it was good but that was last year, The kid had my number.

Since they changed it to a MBC. I'm betting that the car had problems with the BCS which would explain bucking and such. Myself and Kevin can both attest to that as we had him driving the car around after I had finished that day.

Descent numbers thought.

I drove this car while Thorne tuned it.

1st. This car could barely stay running when we first took it out of his driveway.

2nd. We got it running decent, and told him he had a severe issue with his clutch. We told him it could make ALOT more power, but we wanted to extended the life of his clutch vs making the most power.

3rd. It sounds like some extra mods had been added to the car, which could have thrown the IAM off.

4th. While a tune did contribute to alot of power, I don't think it is right to say the previous tune was bad. After driving the car for hours, street tuning it around Columbus, I could tell you the car drove, and made boost 500% better than Thorne and I first started driving the car.

Thanks for chiming in kevin. I know the car may have been mild but it sure would have made more the 180. But with out logs its hard to know. He could post his map and show how much of a problem I had. If its that big of a change his map would have major changes above mine.

If they want to sit back and say it was JUST a tune then what ever.

I know how much time I had in the car, I know how the car was when it left my hands.

I'm not going to go any further, If slomo wants to not post the logs or give an explanation that's fine.

Edited by Thorne

I think some clarifaction is in order.

Thorne- What parts did this car have when you tuned it?

Corey- Same question for you. Also,what did you fix mechanically? Obviously it had some issue/issues. Bad BCS?boost leaks? What? Did you guys add any parts?

From what I'm reading,the car had alot of new parts put on it after Thorne tuned it. Being an experienced tuner,I can tell you that adding parts to a nearly stock Subaru without getting it retuned is a no-no. Cat-back is ok. Panel filter is ok. Anything else and you had better call a tuner.

I have seen Subaru's that run deathly lean. And are pulling -5 deg. of learned timing even after the IAM had dropped to a point where it started using the Primary Failsafe fuel/ignitioin maps. All from simply changing the intake.

Kind of screwed up. But it happens.

When I tuned it

Up / Down Catback

EWG

Vf39

Modded injectors and a wal255lph.

Thats it, I honestly think it had a BCS issue which would explain the problems but I don't know it took a year later before this problem was brought up. He drove it I road with him around on the street on the freeway wot and standard driving.

1. BCS

2. Leak

3. IAM @ 12 after ecu reset/pulling map (I would do this first if I was tuning the car)

I pmed them asking about logs and why they put the halman on. They ignored me asking about logs and just told me they like the halman over stock control.

For drivablity a properly tuned BCS gives you way better control to avoid partial throttle full boost, They've tuned other cars using the Stock BCS. The only time I would switch to a MBC is.

1. BCS dead or acting up. This happens allot in my experiance

2. Need more boost

3. Requested by the owner of the car

In Reality this was nothing more then Marketing Fluff to make there selves look awesome. I posted my MAP up for review by everyone thought not many people on here do subarus.

Anyone who knows how to tune or have experiance in it know that a MAP does not just stop working. Rob said it did not run well after he was done working on the car which during that time the battery was disconnected.

I always tune other peoples cars with safety in mind hence starting the IAM @ 12 and forcing the car to learn. Like I said a reset before dynoing would have totally screwed it up and severly retarded the timing.

Quick summary of subarus Knock control.

IAM on a subaru is a multiplyer for deciding how much timing to use out of the Kc table on top of the base map. A car should be @ a iam of 16 for any dyno pulle and normally when tuning on the dyno you lock the map at 16.

A IAM of 12 would mean that the KC table would not be running its full value. So any dyno pull like that would result in really bad results.

Maybe I messed something, but I didn't take the original post to be about bashing anyone's tuning skills, just typical promotional stuff I would expect from any shop like "Hey look at the sweet gains we made here over another unknown tune, obviously we know what we're doing". In a later post it seems like they're intentionally trying to keep everyone from turning it into an accusational post, even though it appears Thorne has taken it that way. I didn't see anything saying the prior tuner is a hack or making any sort of attacks like "Thore are dumb and can't toonz - Lite Wate!", it looks just like any of their other posts simply showing nice gains and what they have done to it.

I see that several posts are edited, so maybe I'm just missing something, but from what I see posted currently I don't understand why the big public defense case was started when from what I see there was no accusation. Perhaps somethign was said on another forum? No one here would probably even know that Thorne had tuned the car until he said so. I can unserstand being passionate about it when you're involved but maybe this place would be a bit more civil if everyone didn't take what is said (or not said) on the internets so seriously.

The piece non subaru people are not seeing is that a stock turbo WRX with 0 mods makes almost the same power.

I edited allot of posts to clean up the way I presented things to make them more mature. I'm just frustrated and since there are only a handful of subaru tuners in columbus it would be easy to figure out who worked on the car.

I am trying to be as tactful as I can, I'm doing my best to not bash slomo as I've never had a issue with them and bought things from them in the past when IPS did not have the parts I needed.

Cliffs

1. Slomo posts some dynos showing a HUGE gain

2. I see the posts and decide to investigate.

3. I found out I worked on the car and it was a car that I had a lot of time in.

4. I ask for an explanation and I'm ignored.

5. I post up the map(FROM grants car as I save all maps) and dyno of a car running a similar with similar timing/fuel targets.

If slomo feels this is the best way to present there data so be it. They know and I know something is afoul here and it is in there best intreast to not go into what the deal is. I'm not here to have a pissing contest on who the better tuner is. Cory has done lots of hondas that run great.

This reminds me of the old saying, "if you drag someone through the mud you are going to get dirty too." I have to say that the way the first post initially made it sound it was like someone tuned the WRX....nothing changes and they tune the WRX.....they see all these gains. This way of presenting it and the way they talked about the "other tuner" who did the car previously made it try and sound like all of these gains were based off of their tuning skills alone and not acknowledge the fact that the car had other issues.

Again, this is just my opinion of how the thread looked to me, I am not saying anything about anybody or their tuning skills.

Edited by Littleguy
clairity

BTW I wonder if they replaced the Leaking Uppipe. To my recollection the car had a leaking uppipe and the bendy piece. It was very small.

I'm looking through out look and stuff trying to find his number. I would like to txt him and at the very least ask him when the car started acting up.

Edited by Thorne

It seems like if SloMo didn't want this to happen they wouldn't have presented it the way they did. They brought up the other tune and made it sound like the gains were just from that. Did they not think people were going to ask who tuned it first? They should have just said here is a WRX we tuned, and not brought up the other stuff if they didn't want it talked about.

meh, but they never said who the tuner was. I would have presented it the same way. It looks like they know what they are doing, its street cred. I have a feeling this car was fucked up before it was tuned. All due respect Miller, grant probly drives the SHIT outta that thing lol

Some of the first questions where about who tuned it along with people offering up to tell who it was.

Again I learned to never help someone out, I should have left the car sitting on the side of the road instead of leaving work early to help out.

I really think I'm being nice here. All things considered. I'm not trashing the shop, I'm not insulting the tune/dyno#'s . I'm not even attacking the shop, I'm just asking for proof which i think is fair. I would do the same if the roles where reversed.

meh, but they never said who the tuner was. I would have presented it the same way. It looks like they know what they are doing, its street cred. I have a feeling this car was fucked up before it was tuned. All due respect Miller, grant probly drives the SHIT outta that thing lol

There are a total of like 4 Subaru Tuners in columbus. 3 posts in people were asking who the tuner was and offers were made to answer that.

Tuners who tune more then just there cars.

Eric @ ATS

Bill @ me helping people out.

Cory/shrek @ Slomo

Willaty @ TiC / NA subaru tuner

Meade isn't really around any more.

Yeah, that's pretty much true.

Thorne - http://hankfap.ytmnd.com/ - and no more pm's.

Yeah, that's pretty much true.

Thorne - http://hankfap.ytmnd.com/ - and no more pm's.

Thats awesome. Don't answer me then. Your the one who called me on the side of the road after you "Worked" on his car.

- I bailed your ass out plain and simple and you know it. I'm not sure why you would do that to me. He paid you to work on his car too. I don't rember you giving me cash for helping you.

I'm not sure honestly I sent them a PM asking for info about it and to see the logs. Look at the intial spike on the dyno of "My Tune". That is indicative of a fucked up BCS.

I'm trying to get ahold of grant myself so I can ask him about it and to ask him if they charged him for anything beyond a basic tune.