I Hate Driving Texters

Wease

they just introduced a bill to make it a 250 dollar fine if you crash b/c you're texting and driving.

i say it should be more though. studies show that texting drivers are MORE imparied than drunk drivers. a person driving at the legal limit of .08 has MORE control than a texter. therefore, IMO the penalties should be the same. either texting and driving should be 6 months and 1000 dollars for your first offense, or a DUI should be 250 bucks.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they just introduced a bill to make it a 250 dollar fine if you crash b/c you're texting and driving.

i say it should be more though. studies show that texting drivers are MORE imparied than drunk drivers. a person driving at the legal limit of .08 has MORE control than a texter. therefore, IMO the penalties should be the same. either texting and driving should be 6 months and 1000 dollars for your first offense, or a DUI should be 250 bucks.

Ya know one should be doing anything while driving but there's no way to prove that the person was texting while driving.

Ya know one should be doing anything while driving but there's no way to prove that the person was texting while driving.

actually there is. subpoena cellular companies for records of x driver's text messages in the time leading up to an accident.

i agree with cop dude. if drinking is legal and texting is legal, then why is one more illegal to do while driving if they're both shown to be bad?

i think our justice system is reaching a critical mass of retardation and needs to be purged. so much law could be rewritten to be so much clearer.

Guest tbutera2112
actually there is. subpoena cellular companies for records of x driver's text messages in the time leading up to an accident.

i agree with cop dude. if drinking is legal and texting is legal, then why is one more illegal to do while driving if they're both shown to be bad?

i think our justice system is reaching a critical mass of retardation and needs to be purged. so much law could be rewritten to be so much clearer.

umm... youre saying if someone takes 5 seconds to send a txt message theyre just as dangerous as somebody who stumbles out of a bar and barely even knows what car theyre trying to find?

i said a person at .08 not .34 :rolleyes:

but yes. the person at .08 has MORE control than the texter. texting and driving is driving blind.

you are 4 times more likely to have a crash at .08 than someone who is sober.

you are EIGHT times more likely to have a crash texting than someone NOT texting.

Guest tbutera2112
uh, yes they do.

but my point was, you said "someone stumbling who barely knows what car is theirs". thats not .08

and my point is, if you get a DUI, its a DUI.... its not going to matter if youre .08, .10, or if you dont blow at all...youre still getting 6months and 1000 dollar fine....

essentially youre saying the fine for txting and driving, even if its sending one txt, should be the same as a DUI....so driving with .34 bac and sending one txt would then be equal crimes and punished the same....i realize youre saying .08, but that doesnt matter.... if you blow .08 and if you blow .34, youre still getting the dui, and still getting 6months $1000

the state of ohio, if you test at .17 or higher, you are arrested for high test DUI. you have to wait a minimum of 14 days before getting driving privileges. yellow plates are optional for a regular DUI. a high test they are mandatory. a lock device is optional with either (blow before you can drive thing). also, with a high test you get mandatory 6 days in jail (or 3 days, with 3 day intervention program). your license can be suspended longer, and you can be fined more...

and it DOES matter if you dont blow (protip: never submit to any of their tests. dont blow, dont pee, dont give them blood) but thats another post...

anyway what im saying is this: if a txting driver is shown to be more imparied than a drunk driver, then the penalties should reflect that. thats all.

ok what if the drive let's there friend use her phone and they run the records and see that there was a cell phone in use but the driver didn't use it?.. I'm just messing with you guys don't think i'm an ass or anything lol.. I think there's more dangerous people out there then texters

she may have simply been looking up a number on her phone. often times I'll make calls on my blackberry and you have to begin typing the name of the contact as it then pulls up the contact from the directory. I have so many contacts that voice dialing doesn't work.

no difference I suppose, but I've never come close to an accident. not much different than all the folks messing around with navigation systems while driving.

That's the way I feel seatbelts can save you or hurt you in diff crashes

yes, and it is the way i feel if you die in a crash from not wearing a seatbelt, then you were too retarded anyway... Darwin did his work. the end.

After reading some of your posts, I think you should be careful, I think darwin might have his sights set in your direction.

I do it...can't lie. Not to mention w/out a seatbelt..I hate wearing it.

thats cool seriously just put in your will that we can't mourn and have cruises in your honor if you choose to do something wreckless or because it inconveniences you

she may have simply been looking up a number on her phone. often times I'll make calls on my blackberry and you have to begin typing the name of the contact as it then pulls up the contact from the directory. I have so many contacts that voice dialing doesn't work.

no difference I suppose, but I've never come close to an accident. not much different than all the folks messing around with navigation systems while driving.

I agree, I've done that too (looking up a number), but I'd just had enough of seeing people texting and driving and figured I'd wake her ass up. :D

On a somewhat related incident, a few weeks ago I was in the turning lane for Kroger on Powell Rd. heading west at the red light when an SUV just blew through the red light at about 35 MPH. :rolleyes: The light had been red for a good 20 seconds and fortunately, no cars were going through the light from the other way. I leaned on my horn and they hit the brakes pretty good. I think they figured out what they did. I threw my hands up and the car across from me did the same thing, LOL. I have no proof, but I'm willing to bet they were fucking with their cell phone. How else could you run a red light like that? :mad:

I care about my messages more then public safety. Honestly if some dumbass kills themselves while texting, good ridance. If they take out some other idiots when they die, fuck it, collateral damage. The world needs less idiots, let them kill themselves off, I'll take my chances until they're gone.

Dont you technically qualify as an idiot?

Seatbelts are a pain in the A$$ it should be our decision to wear or not to wear

would you want your taxpayer dollars going towards useful programs or paying work crews to scrape someone's bloody mess off the asphalt because they weren't wearing a seatbelt. i agree that many peoples lives have been saved by not wearing seatbelts, but it shouldnt be an issue of choice, just like bikers should HAVE to wear helmets cuz, hell, why not?