Apple guys: I have joined the dark side...

justinwebb

Well just bought my first apple product (shudder) just bought a 16 GB 3GS white iphone. What all should i do now that I have it. Still gotta get all my contacts and such but what are some good sites and such. Is it possible to jail break the 3gs? Hopefully spaceghost will chime in haha.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate JB phones, such a hassle.

Not sure I follow it either but then I don't quite really understand it. Are most doing it to avoid buying apps? If I find a good application, I have no problem paying a small fee. I've seen some pretty expensive ones though.

I may come to the darkside with a GS soon. Still not liking the keyboard though.

JB you can skirt a few apple restrictions, like some apps can't be used on 3g, only wi-fi, so you jailbreak and run an app that defeats that. Then when a new OS update comes out all the jailbreakers are like this sucks I have to wait for the dev team to break the update..... My brother in law has a 3gs Jailbroken, all he really does is make it look prettier with different icons and backgrounds. I never see any backgrounds and themes that look good, my god the one Putty had for OSU was so busy I almost went into seizure looking at a screen shot let alone using the phone. My god most apps are free and others are $1-$3. :o how can I swing that?

All you have to realize is the iPhone keyboard types the letter when you lift your finger, not when you press it. Once you understand that it's great. Change is bad..... It rubs the lotion on it's back....

yea i plan on jailbreaking it later on today doesnt seem that hard, not quite sure whether to use redsn0w or purplera1n. I plan on using it for web surfing, pics, chatting, and music like pandora and such. I have found a ton of free apps and such that is the same stuff i use now. Do you know of any good cases? i read where some actually scratch the phone after using it for a while.

I hate JB phones, such a hassle.

Jailbreaking a phone takes 10 minutes, and almost no work.

also, your explaination of the capabilities of a jailbroken phone are very inaccurate.

Then when a new OS update comes out all the jailbreakers are like this sucks I have to wait for the dev team to break the update.....

It doesn't take them more than a few days usually to break the new software.

Jailbreaking allows people to do the things with the iPhone that Apple will not allow out of the box. Also, many of the Apps that do not get approved for sale on the App Store end up on Cydia and Icy.

A good example is the Flashlight app, an app that used to be sold on the App Store, but was removed because it hacked the iPhones brightness to make the screen a much better flashlight. You can get it on Cydia for free.

In addition, just like the app store, there are apps that you have to buy, like the full version of PDANet for example, which allows you to easily tether your iPhone to any device that has WiFi and use it to share internet access.

Some of the Cydia and Icy apps I use:

Cycorder - Lets me use my 3G as a video camera, which isn't a problem for you as you have a 3GS.

WinterBoard - Complete customization of the look and feel of the iPhone interface.

Flashlight - Self explanatory.

xGPS - Turn by Turn directions for the iPhone, haven't gotten to mess too much with it yet, but seen videos of it being used.

ClearCam - Takes several images of the same thing, and averages them together to get a better quality picture. Also not really a big deal for you since you have a 3GS.

OpenSSH - Allows you to SSH into your phone to retrieve data (like getting the videos from Cycorder and such)

iMobileCinema - An addon for Safari that allows you to watch Flash videos embedded in pages.

UserAgent Faker - Tells websites you are running a regular browser, so you don't get diverted to mobile versions of websites.

MxTube - Allows you to watch and download YouTube videos, which you can retrieve with SSH.

So basically, in short, SpaceGhost really has no idea what he is talking about...

Also, these are the best skins money can buy for the iPhone.

http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet/the-88/iPhone-3G-Skin/Detail

once jailbroken can i then revert back to normal firmware if a problem arises or i just dont feel i use all options with a jailbroken phone. Also, how does one tether with this phone...i am guessing it needs to be jailbroken

Yes, just tell iTunes to restore the phone, but you won't have any problems unless you start to do some really hardcore hacking shit.

To tether, you have a few options. One is going help.benm.at with Safari mobile, and downling the hack to enable developer mode and tethering on the phone. The other, much safer way (ive had problems with benm.at) is to jailbreak. I suggest iPhoneModem or PDANet.

Jailbreak it and i'll get you access to all the apps and games you want for FREE. I just installed the new TomTom app that's $99.99 for free. It's great!

Also, I have a 3GS and it took less than 10 mins to jailbreak it. It didn't even wipe it. Rebooted...was same as before.

You download the app from a site like this http://www.vnmstore.net/?cmd=idx&cid=&p=30

Then you install and app called "appsync" onto your phone from Cydia. Not an app you use...it installs something the phone uses. Then you take the file you pulled from the site I posted and drag it to iTunes. Top left you have library, music, etc. There will be an "Applications" that appears there after you drag the file in. Then click your iphone on the left side and select applications and tell it to start syncing them. Hit apply and it syncs the app you just dragged in. Now it appears on phone.

I have a link to the TomTom if you want it. The damn app takes up 1.20gb on the phone. Then you keep it simple like this and you wont have any performance issues. If you start the whole themes and stuff, it slows you down.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/CLovaR1/a4dc2d30.jpg