Recommendations

3.1cutlass

So I am turning 21 next week and will be in the market for a handgun and getting my CCW. I would like some input from you guys as far as what would be a good gun to get as my first gun. I was thinking a 9mm but am very open to what you guys that know far more than me have to say.

What does something like that usually cost to do? That sounds like fun.

no but seriously the gf and i went to the powder room for an hour a few weeks back, rented a gun, bought 100rounds of ammo and a few targets, it was less than $30 altogether...and it was fun!

So I am turning 21 next week and will be in the market for a handgun and getting my CCW. I would like some input from you guys as far as what would be a good gun to get as my first gun. I was thinking a 9mm but am very open to what you guys that know far more than me have to say.

Glock 26 w/ a grip extension. That's all.

Yeah, pretty much it is your normal range fees ($15-20), ammo (depends on what you need), and the rental fee for the gun ($5-10), and your targets. This really won't be something you can do in one day. And even if you find one you like, try it a few times with different brands and kinds of loads and see what you like.

Look into the Springfield XD series. They are a good accurate shooter for a first gun to own, but like everyone said try out everything and see what fits your hand the best. My USP feels like it was molded exactly for my hand by the gods.

There are too many choices out there for someone to tell you what is best for you. It comes down to what size frame you can comfortably carry, what caliber you are accurate with, and what fits your hand well enough to be accurate with. Then throw in price and availability, and you end up with a ton of options, all of which are good for someone.

I personally love 1911's, but they are low capacity and not easy to carry. My carry gun is an XD because its the same basic size and shape as a 1911, but is more reliable, carries more ammo and is a subcompact model. A lot of people love glocks, I don't. There are several dozen revolvers that could work if you are into that kind of thing. Bersa's are good carry guns if you can find one, and don't mind .380. Rugers are fat and heavy, but reliable and cheap. HK's are real nice, but real expensive.

There are plenty of others to mention, but what it comes down to is that buying a gun is like buying a car, gotta take some test drives.

Another thing to consider is, are you a big guy/ little guy or do you wear loose/ baggy or snug clothing. That will help you figure out what size of firearm you would be able to easily conceal. Ive seen a couple people conceal fullsize 1911's with no problems but, not everyone can really pull it off well. Also, you need to figure out where you would most likely conceal it, hip, ankle, or an under arm type holster.

My Glock 21 SF fits my hand perfectly as well, but so did a Springfield single-stack 1911 which seemed to wake up the nerve damage in my hand and wrist, cuasing me to fire about 4 surprisingly accurate shots then put the gun down exclaiming "damn, that hurt!" I went with the Glock instead, but based on just holding the two, I would have taken the 1911 immediately. I actually don't shoot the Glock any better at first, but no pain through a whole magazine so I don't have to worry about taking a couple shots and losing my abilities due to weakness and pain in my hand. It's not a consideration for everyone, but if you have any propensity toward carpal tunnel problems, etc. there it is. Shoot first, then buy, and don't believe any gun magazines BS.

That's stupidly expensive. I have to assume its a double stack, which means its not a true 1911 and a lot of parts won't be interchangeable. I'd rather go with the Springfield 9mm (forget the name right now) that is based off the 1911, but redesigned to actually work.