Next time your in SE Ohio and think you're alone

TTQ B4U

Think again.....

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg378/pdqgp/IMG_8092copy_web.jpg

While out with the family and in-laws enjoying a picnic and stroll in the middle of the woods, we came across a little friend.

Not so little IMO. This is at just under 200mm which put him about 40' point to point from me. He was small, but that's a relative term when you're only 185lbs, holding a camera and have nothing to protect your two kids on you. At the exact moment, I was like "cool", then "oh shit, he's not full grown....is mama around?"

The last though going through my head is I left my CCW in my car about 1/2 mile away.

All was good of course, but I wasn't real comfortable sticking around and making a photo opt of the event. Black bears are usually solitary but he wasn't real afraid of us and seemed somewhat curious actually. Thankfully he bugged up the tree and seemed scared of the sound of a crunching water bottle.

And for all of those who say you won't find a bear in ohio..Thats an amazing picture, I haven't seen something like that in years!

Thanks for the kind words. I wish the photo was set properly, but I had zero clue what it was, then got up close and was in awe. Thus when I grabbed my camera, the settings were all way off, but I made what I could of it. Wasn't thinking pics at that point, rather, what to do with my kids. We were uncomfortably close and like I said, he was someone curious in the way he watched us and sniffed.

:finger: to those who always say climb a tree if you run across a bear in the woods. Idiots.

for a Grizzly, yes, climb a tree. however, go up high as they will try and get you. I remember a story about a jogger in Oregon that climbed up about 8ft and couldn't go any further. The bear eventually got her.

Black bears however, are great climbers thanks to their claws.

Here is the conversation.

Me-"Kids see that bear"

Kids-"Awww how cute"

Me-"No he eats faces"

Kids-"What?"

Me-"Nom Nom style"

Fantastic photo.

My honeymoon in hocking hills couple years ago the couple that owned the property told us to watch out for bears. We heard some large rustling in the woods but it was dark so could not see anything. Guess there is a good chance for a bear.

Not sure what you carry, but do you really think your CCW would have helped? ;)

Had my wife's car and her .357 with 180-gr. Winchester Supreme loaded in it. Not my first choice but given I don't expect to see a 250lb black bear I'd hope for the best. I know it can take down a 300lb Wild Boar though :) It was on my brother in laws property, so he's going to have to deal with it. Haven't bother his goats or Alpacas, chickens or anything. He does have 5 dogs out there on his property keeping the coyotes away so he should hear if it comes too close to their house or up near the lake.

Here is the conversation.

Me-"Kids see that bear"

Kids-"Awww how cute"

Me-"No he eats faces"

Kids-"What?"

Me-"Nom Nom style"

That was win.

Other than that, those pictures are awesome! The bear just looks curious... hes probably like

"WTF ARE THOSE!? Bet they dont see me behind this tree..."

I've always been told NEVER climb a tree, even for a grizzly. They'll play hell trying to get you even more if you climb as they think it's a game then. I'll side with the advice of many redneck hunters from WV, but thanks though. :D

Usually, if being chased by a grizzly, you wouldn't have the time to climb high enough to get above where it could reach you (I believe the highest point a grizzly has been seen to climb is 28 feet). Besides, trying to get away from a grizzly charge would almost certainly induce an attack.

And I'm not sure if I'd take advice from a bunch of rednecks where grizzlys arent even present. Maybe they saw a brown phase black bear? :D

We came withing about 15 feet of one down in the Great Smoky National Park this summer hiking. I definitely didn't stop to take pictures. :eek:

Cool picture. :bangbang:

My aunt and uncle have some land outside of Athens and I would have assumed that I'd never see a bear down there.

Usually, if being chased by a grizzly, you wouldn't have the time to climb high enough to get above where it could reach you (I believe the highest point a grizzly has been seen to climb is 28 feet). Besides, trying to get away from a grizzly charge would almost certainly induce an attack.

And I'm not sure if I'd take advice from a bunch of rednecks where grizzlys arent even present. Maybe they saw a brown phase black bear? :D

Yeah, the funny thing is, 90% of the time people give you advice yet they have never even seen a bear let alone had to "deal" with one. My brother-in-law is an avid hunter and trained woodsman for many states. I'll take his advice. ;)