Who knows about different builders? Housing that is

Twistedrx7

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I thought you said he was your uncle. Do you know if Carlo lives or lived up on africa? The name sounds familiar.

Meh, I don't wanna say where he lives. He's weird about his privacy. A lot of these big custom home builders are like that. Although I talk to Vince Romanelli every freakin time I am in Monte Carlo Kitchen in Westerville. He saw me with my Grandpa once, and now says hi to me all the time.

Funny story about them. I can't remember which was which, but Romanelli and Hughes, one was a carpenter and the other was a barber. They decided they could build houses, and off they went. Of course, it is weird not seeing the Italians run every aspect of building in Columbus anymore.

Jake I suggest weighing your options. Its your money. You can get a feel for where the market stands right now and if the house your looking at is a good investment. Have it inspected, and if things sound good, go for it. Just dont get new house shocked and jump into anything. Use an inspector with a good reputation. Not someone who knows a guy who met someone once. You need someone who knows what they are doing and looking for. Dont penny pinch and go with someone off craigslist trading his services as an inspector for a case of natty light.

I'll be good because this is not the right area. But they have a proven track record for doing dumb stuff. The first year I lived in the house was full of nonsense, poor customer service, and messed up paperwork. From a structural standpoint its actually pretty good... its the business side that they suck at. Edited by V8 Beast
not the kitchen

I'll be good because this is not the right area. But they have a proven track record for doing dumb stuff. The first year I lived in the house was full of nonsense, poor customer service, and messed up paperwork. From a structural standpoint its actually pretty good... its the business side that they suck at.

So how is that putting me in my place? What the hell have I been saying this whole thread?

With the stick houses all the major builders were putting out from about late 90s and on, you were at the mercy of what ever sub contractor worked on your individual house on any particular day. Its the builders fault from the standpoint where they new it was happening and they allowed it. I dont think there is any discrepency wether or not these builders seen the end was in sight and was just dumping house after house onto the market and approving almost everyone for a homeloan. Some people had great experiences and some didnt. Some people are nieve to wether they received a good deal or not.

With the stick houses all the major builders were putting out from about late 90s and on, you were at the mercy of what ever sub contractor worked on your individual house on any particular day. Its the builders fault from the standpoint where they new it was happening and they allowed it. I dont think there is any discrepency wether or not these builders seen the end was in sight and was just dumping house after house onto the market and approving almost everyone for a homeloan. Some people had great experiences and some didnt. Some people are nieve to wether they received a good deal or not.

For my $78/sq ft brand new, I think I got a pretty good deal.

So how is that putting me in my place? What the hell have I been saying this whole thread?

If you would have asked you would have found I agree with you from a structural standpoint. Its actually not bad, but I would not want anyone to have to deal with them. They tried to stick a bill on me for a simple touch up from the house settling. Told me I sent the people out, they had nothing to do with it, etc. It took 2 months to get that resolved and left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Edit: Looking at what I quoted it makes sense why you would assume I was talking about the build quality. My reply was based on the fact that you were promoting domion as a whole. Other than a leaky pipe my 6 years here have been uneventful. If the op is building a home I say stay away.. if he is buying a home that has already been built then go for it.

Edited by V8 Beast

Centex no longer sells new builds in Ohio. They got chased out of town. That should tell you something.

Maronda is crap

M/I and Dominion are the best new builds for the $$

If you want a condo Lifestyles is the way to go.

My dad used to be a major developer in Columbus. PM me with any questions.

I have a centex home and am very happy with it. Have had no real problems and the quality when built was a good as MI and Dominion. Plus Centex gave us the option to modify/change items that the other 2 would not allow us to do.

I am in the process of building a MI house in Blacklick right now. So far they have been easy to work with and responsive on any issues/questions I had. As far as quality goes, this is my first house and I don't have any background in home building/contracting, but so far there has been nothing obvious to me.

I have a centex home and am very happy with it. Have had no real problems and the quality when built was a good as MI and Dominion. Plus Centex gave us the option to modify/change items that the other 2 would not allow us to do.

I have a Centex home and we are very happy with it.

Jake you've been through my house, what did you think?