Tire air pressure question

Snowflake

What is the correct air pressure supposed to be in 22"tires on my truck that had 17" stock and is supposed to be 38psi cold according to Ford...

Ive been told to add 2psi for each size you go up which would put it at 48psi. Is this right?

I've heard of crap like that before, but 48 psi is too much. I'd stick with 38 honestly, you haven't changed the weight of the vehicle just the tire size. If it makes you feel better run 40, but you'll start wearing out the center of your tires.

I've heard of crap like that before, but 48 psi is too much. I'd stick with 38 honestly, you haven't changed the weight of the vehicle just the tire size. If it makes you feel better run 40, but you'll start wearing out the center of your tires.

I dont like the idea of 48psi just seems like to much. The place I got them told me to run 50psi in them...

I dont like the idea of 48psi just seems like to much. The place I got them told me to run 50psi in them...

What's max psi on the tires? If its only 44 I'd stay at 40, unless you actually have a higher load rating, check the sidewall of the tire.

You can't just go off of vehicle weight. The weight is spread out across the tire's footprint. So, if you car had tires 195mm wide from the factory, and you slap some 275mm-wide tires on, your footprint just grew substantially (even more if the tire is taller than stock), meaning much less weight is applied per square inch.

I just got back from a roadtrip to Charlotte in my truck. I set the tires at 40psi and had the cruise control locked in at 70mph most of the way. I got 17.69 mpg on my trip down with no A/C on.

Im good with that since the best I ever got without the 22's on it was a hair under 19 mpg.